TMS Profiles

• Hi everyone,

Although I'm new to Kemper, I have a lot of experience in cab impulsing etc.
    You may know me from the TMS impulses in TSE X50 or the Joey Sturgis Tones "Conquer All" impulse packs.
    I have 20 years experience as a professional audio engineer in a busy commercial studio with great equipment.
    Apogee converters and mic pres by Neve, API, Universal Audio etc
    Focal Twin and Klein and Hummel monitors let me hear every detail in profiled sounds to make sure they work well anywhere.

TMS Profiles new JCM800 4103 pack now on sale for just €6.

That's the price of a pack of strings for one of the best amps ever made !!

https://tmsprofiles.bigcartel.…oduct/tms-jcm8-2203-combo

• Another awesome free pack for you guys.
    I'm currently profiling Marshall Silver Jubilee and JCM800 through all my cabs. I love my Marshall SL5 Slash signature amp through the Bogner cab so decided to profile it at all different gain stages.
    Captured through combination of 3 mics (SM57, MD421, M201) into neve and API preamps for 11 profiles. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Killer little amp. Please post opinions in the comments below. If anyone wants to do a good video demo I'd really appreciate it too =]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/85y2…files_SL5_Bogner.zip?dl=0

• This set of JCM800 into Marshall 30th Anniversary 4x12 cab profiles will be part of a big pack with a selection of cabs later.
    Free for a limited time so get it quick.
    13 profiles from clean (ha ha, only joking)...crunch to heavy saturation and also boosted with Tube Screamer and MXR Custom Badass OD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qukn…MS_JCM800_6960av.zip?dl=0

Please report back with opinions.
    Clips or video would be awesome.

• Thank you for sharing pictures of the mic setups. I always enjoy seeing and learning how people are miking speakers. I have listened to your JST impulses on his website and some of them sound really good! Are you using the same miking techniques for the Kemper? Is there a learning curve that you had to make adjustments for profiling vs creating IRs for JST?

• Thanks.
    The main thing I have learned is getting the gain staging (volume) right into the Kemper.
    A couple of early profiles I made where a bit harsh sounding so I really investigated why.
    The Kemper works best with plenty of headroom.
    As for mic positions, very similar to positions I always use.
    With the IR packs I made impulses for each mic, making sure they are all in phase (even between the different packs),
    but with the Kemper only one cab can be loaded at a time so I'm critically listening and finding the best combination and levels for mics before I profile.
    I'm using outboard mic pres and Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt into logic pro and putting each mic channel to input monitoring and sending them to a bus back to the Kemper so I can easily adjust the balance of the mics before I run the profile.
    The JST "Conquer All" packs all have Kemper format impulses too =]
    As you have probably noticed, I love talking about this stuff so fire away if you would like more info.
    Michael

• The JST "Conquer All" packs all have Kemper format impulses too =]
    As you have probably noticed, I love talking about this stuff so fire away if you would like more info.
    Michael

Have you matched them to see if there was a difference? The converted IR to Kemper cab? I have tried many different ways and they never match up properly (my own converted IRs). Any tips would be awesome! I do like your IRs and prob will pick them up. So if you haven't tested them, I will soon.

• Since everybody loved the JCM800 I shared, here is Marshall Silver Jubilee through the same 30th Anniversary Marshall cab.
    11 profiles covering the range of gain this lovely amp has to offer.
    This will be part of a larger pack with a load of different cabs.
    Free for a limited time so don't miss it.
    Updated with Louder master volume and better mic placement and amp EQ.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vu0…s_MarshSJ_6960av.zip?dl=0

Please comment with opinions and clips or video demos highly appreciated.

• thank you very much for all your effort and profiles.. at the bedroom level (and with my equipment) many of them sound excellent.. very tasty and creamy.. during the weekend I will try them playing loud.. very curious how they will "appear".. at the moment the most I like (maybe strangely) those Rockerverb through Bogner cabinet.. :thumbup:;)

• I have to say this man here knows how to start a reliable business!
    THIS is how you earn a good reputation from the beginning and convince future buyers: Throw delicious appetizers to the hungry profile addicts here :P (=licking every profile crumb from the table), provide honest information and sharing the love for in-depth gear talk with the people on this forum, show pictures from the gear used, ...

