Knopfler and Gilmour request

• Hy guys. I'm a new KPA user.
    I am beginning to use the Kemper right now.
    I would like to search a rig for Mark knopfler in Brothers in Arms Live ("On the night" album), and David Gilmour in Comfortably Numbs ( the lead solos).
    I have the Pensa Suhr guitar and the Gilmour Fender Strato guitar.
    Can someone help me?
    Thank You in advance.
    Rullomax

PS. Have inside Kemper Profile Amps some factory rigs? I do not find them! May be because I have installed the last firmware?

• Thank You to everyone!

Sorry, I don't' have a Pensa Suhr MKI unfortunately, but only a Suhr MK (NAMM SHOW edition).

• Im having trouble finding either of these members rigs..are they not uploaded to the kemper main site?

THe Hiwatt 103 is one of Andys commercial rigs, but still highly recommended for Gilmour tones. Keep in mind that Davids tone is not bone dry Hiwatt but relies heavily on the use of a Big Muff and a colorsound overdrive in serial. Andy44 has one Rig where he profiled a DR103 with a 2some pedal in front of it and that sounds spot on with my strat.

As for the Brothers in arms sound:

That's not the typical Knopfler fenderish sound. The mentioned "Telegraph"-Rig is tweaked for the sound of "Telegraph Road" which was a Strat with a brownface Fender (don't know which one out of my head). Brothers in arms was originally recorded with a '66 JTM45 and a 1960 Marshall cab from the same period. Mark still has and uses this very amp and the cab today. It was done with a Les Paul. On the record Mark used one of the first reissues but he aquired two original Bursts since then and used them ever since. I don't know the live-album you are referring to but I highly doubt he played that song on anything other than one of his bursts.

The key to this sound is using a vintage Marshall profile and a vintage cab. Vintage in this case means pre 1980, it won't work with a JCM800 and up. There are lots of plexi Marshalls even among the factory profiles and for a suitable cab take the one from the Siggi Mehl amp from the Rig Pack 1 (should be on the Kemper site in the download section). You should be aware of the fact that Mark turns the Bass way down on his Marshall and Mids and treble way up with gain around 2 - 3 o'clock. There is a picture on Guy Fletchers recording diary page that shows the amp set up for such a sound as it was used for a recent recording.

So if you choose a Plexi-style profile take one with the least amount of Bass and a good deal of midrange. It's the combination of the Cello-like sound of a neck PAF on a LEs Paul together with the throaty midrange of a vintage Marshall. I had a take on that sound as well as I was going for that in the intro of a new track of mine and I think I settled on the profile of a Randall amp with a JTM45 preamp module. I think it is called something like "Gigmods" should be at the Rig Exchange somewhere. I used that with the S. Mehl cab (a vintage greenback cab) and I think I had a good take on that sound.

Having said that I highly doubt you can get that typical sound with a Pensa Suhr. Are you really sure he played that live version on such a guitar?

And I final note for all questions regarding a specific tone:

I found the best way to get there with the KPA is to find out what amp and gear was originally used, find a profile of that amp and/or pedal, use the same guitar with similar pickups and tweak from there. It works 99% of the time ;)

Edited 2 times, last by Garrincha ().

• 100 % !

quote from one of the best football player ever : :D
    And I final note for all questions regarding a specific tone:

I found the best way to get there with the KPA is to find out what amp and gear was originally used, find a profile of that amp and/or pedal, use the same guitar with similar pickups and tweak from there. It works 99% of the time ;)

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)