EQ to help your hearing loss

• And Harry does not get old age he becomes vintage

Harry was born vintage. Just sayin'. :D

Fascinating, Ant. You asked for feedback on the mixes. Well, I expected the ride to be less-prominent after you mixed post-correction, but it wasn't. However, the guitar was louder and the mix smoother overall; I'd say that all-up there was a definite improvement.

Only going by what my CrapMac™ mono speaker spits out, mind you, but the difference was quite-obvious. Well done, man.

• You're 100% correct about the ride and there's a reason.

It was an experiment where I routed SD into a few channels. Record the output so I can add post FX.

Then from the Slate CLA tutorial I created IRs using CLA EQ settings. My thought process at the time was to test the results and stop my Slate monthly subscription and use the IRs.

I'm still using the IRs and kept the Slate subscription because there are plugins in there that are awesome.

So I need to fix the routing in SD as all cymbals,HH and ride are on the same stereo out.

• Ha! Thank you for explaining that, Ant.

Funny, not being able to route the ride separately is my biggest beef with SSD4.

Been following the SSD5-waiting thread at GS for a long time now. I'm convinced its arrival is "imminent":

Any News on Steven Slate Drums 5? - Page 14

• I bought SSD4 when it was on sale and honestly have not used it. haha. Too much gear syndrome!

Besides not hearing different frequencies properly my major issue is starting with drums that are mixed too brightly. Then trying to make the guitar tones work with that. All my mixes are way too bright and that could be the reason. Plus I need a set of decent monitors.

• Same here. Bought on sale. Not used (only tested). Hearing loss too!

I couldn't hear anything above 10 or 12k last time I tested, and that was many years ago, and I reckon it'd be worse now. The trick is, in my case, to leave the high end alone as much as possible! My secondary rule is to never boost and only cut if I touch it at all.

Got ridiculously-high praise from a "heavyweight" for my mixing of my own demos back in the '90s (last time I recorded!), and the philosophy I described is how I handled the high end. Extra sparkle was added in mastering, which said pro did.

I'm telling you this to allay any fears you might have around hearing loss, Ant. It makes sense to simply leave untouched any areas on the spectrum that you can't hear properly or at all; I proved it can work. Then again, maybe I just got lucky, but the demo did incorporate ballads, R&B, EDM and rock.