almost a new Kemper owner

• Hello all,

A soon to be Kemper owner here. I purchased the rack the other day & it's still in transit, never used one before.
    In the meantime I've been checking manuals, videos, support files (even purchased a few profiles already.)

I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of or any tips you might have before diving in. ( like checking is to make sure I have the latest OS installed when it arrives.)
    Any preferred ways of doing basic things like updates, backups, powering up/down, maintenance etc... more importantly what NOT to do?

Nice forum here btw, I've picked up a lot of useful info already.
    Quite impressed with the many talented artists & players I've heard here too!

-c

• Hello, Ceemusic.

You put a big smile on my face with your highlighted quote. You are doing all the right things, in preparation for getting your new KPA. :thumbup:

Congratulations, and welcome to the community.

Cheers,
    John

• You probably won't have the latest OS when it arrives, so yeah, download the update from the Kemper site or use Rig Manager to update it.

Welcome!

You may have to update the OS manually the first time - but otherwise, as MM said :)

I think just spend a couple of days getting to know the unit, have fun and play around! :)

And try the free rig packs in the Rig Manager, get to know what tones you like. And get accustomed to the sound of a mic'ed up amp versus a "regular" amp setup, if you're not used to that already :)

• Thanks for the welcome & suggestions guys.

It's due to arrive today anytime now. Looking forward to getting started with this gear. From all that I've watched & heard this looks perfect for what I've been looking for. Time for me to get back into playing & I'm sure this will hit the spot!

Most likely I'll be back soon with questions, problems. Going to start using spdif for the first time. I've found several posts about it, hopefully I won't have too much trouble getting it hooked up then start tracking.

see you around- cheers
    -c

• I'm using an 80's Mesa/Boogie Mark IIB / various Gibson, Fender, Epi, Taylor, Dean, Jackson gtrs.

I spent last evening setting up the KPA. First chord strummed out of the box sounded great!
    I upgraded the OS, added new profiles & got spdif routed. Today I'll be working on reampming. Still finding my way around the features & parameters,
    I should have things pretty much under control.in a few more days.

I'm loving the sounds coming from this thing. So far, so good!
    -c

• Don't add too many profiles! .

The unit I purchased was used, and came with hundreds of profiles the previous owner had either made for himself or purchased. Then I got WAY too excited and added more from both the Rig Exchange and the pros, not stopping to consider how many came with each and how many I was accumulating. Almost before I knew what had happened, I had 726 profiles, which is ludicrous. Since then I have pared back massively. At least for me, there are maybe a dozen amps I really want access to, plus some cool things like Top Jimi's Brown sound pack. By the time I have picked my favorites, I hope to be down to fewer than 50, certainly no more than 100. Given the ability to add effects, tweak EQ settings, and all the rest, that will be more than enough for me (WAY more than enough, frankly).

Go slow, and learn to use the Rig Manager. The world of rigs is easy to get lost in.....

• Welcome.

What you can do before you get the Kemper?
    Playback profile demo clips form different sellers (not only mine) and check if you like the sound.
    If yes, great - you are prepared.
    If not, check out your FRFR system you like to use later with your Kemper.

And yes, do not but to much - the Kemper comes preloaded with many profiles to explore first.

Anyway - Enjoy!

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• First chord strummed out of the box sounded great!

Same here, and for many others this has been true too! Awesome, man.

Don't add too many profiles! .

The unit I purchased was used, and came with hundreds of profiles the previous owner had either made for himself or purchased. Then I got WAY too excited and added more from both the Rig Exchange and the pros, not stopping to consider how many came with each and how many I was accumulating. Almost before I knew what had happened, I had 726 profiles, which is ludicrous. Since then I have pared back massively. At least for me, there are maybe a dozen amps I really want access to, plus some cool things like Top Jimi's Brown sound pack. By the time I have picked my favorites, I hope to be down to fewer than 50, certainly no more than 100. Given the ability to add effects, tweak EQ settings, and all the rest, that will be more than enough for me (WAY more than enough, frankly).

Go slow, and learn to use the Rig Manager. The world of rigs is easy to get lost in.....

Sage advice IMHO, Strider.