TMS Profiles folder now is filled with 94 FREE rigs! :thumbup:
    And if the pricing is reasonable I totally will buy coming packs, because I want to support and want to know what he can gives us more...

Thanks and respect... because of this man even I will follow the example of @ashtweth and have a beer this evening ... and one bonus beer if the pricing will be cool :D

• I have to say this man here knows how to start a reliable business!
    THIS is how you earn a good reputation from the beginning and convince future buyers: Throw delicious appetizers to the hungry profile addicts here :P (=licking every profile crumb from the table), provide honest information and sharing the love for in-depth gear talk with the people on this forum, show pictures from the gear used, ...

TMS Profiles folder now is filled with 94 FREE rigs! :thumbup:
    And if the pricing is reasonable I totally will buy coming packs, because I want to support and want to know what he can gives us more...

Thanks and respect... because of this man even I will follow the example of @ashtweth and have a beer this evening ... and one bonus beer if the pricing will be cool :D

Get 'em while you can because maybe he'll wise up and sell only a direct profile for $40 a pop :P . If we're lucky he'll also sell a single IR for $55 that you can pair with the amp. That's an amp and a cab for under $100! What value!

Anyway, enough of the sarcasm. Michael is very active in the Kemper Facebook group and responds politely and intelligently to all comments and questions. Since he's starting to get his feet wet profiling (and is a studio guy) he appears to be after honest feedback in order to create good profiles that we will enjoy. So far I've tried everything he's profiled and kept a few. At this point I'm getting very discriminating with the profiles I keep (currently have 135 profiles out of 1,400+ that I've auditioned), so that's saying something.

Keep up the good work, Michael. :thumbup:

• Would you mind explaining the gain staging issue a bit further? How loud did you usually have to set the amps for it to be optimal? I'm guessing just enough until they open up, but not too loud so that power amp distortion kicks in? Also, did you notice there being a problem once it got so loud that the speakers started to really move?

• Thanks for the kind comments guys.
    I working my ass off to get the best profiles possible and the feedback from everyone is extremely helpful.
    My packs won't be expensive but will be very good.
    I'm avoiding scratchy high mids and boominess which seems to plague a lot of profiles, especially the default ones.
    Based on feedback received and trying them in some mixes, I have actually scrapped the 800 and Jubilee profiles I shared and am starting from scratch, actually doing them at the moment.
    I will post an updated version with the 30th Anniversary cab when they are done.
    I have a large collection of heads and cabs to get done in the coming weeks, finding time between studio sessions.
    It's hard work. I took the afternoon off yesterday and brought my daughter for pizza because she kept asking me am I working again.
    Updates for the 2 Marshalls should be up Tuesday and they are much better. Fatter and less piercing high mid.
    Michael

• Would you mind explaining the gain staging issue a bit further? How loud did you usually have to set the amps for it to be optimal? I'm guessing just enough until they open up, but not too loud so that power amp distortion kicks in? Also, did you notice there being a problem once it got so loud that the speakers started to really move?

By gain staging I mean the level returning to the Kemper.
    I always run an amps volume at its sweet spot which can sometimes be very loud (JCM800).
    Luckily, as a commercial studio, I can run as loud as I want =]
    I have found that it's better to return the signal to the kemper lower and let it sort out the level itself rather than return a hot level, which sounds choked.
    I'm running Neve and API mic pres so I can set any return level I want.

• Based on feedback received and trying them in some mixes, I have actually scrapped the 800 and Jubilee profiles I shared and am starting from scratch, actually doing them at the moment.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I don't think I saved any of those. Plagued by the issues that so often plague high gain profiles on the Kemper and other digital devices; sharp, static-y palm mutes that expose its digital imprint. The fact that you recognized that to try again is a true testament to the fact that I think you'll end up with some great profiles and refined profiling techniques. Some commercial sellers still provide profiles crawling with those issues that I personally just can't get past. Good on ya, Michael.

• I wasn't planning to profile my 6505 yet but I got a request =]
    TS808 to 6505 to Rectifier cab.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x4s…4-13%2023-52-13.kipr?dl=0
    Quick demo in a mix:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.