I've reset the gain level on my monitorings.. It's placebo or there's more dynamics on low gain/clean sounds?

• Hello,

Since several months now, I can't dial a correct tone on my Kemper. I also bought a Line 6 Helix and had the same problem. Especially on clean and low gain profiles.
    The main problem for me was the dynamics, I always had to use the compressor (at 4.5 / 100%) and it wasn't often satisfying.. I always need to raise the volume to get ok dynamics, but the volume is quite high. Too much for a house.
    I can't understand because when I bought my Presonus Eris 8 especially for my Kemper 3 years ago, the sound was amazing without over compressing or using high volume..

I tried different cables, tried to plug my Kemper directly into my monitoring (usually it's plugged in a Behringer Mixer to allow me to mix my computer level, the kemper, and the MP3 player), tried to init globals on the kemper, nothing changed and today I just saw that my monitorings gain level was at 8 o'clock (approx. 1/10). In the Eris' manual, they say neutral gain level is at 12 o'clock (5/10).
    I've reset it like that, tried to A/B 12 o'clock and 8 o'clock (without forgetting to match the Kemper Level),

It seems to me there's better dynamics, but I wonder if it's not placebo effect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys :)

• It's not a placebo effect, imo. Gain staging is very important to get the most out of your gear. Something that's set too high or too low will have a cascading impact on your tone.

I'd suggest you hook up a pair of headphones to your Kemper and then listen to the tone. Then play through your monitors with the gain set at neutral (12 o'clock). If there's too much distortion, lower the volume of the output you're using. Try and get your tone to sound through your monitors like it sounds through your headphones (which I hope are relatively neutral and sound good to you).

• It's not a placebo effect, imo. Gain staging is very important to get the most out of your gear. Something that's set too high or too low will have a cascading impact on your tone.

I'd suggest you hook up a pair of headphones to your Kemper and then listen to the tone. Then play through your monitors with the gain set at neutral (12 o'clock). If there's too much distortion, lower the volume of the output you're using. Try and get your tone to sound through your monitors like it sounds through your headphones (which I hope are relatively neutral and sound good to you).

Well, I never play thru headphones because I don't like it, but I think my headphones are ok for this test (AKG 240), I'll give a try, thanks!

Is there a difference in...
    - Attack
    - Loudness apart from attack
    - Drive/overdrive (I know you're talking low gain :-))
    ?

Especially in the attack yes. Nope about the 2 others.

Thanks for your replies guys. I've just took time to A/B again my monitorings with low gain and gain at 12 o'clock, it really seems things are better (i'd say, "normal") when it's set at 12 o'clock.