Matrix FRFR users?

• Hello all,

Having tried and ditched the Yamaha DXR-10 (partly due to not being blown away by the sound, secondly by just not liking having a monitor when I want a cab), I'm interested in this:

http://uk.matrixamplification.com/speakers/fr12p.html

Has anybody any experience? I'm unconvinced by mentions of tone wood (as it surely contradicts the FRFR principle) but do like the look of it - and it's priced well. I also like the idea of getting one that isn't powered, as I have the PowerHead, so otherwise feel I am paying for the active element when it's not needed.

Any thoughts welcome!

• While not the single speaker option, I had a FR212 that I used with the Kemper and it was amazing. It pushed air amazingly and felt like I had a 2x12 behind me.

When I can be bothered to join a band again I'll be buying another one.

I tried the Q12, the CLR, cabs etc but for me, the FR212 was by far the best option. I'd definitely be interested in the FR12 if it follows the same philosophy.

Hope this helps.

• People do hype the CLR but I didn't like it. It felt sterile to me. Plus, I had to threaten the company with the police after they ignored me for days after I returned it and just wouldn't reply and give me my refund. I will never buy a product from Atomic ever again.

The FR212 is what I'd get. It definitely feels like a cab. You get that oomph behind you, and it has the clarity you want from FRFR. Also, they do a Kemper version (which was in part because I contacted them and wanted one that had the correct OHMs)

I'd take a punt on the FR12 if the 2x12 is too big. Otherwise I'd definitely go for the 212.

• Nice! Let me know how it is!

Matrix are great for customer service too. They really go the extra mile. And I believe you can get a refund from them so the return postage should be worth a try at least.

• I JUST made the switch to an FR212 from a Celestian Vintage 30 (Cab sim off of course) packed Guitar Cab last week and it was a remarkable change. The clarity and Cut is so much more defined now while still pushing plenty of air so I can feel it behind me. My fist band rehearsal is tomorrow. Can't wait to hear it within a band context!

• I JUST made the switch to an FR212 from a Celestian Vintage 30 (Cab sim off of course) packed Guitar Cab last week and it was a remarkable change. The clarity and Cut is so much more defined now while still pushing plenty of air so I can feel it behind me. My fist band rehearsal is tomorrow. Can't wait to hear it within a band context!

Nice! It's so much better than a normal speaker isn't it. If you want to be able to use all the cabinet sounds and have the feeling of a cab and don't mind the size it's the best option.

Did you get the Kemper specific one?

Great to hear. I'm about 3 weeks out on a Xitone FR212 to replace a Marshall 412 with Jimi Greenbacks.

• You sure it's not just you getting used to FRFR? Have you spent much time in a studio with guitars coming through monitors, listening through FRFR speakers?

I noticed a similar thing too when I first got it, but recorded tones do leave more of a trail of the kind you mention, and on FRFR it's definitely more obvious. I had the same issue but it's quite normal and you will get used to it. The frequencies you're used to with monitors or a traditional cabinet are much clearer and pronounced now.

Can you record it and upload it?

• I've seen very little to suggest they're anything other than very good. I've not seen a single bad review.

Happy to be corrected, although first impressions (aside from the damaged speaker) seemed promising.