Best way to cable for reamping?

• Hi all,

got my KPA and the first thing I did was to check if I could use it also for reamping in a proper way trying to keep the signal chain as clean as I can. The SPDIF works fine for ReAmping as long as you set it up as master (clock) in your sound card. but what if you've got more than one device connected digitally in your studio setup. well as there can only be one master it has to be the kpa but I am feeling somehow strange on this because many of us use dedicated clock generators (BigBen or whatever) with low jitter and things like that ... for me KPA should also be able to sync as slave in a big studio setup ... or one e.g. has to use the XLR'S for ReAming (or switching the clockSource for everything to kpa while reamping) ... annoying ...
    just my 2 cents ... anyway - KPA sounds great. not yet shure if I'll keep it.
    Tom

Especially when you aim for reamping you should keep the signal chain as clean as you possibly can. The best method for this is trying to avoid unnecessary AD, DA and impedance conversions, which automatically happens when using anlog ins or outs on the KPA.

• Hi guys!

I'm having some difficulties and perhaps doing something wrong but my knowledge about reamping is quite little. I tried using lexicon alpha studio to make simple reamping. Guitar -> KPA -> KPA directout -> Lexicon in -> usb from lexicon to computer. I got a dry track no problem but I can't reamp it. When I try to reamp it has a huge static or noise. Screaming (not sure what the correct term is) like a microphone squeels when too close to speakers. When I reamp the chain is usb from computer to lexicon -> lexicon line out -> KPA guitar input -> KPA master out -> lexicon input -> usb to comp.

What is going wrong and how to correct this?

Thanks in advance
    - J

• The most common issue in this case it a wrong output assignment.
    Make sure that the recorded dry track sends it's signal thru a specific audio output and that the recording track doesn't monitor from the same output.
    If you assign the monitoring of the recording track to the same output which feeds the KPA you get squeels since it loops.

I try to make you a graphical representation of the cabling when reamping:
    WRONG:
    Dry Track---------Audio output 1-------KPA in-------KPA OUT-------Audio In----Reamped track-----Audio output 1-2---Monitor out

|_________________LOOP_____________________________|

RIGHT:
    Dry Track-----Audio output 5-----KPA in----KPA OUT----Audio In---->Reamped track-----Audio output 1-2-----Monitor out

I hope it helps.

• this would only work with spidif connection if using an xlr or 1/4 out connection from the recording interface one would need a reamp box to match guitar impedance otherwise it will sound strange and not as intended

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• I'm a total novice to this concept, although I understand it conceptually.

Question: I just bought a Zoom R8 for home recording. From the last post it seems that I can't use the Line Out of my Zoom to feed the Kemper's instrument input. Hence, can I use the USB Out through a USB:S/PDIF converter to go into the KPA's S/PDIF In? Or would I be better off getting an attenuator (or whatever it is called) to change Line Level out from Zoom to instrument level input of KPA?

I'm not doing any serious recording here...just thought it would be fun to re-amp.

thx!

• Hey Stompman,

doesn't the Zoom have a setting for using it in front of an amp like a multiFX unit? If so, the output level would be changed as well.

Anyway, in the wiKPA you'll find several examples of how to connect together the KPA and other units.

• Thx for the reply Viabroce. I'll look into feeding the Zoom into an amp when the unit arrives in a few days. I'll also revisit the wiKPA. It's been a while since I purused that wealth of knowledge!

• Fell free to let us know what you'll come across! Every bit of information other users might benefit from is welcome :)

Absolutely! I realized you can't just send the output back to the Kemper and monitor the re-amped on the Zoom because you would have a feedback loop. Not sure if there is some way to toggle off monitoring/recording of the inputs while playing back via the outputs.

However, all is not lost. I came across an article that talks about using the Zoom R8 and R24 for re-amping using the Phones out. Quite a clever solution.

The R8 and R24 allow you to assign the metronome to ONLY headphones and fade out the other track sounds so you only hear the metronome through the headphones. The unique feature on the R8 and R24 is that you can assign 1 or 2 tracks (if stereo) to be the metronome track in which case it plays the tracks just like a normal track but ONLY plays them through headphones given the above tweak I mentioned. You can also use this to isolate a vocal track through headphones etc.

So you basically assign a dry guitar track to be the metronome and output that via phone out to the amp input (you can also send this to an offboard effects processor to mimic an effects loop - The Zoom R series doesn't have an effects loop :( ). By adjusting the phone output volume you can set it so you don't get clipping on the amp (AKA KPA). Then you take the output of the KPA to the stereo inputs and there is your re-amped sound for recording and monitoring via the Zoom line output.

In my case, I can only monitor through headphones so I'll have to monitor on the KPA. I'm still curious as to whether the re-amped sound will be as good quality as the original sound (e.g., is there a mismatch taking a headphone output into an instrument input). I'll re-post once I have a chance to try it. The Zoom should be delivered this weekend. :thumbup:

Here is a link if anybody else has a Zoom R8/R24. The R16 doesn't support the assignment of tracks to the metronome unfortunately.

http://www.henkybacker.com/201…t-of-the-zoom-r8-and-r24/

• Hello guys i see some of you have nice experience with the Kemper then i ask you here

i would like to reamp simply not to have to change anything in the settings clock or cables

i have amny in and out in any format avaialble on my souncard ( rme rayd dat with many adat converter from different brands )

anyway now with the kemper it is the mess, you need to swtich to slave the computer and put the project into 44.1khs and it is not convenient for my use

i would like to know a sample rate converter could help

iwanted to try with http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/SRC2496.aspx because it is cheap abnd before inversting in better one i wanted to give a try

you think that could work to convert my 48Khz signal to 44.1 to go in the kemper and then another one to go from kemper to sound card?

i would like to use spdif because i have 2 available

some have tried this system?

any better or more clever solution?

for now i do in audio because changing the clock is very anoying

best regards guys , you rock !!

• Hey Pstcho,

I believe your solution is the best. Changing the sample rate between two not proportional values may introduce artefacts which would probably make the final result inferior to the analog choice.

• probably but have a problem while using the analog way.

first of all many times i reamp between 2 sessions then with analog solution you have set up everything, be sure not to clip and things like that
    also some time i get a buzz wiith my reamp box ( Radial JRC ) and the kemper only ( not with the heads i have )

with the spdif it is much more easy ( but so annoying to change the clock )

i really dont know how to be able to use this damn kemper for reamping !

• I just bought a Zoom R8 for home recording.

Hey stompman,

I was thinking about buying a Zoom R8, but I'm not sure about its audio quality. I have a Zoom H4n and its input has quite a lot of noise. Don't want to run into the same problem with another Zoom device. What's your experience with the Zoom R8? Also I've read that there's no drivers for Windows 8 which would make it unusable for my specific purpose as well.

Any help and input appreciated. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

• I know this thread is getting old, but if you use s/pdif you must record in 44.1? If you use analog to reamp this is not needed? Also, if you reamp using s/pdif you must set your audio interface or the kemper as the clock? The clock is set in your recording software? right now i believe my clock source is my audio interface( i honestly do not know).

• So why wouldn't you set the master clock as the audio interface? I also have a midi drum device that I use with steven slate drums. How does that play into the master clock? If I just record in 44.1 do I need to even worry about the master clock?

Edited once, last by jeddie ().