Question for external power amp users.

• I have a power rack but I am considering getting a Matrix power amp. What is the best way to hook it up for live use? The XLR main outputs go to the soundboard and I keep the main outs set at -15 db. Is it best to send the main 1/4 left and right outputs to the power amp and control cabinets volume by the power amp itself or use the monitor out & direct out to the power amp and control the volume with the Kemper?

• I run the main out 1/4 in stereo the the Matrix and hit it with volume at 0.0 on the KPA. The Matrix prefers to be hit hard with signal. That setup was for when they miced my cabs. But if I run straight to the FOH I come out of the monitor cab out and still keep the signal at 0.0. Dont be afraid to push that Matrix it can handle it.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• Really so you crank the Kemper all the way up and use the Matrix power amp knobs to control the volume? Why do you not always use the monitor and direct outs with the Matrix? Is there any benifit to using the main outs to the monitor and direct outs?

• I have only tried your setup this past weekend, but here's what I did. I gave the soundman my XLR main output set at -12 dB, and sent the 1/4 monitor output into the power amp. I unlinked the XLR main, and linked the 1/4 monitor output to the master volume on the Kemper. That way I could adjust the volume for my cabinet without blasting the soundman's signal. My 1/4 monitor output was set to about -10 dB, and I turned up the power amp to the volume I needed. I may have adjusted the Kemper volume a bit more, there's a lot more volume I could coax out if it, but I used the power amp dial to get the stage volume I was comfortable with.

• Really so you crank the Kemper all the way up and use the Matrix power amp knobs to control the volume? Why do you not always use the monitor and direct outs with the Matrix? Is there any benifit to using the main outs to the monitor and direct outs?

Yes crank the Kemper. In the Matrix manual it talks about how it handles the signal and its output. The sounds is greatly improved with the Kemper pushing the Matrix very hard.

Some venues I perform at do not embrace the idea of a direct signal and prefer to mic the cabs. We only have 15 minutes to setup and break down. So no time to argue with the sound man. I do let them know prior to the show and try my best to convince them.

My direct out is being used for my loop effect (ISP decimator). So if I want to run stereo I need to go through the main outputs. When I run from the monitor out only I prefer the master left setting. I llke the feel of a mono sound better, but it does not sound as good as the master left. No reasoning, just my ears.

Hope this helps.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• My question would be, what kind of speaker cabinets you intend to drive with the matrix amp.

If the speakers are guitar speaker cabinets, which you want to drive in stereo, you cannot switch off the guitar speaker cabinet simulation selectively ("Monitor Cab. Off") as this works in mono only. You need to switch off the Cabinet Module globally on the front panel and lock it that way. The downside is, that you cannot use the Main Out signal to feed FOH anymore, but need to place microphones in front of the cabinets. In that case I would use the balanced XLR signal to feed the Matrix amp. If that signal should be too hot for the Matrix, there is a -12dB PAD option in the output Section.