Audio interface that doesn't compromise tone / volume

• It seems like my Kemper sounds incredible hooked up directly to my monitors but when I put an interface in the mix it always suffers. I don't really record much but I'd like to mix with usb from my iMac to play along with songs and such.

I most recently got a M-Audio M Track - it's weird though - I have to have the monitor volume almost all the way up and all the way on direct for it to sound even close to normal direct hookup - and there I can't hear my computer mix at all. If I put that usb/direct knob about half way, my Kemper is way to quiet and I can't increase the volume without clipping. With the knob all the way on USB the music alone sounds incredible. It's almost like it can't output the same volume level from it's inputs as you can over usb only or something.

Anywho, I've had a similar experience with other interfaces. Is there a mixer or interface you guys really like for something like what I'm doing that won't break the bank? I've searched and searched online but I can't seem to find a good solution.

• I'd try hooking up the KPA via SPDIF if you can to avoid the triple "DA-AD-DA"conversion in your signal chain.

Some people report that the Kemper's DA conversion at the outputs seems to add some fatness to the sound, so compare with your own ears what you like better.

However don't use the mic preamps of your interface, use TRS 1/4" line level inputs instead, since they have less sound coloring components before the AD converters.

Depending on the exact m-audio interface you're using now you should consider a better interface aswell, the Input circuits and converters on some m-audios sound quite tinny IMHO.
    The Audient ID series seems to be pretty decent in comparable price ranges.

• Maybe it's me doing something wrong I don't know. I usually have my monitors at unity (Yamaha HS7's currently). Most of the usb interfaces I've tried are usb powered - could that be the problem?

I'm not sure what it is but it always seems like direct to the monitors I have plenty of volume, and through an interface I'm always starved for it.

I could turn my monitors up - which I have before, but all the way up they hiss a little and I don't like that.

It's not the kemper either, I've experienced this same thing with other units.

Maybe I should just get another set of speakers for my background music for the computer to output through separately.

• I have a motu 16a myself.
    I've got my kemper setup to output to a behringer ada8000 which then connects via toslink to my motu.
    Actually having issues at this very moment with this setup. I think either one of my toslink cables is damaged or my ada8000 is acting a bit weird. I get the occasional digital noise on the gtr stack and di tracks coming from the kemper.

• I have a motu 16a myself.
    I've got my kemper setup to output to a behringer ada8000 which then connects via toslink to my motu.
    Actually having issues at this very moment with this setup. I think either one of my toslink cables is damaged or my ada8000 is acting a bit weird. I get the occasional digital noise on the gtr stack and di tracks coming from the kemper.

The 16A sounds absolutely-awesome, Terry. You must be stoked with the convertors on that thing, mate. Hope you get the cable / BarfRinger thing sorted out.

I'll be using a 16A as my primary I/O, and I'll only be using the analogue ins and outs. That'll be for vocals, bass, guitar and main computer outs to monitors.

For my synths, I'll be needing a crapload of inputs 'cause I like to use their multi outs so I can tweak / rearrange / re-programme parts right up 'til mix down, at which point I'll be able to render them all as audio in a single pass. 2 x 24Ai units will handle that. They're a few dB shy of the dynamic range offered by the 16A, but the sound is essentially the same in all respects; the convertors are "one model down" from those in the 16A (same make).

• It is a nice piece of kit, i use the analog in/outs for mic inputs and sends.
    The ada8000 allows me 8 more in and out, so i use the 8 out as headphone sends and the inputs as my kemper returns.
    If I need even more input/output, I can add another ada8200

• Indeed Terry, so it's 16 analogue I/O, but 32 including if you use the optical ports as ADAT ones (selectable as S/PDIF or ADAT, IIRC).

I usually forget about the digital I/O when I think of these units 'cause I'll only be using the analogue connectivity.

Thank you for elucidating, mate.