tone matching

• No offense taken. I have seen you and a few others put others down before and say "read the manual". Not everyone can and trust me I have looked at it. For my brain it is over worded and not to the point. I can figure things out most of the time on my own without even reading. Coding, graphic design,etc... My brain is extremely strong in problem solving beyond a typical person. Now when it comes to reading, I am far below the typical person. Just something to think about before you jump in not knowing somethings situation.

• In my opinion, a "Read the manual" is generally a very acceptable response on an online forum as one would assume anyone reading the forum would also be able to read a few pages of the manual as well. Typically most people are too lazy to reference the manual. In my case, it is usually that manuals don't have enough details.

Sorry about your disability @schreckmusic . My sister has the same situation.

• Agreed @DannyEvil but honestly I stay away from the long posts. This video pretty much sums me up.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In my opinion, a "Read the manual" is generally a very acceptable response on an online forum as one would assume anyone reading the forum would also be able to read a few pages of the manual as well. Typically most people are too lazy to reference the manual. In my case, it is usually that manuals don't have enough details.

Sorry about your disability @schreckmusic . My sister has the same situation.

Agreed, Danny.

When I cordially exhort someone to read the manual, I typically also include the download link to that manual as well as reference to the specific section and pages in which their question can be found and answered.

There may have been a few times when frustration overcame the angels of my better nature...nevertheless, I strive to be courteous and helpful, while still emphasizing the importance and benefits of reference to and familiarization with the Kemper user manuals.

Cheers,
    John

• Not to continue going off topic on this. But I have no issues reading, it's the remembering and over thinking. I read that section before you posted it John. 1st thought for me was, is there some kind of algorithm running with the direct profile? They never said the cab driver is not running. It's my lack of understanding, which is why I posted the question.

• @schreckmusic I tried to do tone matching with a merged profile. I used a short inpulse 0.3 second with voxengo decolvolver.
    After I converted with cabmaker the IR to cabinet and record from kemper a new track with amplifier and the new cabinet build.
    I compare the new track recorded with the reference tone. There are difference in high frequency. The rest seems to be the same.
    So I use after cabinet three metal equalizer in serie with high cut at 8300 hz and the match is very similar.
    Any idea how cut away frequency over 8k?

This is comparation signal (without three metal equalizer): kemper recorded track(yellow) vs reference tone.

• I do not think the Kemper has a brickwall type EQ. You can contact support and open a ticket to make sure.
    You're getting close though!

use the High Cut in the Studio Eq to attenuate high frequencies.
    the way the frequency content just stops existing is pretty drastic, most likely unmusical and not something worth pursuing IMO.
    super step cutoffs like this will always give you a resonance at the cutoff point, it almost looks like it is the result of a data limitation in the source file, not an artistic choice.

ears > eyes

• Put Studio EQ or Graphic EQ after the Stack Section, for example at Slot X. Then apply Low Pass at desired frequency (8k?).

• Not to dig up a dead horse, but I am attempting to convert some of my IR's and am still experiencing the same thing. I was hoping it would magically fix itself.

Kemper default is to have Pure Cab checked with the level at 3. To get the IR to sound the same in the Kemper, you need to uncheck pure cab (the global setting) and not only lower it to zero.

• How are you auditioning the IRs? Through an Impulse player in a computer? When I did that a while back I used a VST plugin player and disabled the cab in Kemper and selected IRs I liked then converted them. When I played them on the Kemper I got same results using the same audio interface that i played the IRs on.

• In my DAW using Fractal Cab Lab. This IR is a tonematch so I have a reference to compare the results to as well.

Using Cab Lab the match is spot on using the Kemper’s amp tone with no cab into Cab Lab. KeFir works fine as well.

I have some SinMix IR’s as well as the KPA version that I am going to test.

If the cab driver does put mojo on when enabled, this would all make sense. I am just really surprised there would be that much coloration. I even double checked my output to make sure there was no EQ.

The tone is the same when playing the Kemper. I suppose using the headphone jack to be 100% positive it is not my interface and going in via SPDIF can eliminate other potential problems.

@deadpan Have you done a test on your IR’s like this?