KPA - will it sound as huge live as a tube amp would?

• What is the best way to use the KPA live? 20

1. 2. Tube (FR or non-FR) PA + regular guitar cab (7) 35%
    2. 4. Powered speakers (7) 35%
    3. 1. Solid state PA + regular guitar cab (4) 20%
    4. 3. Atomic FR combo (2) 10%

Hi guys!

I've already posted this question on TGP but as I'm more and more interested in the KPA and torn between it and the Mesa, I'm sure regular KPA users can tell me the truth :)
    So, I'm GASing for either a Kemper + some quality PA and cab (or FRFR solution) OR a Mesa Road King II head.
    Hearing so many good things about the KPA and being aware that the Mesa RKII has been profiled already as well, I'm really considering choosing the Kemper over the Mesa.
    The only thing that concerns me is live playing - will the Kemper ever come close to sounding as huge and dynamic like, for example, the Mesa would?
    If the answer is yes, which solution is better for making the KPA sound like a real guitar amp:

1. Getting a solid-state power amp and using my 4*12 V30 cab
    2. Getting a tube power amp and using my 4*12 V30 cab
    3. Getting an Atomic FR solution and plugging straight into it
    4. Getting some powered speakers (think QSC K12) and running straight into them
    + a good solution seems to be getting an Atomic REACTOR 50/50 which is a full range power amp with 2*50 power and I could run one side 6L6 and the other side EL34 into my 4*12 cabinet = super versatility?

I'm really waiting forward for your opinions guys, because I'm about to spend lots of $$$ here (I'm from Hungary, everything is ridiculously expensive here) and I'd really like to get the best possible results for my hard-earned bucks.

Thanks!

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• There is no "best way". It's a matter of taste. I use In-Ear and FRFR - couldn't be happier.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Jsut try it. Thomann has 30 days money back which you will not need :D It sounds like the amp - period.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Jsut try it. Thomann has 30 days money back which you will not need :D It sounds like the amp - period.

Yes, this would be the best option, but for this I'd have to invest into a decent power amp to test it through my cab, so it's not that easy. However, reading all the opinions and listening to the sound samples all around the web is convincing me a lot - although I'd love to hear some sound samples recorded with a real guitar cab - sound samples that I haven't really found yet.

• Yes, this would be the best option, but for this I'd have to invest into a decent power amp to test it through my cab, so it's not that easy. However, reading all the opinions and listening to the sound samples all around the web is convincing me a lot - although I'd love to hear some sound samples recorded with a real guitar cab - sound samples that I haven't really found yet.

Maybe you could ask TylerHB or Sheguitarplayer if they make a comparison, they are our KPA-through-Cab experts...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Just to let you guys know, I've decided. I'm not the type of guy who thinks too much and confuses himself - actually I almost did in this situation, and I hate this.
    I'm getting the KPA as soon as my Peavey JSX sells off.
    And I'll happily play the boutique amps it offers which I'd never ever in my life get a chance to play - even if they're "only" 99% correct.
    Also, crap on Mesa/Boogie for asking for double prices in Europe. The RKII is really only worth half of what I'd pay for it here.
    So I'll just happily sing this into the aether whilst playing the Dr. Z amps:
    Welcome to the future!

• invest into a decent power amp to test it through my cab

Check out the Thomann T.Amp power amps. They are heavy like hell (well... 11kg - I think that's much for a solid-state power amp), but I think they sound very good for its price. I compared the E-800 to the Velocity 300 and an ENGL 840/50 (or something like that) - I prefered the E-800. And it is 145€ 8|

• richaxes

No one's mentioned the fact that the KPA is packed with Mesa Boogie Profiles ...the best and most Profiled amps on the KPA are Mesa Boogies...and they all sound incredible.
    Current Mesa Boogie Profiles, 2 or 3 different Roadkings, MKV, MK1V, Dual Rectifier, Triple Rectifier...and that's just from Europe, wait till the American boys arrive.

To add to that, Tyler just shared 35 Mesa Boogie cab Profiles with us...between these cabs and the various Mesa amp Profiles, the KPA is Mesa Boogie heaven. :)

• Ive already replied to this on the gear page but will reiterate it here anyway.
    Profiles Ive done of my own amps, when run through my atomic frfr amp and my guitar cab, sound just the same as the amps.
    All the other profiles sound and feel as I would expect them to if they were real amps but I can't make that same comparison.
    As Christoph Kemper stated, there is a compare function while profiling. This shows just how confident he is in the KPA. The entire concept of the KPA would fall apart every profile made if it did not work as the person making the profile would hear the difference immediately.
    Crap in = crap out. If you don't like a sound its just that, not the KPA itself.There are loads of Mesa profiles available already, and through a power amp/ cab many of them are outstanding.
    There are loads of cab profiles to choose from if you want to go FRFR, but this will always sound at least a little different to regular guitar amp/cab because it includes the microphone and mixing desk which colours the sound to varying degrees, and pa/frfr monitors have a completely different frequency response and spread to guitar cabs. Add to that the 'tweeter' in these cabs and they always sound a bit different.
    There is a fantastic section detailing all this on the FAQ section of the KPA web site.

• Thank you so much for your answers, guys!
    I've got a second question.
    I was looking at solutions for amping the KPA and I've found the RCF NX-15SMA, which seems a very nice solution (and it fits my budget nicely), actually it seems the best solution for amping the KPA. Do you have any other/better ideas for this?

• Thank you so much for your answers, guys!
    I've got a second question.
    I was looking at solutions for amping the KPA and I've found the RCF NX-15SMA, which seems a very nice solution (and it fits my budget nicely), actually it seems the best solution for amping the KPA. Do you have any other/better ideas for this?

I would say that unless you play heavy drop-tuning stuff the 12 is enough. I have it on the radar screen and I'm holding off only because of the new Atomic CLR

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I'm sure people will be profiling preamps of some of the amps as well so you can use them with tube amps if you really wanted to go that route.