Playing Kemper next to a Real Amp

• if you show up to a band practice with a kemper power head and a Atomic NEO CLR, and you play with :P other guitarists who use regular amps and pedals, if there a noticeable difference in the sound between them?

If there were two guitarists in the band and both used a kemper, I would assume the sound would meld together better, but playing next to regular amps, does the kemper and CLR sound weak or "different" or digital.... or does it blend in perfectly

• What kind of cab do you use?

I have an avatar 2x12 but it's in the vintage Marshall type cabinet, so it's big and heavy...I'm looking for something that's more convenient to carry and transport...

Do you think the Atomic CLR cabinets are the same thing as the wedges, same thing in a different box?

• I have an Atomic wedge and a 1x12" conventional cab (Greenback equipped) in my rehearsal room.
    Generally I find there's no fundamental difference.
    I can play both, even simultaneously if I want.
    The Atomic always wins for clarity and dispersion and bringing out the best in different profiles.
    The cab sounds great (like a good cab) with profiles suited for this speaker.

To get the best out of the Kemper FRFR is recommended.
    Also there's no fundamental difference between the Atomic cab and the wedge, except for the form factor.

• I think it can depend on the space a bit, as well. I have used a panama 2x12 and mesa 4x12, with and with out the PA, and I think a real guitar cab sounds better in smaller spaces, even against a backing track. In a space big enough that you'd need to mic a cab, FRFR is your best friend. Still doesn't stop you from having your cab and uh... eating it too. Or something.

I find the point of the guitar cab to be a live feedback tool for pick and palm-mute response and controlled microphonic feedback. Otherwise, leave that hutch at home! Live that XLR life!

• What kind of cab do you use?

I have an avatar 2x12 but it's in the vintage Marshall type cabinet, so it's big and heavy...I'm looking for something that's more convenient to carry and transport...

Do you think the Atomic CLR cabinets are the same thing as the wedges, same thing in a different box?

I'm using a ported 2x12 Cab loaded with WGS ET 65. Works well for clean and distorted tones and it's not heavy.

It's a FUCHS cab.

• I've been in a rehearsal studio over the last few weeks, in a band with another guitarist. The other guy uses a 50W Marshall JVM and 4x12 cab. He dials in a very loud, chunky sound. He loves that typical compressed Marshall gain and thumpy 4x12 feel.
    I've been using my Profiler with a single Yamaha DXR10. I can't comment on the CLR.
    I can nail any sound I want, with greater clarity, cut and dispersion, as @Ingolf said previously. I also seem to have way more perceived volume on tap - possibly because of the greater clarity.
    I love how my guitar sounds and never feel that the Kemper sounds artificial or digital next to a valve amp. I wouldn't swap.

• I use a PowerHead with a Mission Engineering Gemini 1-P and the coaxial design very much behaves and responds like a traditional cab while being FRFR. I definitely recommend people check it out who want the FRFR solution and feel of a cab.

That being said, everybody is different. Some guys say the CLR sounds and feels exactly as a cab, others say it sounds boxy and like a PA. Same with the DXR10. I recommend, if possible, trying out different solutions and seeing what works for you.

• I use a CLR and my other guitarist uses a Marshall 2/12 or 4/12 . I have no issues... when I compared with the Yamaha DXR10 . I could hear a midrange hump which would most likely cut through the mix easily

• It seem to me it's not really like you fell.

I play with an other guitarist in a band, he played through a JCM 900 and i find my sound better with my Kemper.
    I play through two JBL JRX 100 (15"), I find my sound really awesome.

Maybe it's because of your settings that you're sound is not so good.
    I seem it's better to play through 15" speakers.

• I've been in a rehearsal studio over the last few weeks, in a band with another guitarist. The other guy uses a 50W Marshall JVM and 4x12 cab. He dials in a very loud, chunky sound. He loves that typical compressed Marshall gain and thumpy 4x12 feel.
    I've been using my Profiler with a single Yamaha DXR10. I can't comment on the CLR.
    I can nail any sound I want, with greater clarity, cut and dispersion, as @Ingolf said previously. I also seem to have way more perceived volume on tap - possibly because of the greater clarity.
    I love how my guitar sounds and never feel that the Kemper sounds artificial or digital next to a valve amp. I wouldn't swap.

I have converted a few tube amp purists over the last couple of years ;)

Still,there are those who are used to a wall of 4x12's (seriously, I know of quite a few guys that have at 2 they run in stereo) who are never going to be happy with a 1x12 and a KPA.

Most everyone else will easily agree that the KPA and a good FRFR cab is capable of anything a 4x12 cab could achieve, and in many respects it is better.

• Hey guys I'm new to the forum here so excuse me if I do something wrong. I was wondering if a Yamaha dxr10 is loud enough to be in a low tuned metal band and compete with another guitarist using a 4x12. Im mostly worried about the low end since I play an 8 string even though I don't use the lowest string much. I'm also wondering if a dxr12 is better for my application

• Hey guys I'm new to the forum here so excuse me if I do something wrong. I was wondering if a Yamaha dxr10 is loud enough to be in a low tuned metal band and compete with another guitarist using a 4x12. Im mostly worried about the low end since I play an 8 string even though I don't use the lowest string much. I'm also wondering if a dxr12 is better for my application

Go to a store and try out the DXR12 and 15 if you can. It just may help with your sound. I don't think the 10" can handle such low frequencies (like a bass) very well.

i feel like i keep repeating myself on here but i would definitely recommend the Line 6 Firehawk 1500. its great for sounds like deftones,animals as leaders,northlane,periphery type sounds. crystal clear.

i use it in my band with my powered kemper and keep up with everyone in the band. the other guitarist has a 6505+ with a 4x12 and i sometimes overpower him even when he cranks it

• I'm sure it's a really nice solution, but the weight is pretty substantial. If I never had to move it myself I might be tempted. ;)

• Hi! In our band the other guitarist had a Kemper playing through an Jbl 15" frfr and myself playing through kemper and dxr 10. Last rehersal he had sold his kemper and got an evh 5150||| with matching 2x12 cab.

The sound separation is much better between us now when he plays trough his 5150 i think.
    We play loud, so my dxr is at aprox 80% of max.

To the other guy who wondered about dxr 10 and 8 stringed...
    Try the dxr15, it sounds identical to the dxr 10 but with more low end on tap if you need it and goes a bit louder.
    It`s easier to remove low end from a 15" than to add low end to a 10" that can`t handle it:)
    The firehawk also sound interesting, i mean if Devin Townsend chooses to use it with his kemper live it can`t suck that bad ;)