Guitar cab or FRFR - and why?

• To Yamaha DXR 10 FRFR owners: would you also recommend using that as your only cab when playing in clubs without FOH? Up to now I‘ve been using a 1x12 EVM12L cab with my powered KPA.

francisco jent - 2 powered toasters & 1 remote

• Greg - you just need to try one. From what I can gather metal players either like or don't like the KPA. You sound like the kind of person that will be disappointed to be honest.

What don't you like about your current rig? Does it give you your sound?

• Others use midi controllers but I don't see the point/benefit.

The FCB1010 is the next best thing and pretty good ( I used one for about 1 year) but I agree with Squarehead, the remote is the best...

• To Yamaha DXR 10 FRFR owners: would you also recommend using that as your only cab when playing in clubs without FOH? Up to now I‘ve been using a 1x12 EVM12L cab with my powered KPA.

Prob better to start another thread but...alwasy try to use FOH anyway, even with a cab for sound balance. If the PA is just a vocal PA then you'll always struggle.

You can't beat a good PA regardless of venue.

IF you have no option, I would suggest 2 x12 or 4 x 12 will give a better spread than a 1x12 but the DXR has plenty of power. I would consider raising it up somehow...

• Prob better to start another thread but...alwasy try to use FOH anyway, even with a cab for sound balance. If the PA is just a vocal PA then you'll always struggle.
    You can't beat a good PA regardless of venue.

IF you have no option, I would suggest 2 x12 or 4 x 12 will give a better spread than a 1x12 but the DXR has plenty of power. I would consider raising it up somehow...

Thanks for your suggestion to start another thread - I was thinking so, too, but didn't want to 'litter the Forum'. I think I'll do it now anyway :)

Yes, you can't beat a good PA, but some of our venues don't have one, and we're not willing to bring and operate one. If there's no permament PA, we use our vocal PA.

I'm looking for a FRFR for more flexibility with CAB-sim on: Actually I'm sometimes using a JBL EON612 instead vof the 1x12, but I'm not so happy with it's sound.
    I do raise my 1x12 cab by 20", or the EON by 10" above floor, both to reduce bass boom. I want to have it behind me, hence I won't lift it up to ear level.

If by 'spread' you mean volume or range, I don't feel restricted there with the 600W KPA into a 200W Speaker. If you mean spread as coverage angle, I beg to differ. The wider the speaker, the more it beams high frequencies. For a small venues, I need maximum coverage angle, so a 1x12 is best among the guitar cabs, and a FRFR with a tweeter is even better.

francisco jent - 2 powered toasters & 1 remote

• In my experience, you will struggle to get equal coverage for your sound because its very directional off the backline. You'll blast people at the front of stage and won't be heard at the back.

Therefore longer term I'd still rethink your PA situation. Its a pain but I always insist on miking everything, including drums ( kick and snare at least) for that reason. Usually its not much more hassle as a decent PA is not much bigger than a vocal pa these days ( better with separate bass bin but not totally necessary). Otherwise you are compromising your sound as a band as you have less control, regardless of venue size. Conversely usually means you can play quieter as a whole - just my view.

When you say speaker wider, you mean range? I was talking more about physical spread not frequency range. A 4 x12 will cover more ground but I take your point that an FRFR will have a wider frequency range. However, certain frequencies will carry better than others so I think you'll still have problems.

I'd still ( and do occasionally) go for a 4 x12 if I'm ever forced to use my backline as part of the front line.

• v8 guitar... where do i get the chip for the bejringer pedal, and can it and the kemper be used to place rigs in an order? Lije a clean channel, tje i swotch to a high gain?

http://www.fcb1010.eu/

Yes, you can customize the foot switches (to some extent). It works in performance mode. I have mine setup where the bottom row is rigs and the top row is effects (and I easily customized which effect goes in which slot). You can also decide which pedal is designated for what use (volume, wah, expression, morph) and customize the curve as well. Very easy.

• http://www.fcb1010.eu/
    Yes, you can customize the foot switches (to some extent). It works in performance mode. I have mine setup where the bottom row is rigs and the top row is effects (and I easily customized which effect goes in which slot). You can also decide which pedal is designated for what use (volume, wah, expression, morph) and customize the curve as well. Very easy.

Yep...I used an Unochip I think which was relatively cheap and worked well..If I remember correctly you it functions just like the remote in that the 5 bottom buttons correspond to the 5 slots on the Kemper, so you put the rigs into the slots you want. The top bank are stomps but you can also reverse this to have stomps on the bottom.

You need 2 midi cables if you want to operate the tuner ( I think...memory is a bit hazy)...