Sharing presets vs. sharing profiles ???

• For those of you with a KPA who have experienced this problem with modelers can you tell us how the KPA works in this situation...

You hear a great clip on the internet of the modeler that you own, you download the preset from the person who made the clip and it sounds nothing like the clip you heard, in fact, it usually sounds pretty bad.

So, with the KPA, you hear a great sounding clip on the internet, you download the profile into your KPA, does it sound just like the clip you heard, does it sound anything like the clip you heard?

• Your hands and the guitar still makes a difference, but normally if you like the clip you like also the Rig, and if it is not 100% it is quick and easy to tweak it (learning curve is matter of couple of days)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Hard to answer, but I'll try.

If you hear a great clip and download the Profile/Rig, use the same guitar/pickups, play as well as the guy who made the recording, you'll sound exactly like the clip...but you know that. :)

Thing is, with the Kemper your chances of downloading a great sounding "Rig" are greater than with any other modeller I've used, because the "user" has less chance of screwing up the tone because everything sounds so good out the box....it's programmed so well to begin with.
    With other modellers, I wont mention the names, you have to be a genius to figure out how to scroll through a dozen menus to tweak certain parameters to create a good tone, and a few weeks later with the new firmware you're having to learn to re-tweak everything again.

Having said that, there are some cool "tricks" with the Kemper as well, and each guy will come up with his own magic, just like with previous modellers.
    I learnt a lot from Glen Delaune by checking out his HD500 patches, and the same will happen with the Kemper, there'll be some great 'Rig/Patch' makers that will stand out above the rest.
    I was immediately impressed with Manfred Franzkowiak's presets, so I'll keep a look out for them in the future.

• That's the problem with most "sound demo's".
    A very good player and a POD may sound better than an average player with a KPA - especially if he knows how to record/arrange and uses a great sounding backing track - in addition does it sound better in case it's louder (so a lot of compression may be added too). And in live demos they play as loud as they can ...
    This facts are well known by all manufactures ;)

I prefer sound samples of some basic riffs / notes without any backing tracks.

As with any good tube amp - it will sound different in case you switch guitars or even pickups.
    But I found that great tube amps sound good with all my guitars - only different.
    While bad (heavy tweaked) patches (in modelers) sound ok for one guitar and in some cases only for one pickup position.

The KPA acts more like a real amp - most of my profiles work fine for my vintage Strat, my LesPauls, Teles and even JEM.

But of course a high gain amp may sound funny with the Strat - while a great Fender profile my sound strange with an humbucker guitar with active EMG's.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().