tone matching

• I tried to do some tone matching on a guitar track: I created a IR with voxengo deconvolver and convert it with cabmaker 2.0 but the result is not so good and not so similar to
    original tone matched track. What's I wrong?

• I've tried to figure out the issue and opened a support ticket on it. Even if you follow the specs in the cab maker manual the IR gets squished. It throws off many sections of the frequency response.

Support does not know much about IRs. So that did not get me anywhere. Creating a 1.5 second IR with a pure impulse will get you closer but it's still not right. Swine sweep will be totally off.

IMO you're better off using an IR plugin. (Unless you figure out a way to make it work)

• I use an impulse 44.1 24 bit and 1.5 second... With IR plugin work well, but I have too latency and not a realtime response.
    Maybe my soundcard it's not right for it I don't known. Anyway I don't understand why it's impossibile transfer eq matching on the kemper.
    I suppose that amplifier and cabinet have a sort of dependency even if we saw them separate.
    For test a sell kemper IR I should have the kemper format and the wave format to compare.

• deactivating the Cabinet activates the CabMaker,
    so doing so, auditioning IRs, selecting a good sounding one, converting it with CabMaker and loading it is not valid A/B comparison.

CabDriver, I guess? ;)

Does this really matter? This comparison is with a "third party cab" (the IR, converted with Cab Maker) added to the rig right?
    In recording A, you record the amp section without a cab, so CabDriver is activated. In the recording B, you record the amp section with an imported cab, that doesn't belong to the same studio profile. In that case, CabDriver is still engaged, right?

• CabDriver, I guess? ;)
    Does this really matter? This comparison is with a "third party cab" (the IR, converted with Cab Maker) added to the rig right?
    In recording A, you record the amp section without a cab, so CabDriver is activated. In the recording B, you record the amp section with an imported cab, that doesn't belong to the same studio profile. In that case, CabDriver is still engaged, right?

This confuses me as well.

• I deactivate the cabinet,recorded a single track with only amplifier on. Then I did tone matching on reference tone and save the new IR and I converted it with cab maker and then imported on kemper. If I record a new track with the kemper and the new cabinet and compare it with the tone matched track is different.

• @DonPetersen I guess the question is how to get the IR to properly work in the Kemper? I followed the requirements and it never matched up to the original IR. Lows,some mids and highs were completely off from the original IR. Not only in levels but the positions changed of the frequency response. What settings need to be changed in the Kemper when loading an converted IR to Kemper cab?

• I deactivate the cabinet,recorded a single track with only amplifier on. Then I did tone matching on reference tone and save the new IR and I converted it with cab maker and then imported on kemper. If I record a new track with the kemper and the new cabinet and compare it with the tone matched track is different.

like I said,
    (or meant to say, hehe)
    deactivating the Cabinet activates the CabDriver algorithm,
    that's why Amplifier with deactivated Cabinet + external IR is different from Amplifier with activated Cabinet (using the converted IR)

• like I said,(or meant to say, hehe)
    deactivating the Cabinet activates the CabDriver algorithm,
    that's why Amplifier with deactivated Cabinet + external IR is different from Amplifier with activated Cabinet (using the converted IR)

So if I had a head that I was direct profiling. The head would not match the direct profile because of the CabDriver algorithm? Is this active during the profiling stage or only saved profiles?

This is what I am doing as well.

So, converting the IR to a Kemper cab isn't accurate due to the CabDriver? Sounds like there needs to be a cabdriver on/off option in the cab module.

• @deadpan I don't think this problem is related to voxengo Deconvolver because if I use keFIR vst in cubase
    and load into this plugin the new IR create it's very very close to my reference track while the sound with the new cabinet create
    with cabmaker it's different.

I compare two signal:

signal1:

rig1 with cabinet off -----> cubase input ----> KeFIR VST with new IR

compare with

signal2:

rig1 with new IR as cabinet

• deactivating the Cabinet activates the CabDriver algorithm,

OK, now I understand why using IR's on cab section and same IR's loaded in the DAW will give differents results.

So, converting the IR to a Kemper cab isn't accurate due to the CabDriver? Sounds like there needs to be a cabdriver on/off option in the cab module.

So, definetly +1

• @deadpan I follow this tutorial

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    but I use ozone to tone matching.