Can we come to a conclusion on the ballsiest JCM800 (sounding) profile?

• Whats the absolute ballsiest JCM800 (sounding) profile you have come across on your tone journey?

I'm talking saturated power section, wall shaking mayhem without the fizz. That mythical dream tone.

So far I have been slightly underwhelmed by the ones I have tried. They are either way too fizzy and thin sounding, or profiled too clean (quietly, like low volume/ no power tube saturation)

Looking forward to opinions! :thumbup:

• These are the settings I used. Ran it DI with no cab on.You will need to lower the volume if you use the cab.

MARSHALL JCM800 HG-R Volume 5.70

Style Jupiter Type DI Profile (Blend)
    Channel Lead Studio Equalizer B
    Bass Middle Treble Presence
    0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
    Gain 7.60 Volume 0.00
    Definition 10.00 Clarity 2.70
    Power Sag 5.00 Tube Shape 3.30
    Pick 0.00 Tube Bias 0.00
    Compressor 3.90 Direct Mix 0.00

Studio Equalizer (B)

Low Shelf High Shelf Low Mid High Mid
    1.3 at 200.8Hz 2.7 at 10006.9Hz 1.4 at 501.9Hz 4.0 at 3012.2Hz
    Low Cut High Cut Q at 0.707 Q at 0.707
    20.6Hz 33488.1Hz Volume 0.00
    Mix 100% Ducking 0.00

Rhythm Reverb

Time/Damping Balance Pre-Delay Bandwidth
    1.2/2.5 85% 45ms 5.20
    Frequency Ducking Volume Mix
    0.70 0.00 0.00 13%

I do have a loop in the X slot going to my ISP Decimator Pro Rack G. You can simply use the KPA noise gate in whichever slot you like.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• For modern high gain tones (not vintage plexi), I second the @steveness JCM800 profile. The best Marshall high gain I've heard profiled yet.

• Edit** can you specify what you mean when you say DI with cab off? There is no cab sim going on here at all? I ask because your soundcloud clips all specify different cab configurations.

Dude! I was just coming back to ask you what your EQ was set up like. Thanks so much!

I think the EQ is going to be huge for me. This is my first experience messing with it and it adds so much to the sound vs the EQ in the stack section. Hadn't even thought of messing with it yet. Then I remembered running an EQ in the effects loop of my old Jcm900 III. Duh... :S

• I just recorded the KPA through the main outs 1/4 into a MOTU Audio Express. I used the profile with the cab section off. The used Kazrog Recabinet in my DAW. Just so I could easily switch cabs and find the one I liked most. I really like the Celestion V30 in 2X12.

Normally I never have the cab on in a live situation. I use a Mesa Boogie 4X12 and 2X12 powered by a Matix power amp. Most of the venues I play would rather mic my cabs. Some do like it direct to the FOH, in that case I turn the cab section on and use the monitor out of the KPA with Monitor cab off.

Hope this helps.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• I just recorded the KPA through the main outs 1/4 into a MOTU Audio Express. I used the profile with the cab section off. The used Kazrog Recabinet in my DAW. Just so I could easily switch cabs and find the one I liked most. I really like the Celestion V30 in 2X12.

Normally I never have the cab on in a live situation. I use a Mesa Boogie 4X12 and 2X12 powered by a Matix power amp. Most of the venues I play would rather mic my cabs. Some do like it direct to the FOH, in that case I turn the cab section on and use the monitor out of the KPA with Monitor cab off.

Hope this helps.

Clarified. Thanks. Some venues here are the same way, which makes me weary of trying a frfr. I can't imagine they sound that great micd. Although the passive mission cab has both drivers in line so you can mic them similar to a traditional cab.

• Clarified. Thanks. Some venues here are the same way, which makes me weary of trying a frfr. I can't imagine they sound that great micd. Although the passive mission cab has both drivers in line so you can mic them similar to a traditional cab.

Correct, since the Gemini is a coaxial design (tweeter in the middle of the whoofer) you get even dispersion so it can be mic'ed similar to a guitar cab. Bear in mind it isn't a cab, so won't mic the same exact way. My band mic's all our instruments and run it through the mixer so we all listen through headphones. My mic'ed Gemini sounds great this way and I have had no problems with the tone I hear.