Yamaha DXR 10 Gig Volume Capability and Other Options

• I have an un-powered toaster Kemper. I'm playing in a Classic Rock Trio. Rock, not Metal. We sing a lot and use dynamics, the old "light and shade". Most of our gigs are small clubs/Tiki Bars, I'm in Florida. However there are times I'm outside where the acoustics get lost. I'm currently using a Mackie Thump 112 powered monitor. It sounds OK but I'm thinking of upgrading to either the Yamaha DXR 10 or 12. My concern is the DXR 10 won't cut playing outside, we don't mic our amps, just vocals. I'm also concerned the DXR 12 is boomy as my Thump has that flaw. Would I be better off with a pair of DXR 10s? I'm also considering the DSR 12 but the DXR series seems to get better reviews for their "warmth". A pair of DXR 10s would be just a bit more than a DSR 12. I've considered the Mission Engineering Geminis but again the 1 x 12 might not be loud enough and both Geminis reportedly have a loud "pop" when first turned on which....troubles me. :) Any thoughts on any of these options would be appreciated.

• What Ingolf said.

I gig with with a DXR10 , both with FOH and without.
    Haven't done a LARGE room or outside without FOH, but at that point, the stage volume would be way too loud for me if I had to crank the DXR up to that level.

I used to gig with a a powered Atomic CLR, but sold it after getting the DXR. You should listen/watch Ingolf's reviews, very useful and as he suggested, see if you can try one.

• I have been playing with a single DXR10 quite a few times in various locations, also outside without FOH.
    The other option I have been using is a Mesa Mark IV combo and at places, where the combo was good/loud enough, the DXR10 is also suitable.

• Greetings! The DXR10 can be very loud. I've never been able to push mine at the small venues I typically play. Perhaps you should keep your Mackie as backup, and could then use both if necessary.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Our entire band is Kemper's and MBritt profiles with dxr10s, yes even our bass player. Large outdoor stages mainly but we do a few indoor medium stages. Classic rock and new Country and no complaints here. 4 years and counting!

• IMHO you should never play outdoors without putting the guitar through the PA. You want to spread the sound around. Outdoors is normally going to be a much bigger space that you are trying to get your sound out to.

Within any club that isn't stadium sized, a DXR10/12 should be more than loud enough to keep up with the band. Again, wide stages and wide venues are a big issue for a single point source of sound. You are better off sending the guitar through the PA in these venues.

The DSR112 does not have as much bottom end as the DXR12; however, it will go considerably louder (I use these for my tops for FOH duty).

• I own a Gemini and don't experience a pop. It's also more than loud enough and I stand right next to the drummer at rehearsal.

I've not owned a DXR10 so it would be irresponsible for me to claim anything bold, but the Gemini has a very cab-like feel. It's also a coaxial design so the dispersion is more even whereas a PA speaker has the separation between the tweeter and whoofer. The Gemini's also look like a cab for those who have a vanity about such things. The benefits of the DXR10 is easily its weight, size, and portability. The Gemini's are 50-60 pounds depending on which you get.

• i use a DXR8 and its more than enaugh for me at rehersals and gigs. We use in ear so dont need to struggle with loud monitors! I am the only electric in my band, but I have also played in many ocations together with guitarists who use tebeamps.. no problem!
    A dual Mesa rig is shaking the floor on my musicroom on top of my garage!