Studio Monitors

• I know this question has been beaten to death but my situation may be a bit different. I am looking to buy studio monitors for my kemper. I will not be mixing or recording and my hope is to plug directly into the monitors. My desk space is limited The monitors would sit on a desk approximately IS 7.5 feet long by two feet and is built into the wall. I would play most often sitting within 2-3 feet of the monitors. Behind me the rest of the room is huge. From my back to the rear wall is 18 feet and the width of the room is 36 feet. I can't do any room dampening. Do five inch monitors make the most sense? Should I just buy nice headphones? I don't have a really discerning ear and play only as a hobby. My budget is around $600 US. Thanks in advance.

• I know this question has been beaten to death but my situation may be a bit different. I am looking to buy studio monitors for my kemper. I will not be mixing or recording and my hope is to plug directly into the monitors. My desk space is limited The monitors would sit on a desk approximately IS 7.5 feet long by two feet and is built into the wall. I would play most often sitting within 2-3 feet of the monitors. Behind me the rest of the room is huge. From my back to the rear wall is 18 feet and the width of the room is 36 feet. I can't do any room dampening. Do five inch monitors make the most sense? Should I just buy nice headphones? I don't have a really discerning ear and play only as a hobby. My budget is around $600 US. Thanks in advance.

Go with monitors, much nicer than listening through headphones. Get the best pair within your budget, as flat as possible.

For this purpose, I'd suggest going to a store with your Kemper and audition a few pairs. If this is not possible, just play music through them and see what you think.

I think at that price point, you can't go wrong with the Yamaha HS series of monitors.

Yamaha HS7's work great for me - best monitors I've ever had. I've had the M-Audio MX8s and JBLs prior. You could get better ones like Adam Audio or whatever but not near that price point - plus the returns are diminished severely for the price difference.

I was wondering lately if the iLoud speakers/monitors were any good.

You could get an Atomic CLR - but that'll cost you around 1k.

• I have had the HS-5s for years and they work great. I added the HS8S a few years ago and they are even better. They have XLR INs you can connect directly from KPA mains out.

Learn to Swim