TMS Profiles

• Quick jam with this profile. I turned the gain up to 7.8 and made some adjustments to my guitar (pickup height / pole height)
    Only post EQ is LP at 12k and Valhalla reverb

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sounds badass! :thumbup:

• I'm trying for a more organic mix with a different kick and snare. Everything still sounds dull to my damaged ears though.

@mickrich s profiles have that Carcass vibe to them that I love. Modern yet still old school.

I have two Carcass albums, and I'm always scandalised how poorly they are mastered. The volume is less than 60% what I hear on some of my other CDs. It's a crying shame. The tone is really good though.

• I have two Carcass albums, and I'm always scandalised how poorly they are mastered. The volume is less than 60% what I hear on some of my other CDs. It's a crying shame. The tone is really good though.

It's not poorly mastered man. That's how the tone is without EQ boosts all over the place. Which gives a lower volume. My clip is much quieter than lots of other metal clips on soundcloud. But the question is what sounds better to you? The majority of metal on sound cloud actually hurts my hearing and is not enjoyable. The mixes are louder and louder. Tones are getting worse and worse.

• I saw Carcass live with Fear factory in Brisbane (back when the dead sea was alive :D )
    i was so sodomized by their LIVE TONE i still cant take a crap with out funny noises X/
    Check out their LIVE tone man..
    Brootal..Mick is catching up ;)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• The majority of metal on sound cloud actually hurts my hearing and is not enjoyable. The mixes are louder and louder. Tones are getting worse and worse.

Indeed. I agree, Ant.

It used to be only the Loudness War™ and its effect on commercially-released material that hurt my ears. Now it's every band and its dog's demo due, IMHO, to the proliferation of affordable mastering plug-ins and the belief these folks have that slamming everything to the wall makes their products sound better.

Those of us who're sensitive to harsh tones in general would disagree, I'm sure. You're not alone, brother.

• loud is bad, to both you guys motor head would be the devil , well with ear plugs a bearable devil :D
    Hanging out for Mick's packs :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• It's not poorly mastered man. That's how the tone is without EQ boosts all over the place. Which gives a lower volume. My clip is much quieter than lots of other metal clips on soundcloud. But the question is what sounds better to you? The majority of metal on sound cloud actually hurts my hearing and is not enjoyable. The mixes are louder and louder. Tones are getting worse and worse.

I agree, I remember hearing Metallica's Death Magnetic and I was horrified how the whole thing was brickwalled.

But man, those Carcass albums are too quiet. I mean, really, really quiet. If I listen to some of my other albums before listening to those albums, it is a stark difference.

That's why I usually play Carcass first, hah! :)

• I'm recording a band all day today so I'll reply properly later.
    With regards to hot mastering, it is something a commercial studio like mine has to keep up with.
    The trick is "appearing" loud without killing the mix.
    Here are the notes for a class I teach on psychoacoustics in a mix.
    It covers a lot of things about how we hear sound and how to manipulate a mix to make it seem louder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpt…stics%20in%20mix.pdf?dl=0

• Brilliant stuff, Michael. Thanks a lot for that very informative lesson. Going to keep a copy to reference on my next mixing session.

• Mick is right man, Funny enough in audio engineering school they taught us to make it loud via the mixing desk not via volume etc.
    i missed class as moi was drinking beer and chasing pussy , what? :D

Ash

• Reading this now and its filled with information! Thank you so much for sharing. I will go over this and remix the above snippet following your lesson. Lets see if I understand what you're teaching.

• Quick jam with this profile. I turned the gain up to 7.8 and made some adjustments to my guitar (pickup height / pole height)
    Only post EQ is LP at 12k and Valhalla reverb

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Out of curiosity, what is the the point of low passing that high? Is there something to be cut? I may be deaf, but to me, the fizzyness starts to fade somewhere around 8k.

• Yes, I forgot to say that I don't consider that clip fizzy. I think auditory masking takes care of the high frequencies in a mix.

When playing live, I put LP at 5-7k and on lead sounds sometimes as low as 4k...

• Some samples of the EVH Recto before Mick decided to redo it, or at least some of it. Profiles recorded direct with no added effects or EQ's, and no post editing of any sort (other than shitty mp3 conversion). Using an EBMM Axis Super Sport, so there is high output humbucker and single coil clips. Apologies again for my playing.

• Come to think of it I should have used the neck pickup to soften the clean tone. #metalplayersneverthinktonotplaythebridgepickupallthetime

Thanks Nicky, but compliments are always wasted in my direction. ;)