Kemper Direct out question

• Just wondering if the direct out goes through any AD conversion? Or if it is just like the DI boxes you can buy.

It depends what the output is set to in the output menu.
    Git analog slaves the signal thru without AD conversion, Git processing does a conversion, as do all the other options.

• Ok so a quick question!

Rather than going out and buying DI boxes I'm wondering if I can do the following with the Kemper

Tracking
    Guitar into Kemper

Record a DI track via Kemper SPDIF

Send an analog DI signal to another device from the Kemper via direct out to record with

And for reamp
    Send DI track via spdif back to kemper
    Direct out to another device?

• Yes, this is possible

• Thanks!!

So in the case of the recording I would have
    Direct Output set as Git Analog which would go to another device
    SPDIF as Git Studio

Now the reamp part I'm confused....
    I'd send the SPDIF DI track back through the Kemper but how would I do the routing for the second device if I wanted to reamp that?

• What's this mystery second device, C'Man? An Axe?

Whatever it is, if you've only got one S/PDIF out, you might as well do as I'll be doing, and send the other copy of the signal from your DAW to an analogue out of your interface, and on to the "device". You may need to dial the signal being sent way back using the channel fader or aux send knob in your DAW, whichever you're using, in order to more-closely approximate a guitar-level signal, if you're going into, say, an amp or Axe / Helix's guitar input.

• Hi Monkey,

Yeah it is an Axe-Fx....there is one patch I just can't seem to profile 100% but I also was looking at possible reamping to floor pedals for bass etc.

So send the DI track out from the s/card to the axe or pedal etc?

I was hoping I could use the Kemper with the SPDIF like in my above post ....I didn't think the direct out signal would only be doing something if I was playing not if I was reamping a signal

• Yeah, only if you're playing, mate, AFAIK. I mean, that's the logical way it should work, for practical-recording reasons, and the Kemper's nothing if not logical. After all, if a signal's coming into the alt / re-amping input at the rear, it's not a direct-guitar feed, so a DI split of it makes no sense.

Yup, just send it out of one of the s'card's analogue outs, paying attention to the level, as-per my recommendation.

Maybe you could have a chat with @deadpan about Profiling that troublesome patch. IMHO, he's the man around here when it comes to nailing Profiles of that thing. He's spent a lot of time refining(!) his methods and workarounds to compensate for lack of bottom end and what have you. I'm sure he'd be only too happy to oblige, C'Man.

• I know this is an old thread but I just wondered, where should I have the setting for ‘direct out’ while running it into the input of an amplifier,when I am doing a direct profile… Or any profile?
    I think I remember someone saying that it doesn’t make any difference, because it knows that you are profiling… But I just wanted to make sure,

• The Source Setting of the Direct Out doesn't matter during profiling. While in Profiler Mode the Profiler takes over control and temporarily sets the Direct Out to what it needs to be for Profiling. That's why the Profiling Guide doesn't mention any particular setting.