Fishman Fluence Modern vs Classic -- using Sinmix's free bugera profile.

• Dear all,

I haven't noticed these pickups being as popular here.

Anyway, quick comparison:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The classics are definitely some of my favourite pickups ever. Articulate, dynamic, much wow.

Moderns... Well, as usual. Super high gain... which I find does not work as well for my metal tones compared to lower gain pickups anyway.

Classics have more clarity, better mids, even tighter I would say...

Cheerios

• Amazing! Prefer the Classic vibe. More better sounding. Moderns not good for metal, at least with rythm parts.

Best tone comes from you... Play Loud!

• I can see the moderns being of use with some very vintage amp that needs a very strong signal to distort. But not with our kempers :)

• I do like the Classics better however wondering what the difference would be if you had put the classics in the Les Paul and the moderns in your other guitar? Any chance you have done any blues or classic rock doing the comparison? Sorry i'm more old school

Dan

• I do like the Classics better however wondering what the difference would be if you had put the classics in the Les Paul and the moderns in your other guitar? Any chance you have done any blues or classic rock doing the comparison? Sorry i'm more old school

Dan

Hello Dan,

Guitars are relatively similar (strat scale length, bridge). I've Swapped the pickups around before between these two guitars and did not feel any substantial difference in terms of the guitar changing the sound.

I wouldn't do a test between these two sets with rock blues tones, because the moderns are not by any means suited for such music, but the classics do these styles great.

I'll probably put the classics up against Gibson paffs in a more rock blues test. Voice 1 of the classics (Bridge) is like a vintage paff (which used to have less windings and hence more treble) and voice 2 has a gainier, more bassy and modern tone you get with paffs with more windings.

Cheers

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• I didn't like the moderns that I tried...seemed more compressed that EMGs and hotter as well...the passive mode sounded pretty good though!

the classics sounded nicer to my ears in that video ...maybe I will check out a set

• I didn't like the moderns that I tried...seemed more compressed that EMGs and hotter as well...the passive mode sounded pretty good though!

the classics sounded nicer to my ears in that video ...maybe I will check out a set

Definitely less compressed than emg 81s I'd say (have them all in different guitars here). It's just that they have way way way too much gain imho and drive amps too hard.

What you can do is wire the low gain option (Yeap they have that!) on. Then both voices become better than before on the moderns imho.

But classics still rule :) some of the best pickups ever imho.

• Is it just a matter of putting a jumper across those two pins?
    that might be a workable fix!

I'm kinda interested in dropping out the HP mode and using a push pull pot for the coil split option

Also I might try to reverse the mode changes so passive is on when the push pull isn't up cause I seem to like it more.

If I don't gel with them I might try those Slash alnico pros

• When I got the package it had about 4 jumpers and 2 jumpers with a single wire.....Ithought these might have been for coil tap

So is it just a straight jumper or do you have to use one with the wire and then wire that to ground?

• When I got the package it had about 4 jumpers and 2 jumpers with a single wire.....Ithought these might have been for coil tap

So is it just a straight jumper or do you have to use one with the wire and then wire that to ground?

Uhm, I'm not totally sure, but I think the straight jumper wont do anything by itself. It's probably included in box in case a jumper breaks.

If I remember correct I used a jumper with 2 wires, connecting to the pickup quick connect.. Then just cut these wires short if you don't care about the effect being coil tapable and solder them together (or just tie them together and put tape).