Digitech Trio Plus with Kemper

• Thanks for the quick reply Ingolf. Yes I would only be using it for practising puposes too.

I am using the PowerHead but surely could just run the additional Outputs into the Trio+ and then into
    some seperate Speakers.

Guess there a lot of ways of hooking this unit up ...

Yes, I go Trio+ input >> Trio send >> KPA input >> KPA output (not the cab one obviously) >> Trio return >> into my powered FRFR.

• Hey, I just uploaded this - messing around with a Digitech Trio Plus through the Kemper.
    I've had it a couple of days, it's a great little tool for practising but having the added element of the bassline which can be quite active in a nice way.Not sure how suited to live performance it is, seems like the first go through teaching the Trio the changes could be dull, for on the fly stuff I feel the Boss RC300 is a bit more flexible...But the inbuilt drum loops are better in the Trio probably...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ordered over the weekend along with the footswitch. Plan on having the pedal itself on top of the Kemper (about chest height when I sit on my bed) and the footswitch on the ground with the Kemper remote.

• Guys, thanks for sharing!

One question: I understand Ingolf's chain, but how to wire when having an active Kemper in front of a passive FRFR box?

Many thanks, Lars

I guess, this is my problem too; I followed your chain, but get no tone out of my box. I have a KPA power head and a Mission Enginneering Gemini GM-1P as Speaker. What can I do? Thank your for your help.

• Hi Sophos,

I sold the Trio meanwhile, but it was connected like this – if I remember correctly: Guitar into Kemper, Kemper Direct Output/Send to TP FX Return In, TP FX Send into Kemper Return Input. This way you'll use the Kemper Effects Loop but you have to add a "LOOP MONO" into one of the effects slots (Lock it in its slot when it's working to avoid having to re-add this every time you chose a different rig). This is where the effects loop is inserted into the Kemper routing.

Best, Lars

• I've had a Trio and Trio+, and noticed some interesting behavior with its frequency response. It appears that Digitech included a high end rolloff (low pass filter) with the highs set at 4.2kHz as one might expect for a guitar speaker emulation. The low pass filter seems to be on the phones and mixer out; everything sent through those outputs has the rolloff. The amp out has a flat response to 20kHz or beyond. Low end is flat down to 10Hz in all cases I measured.

In case you connect the unit with the headphones or mixer out, and notice it sounds dull in the highs, that is the reason.

• Here is the config and settings I use:

Guitar to KPA INPUT

KPA DIRECT OUT to Trio+ Guitar In

KPA MONITOR OUT to Trio+ Fx Return

Trio+ headphone output to KPA RETURN INPUT and ALTERNATIVE INPUT

KPA MAIN OUTPUT to studio monitors

KPA HEADPHONE to headphones

When in 'Teaching Mode', the Trio+ uses just the dry guitar signal on its 'Guitar In' port. When recording Loops, the Trio+ uses the signal on the 'Fx Return' port.

KPA Output settings for Teaching / Looping:

DIRECT OUT: Git Analog (this is the unprocessed / dry guitar signal)

MONITOR OUT: Master Mono

KPA Output settings for Playback:

MONITOR OUT: Off (this prevents having your solo'ing guitar signal being fed back into the KPA from the Trio+)

The 'Guitar In' on the Trio+ is ignored during Playback when the 'Fx Return' port has a connector plugged into it so you don't need to turn off the DIRECT OUT on the KPA too.

Adjust the various volumes for these outputs so everything is happy. This includes adjusting the 'headphones' out volume on the Trio+.

So, the only thing I do when going from teaching and loop creation to playing along with the Trio+ is to turn the MONITOR OUT off on the KPA by rolling the knob. No external switches, juggling of cables or unwanted signal duplication.