Kemper and Focusrite 2i4

• Hello,

Quick question.
    I Have puchased a Focusrite 2i4 audio interface. I want to record on my mac with logic pro x. I have hooked up my KRK Rokit 6 monitors to the audio interface. Now I want to hook up the kemper to the interface as well.
    Which cables do I use to hook the kemper up to the 2i4 interface? / How do I hook up the kemper to the interface?

Greetings,
    Bob

• Kemper Main Out to the Focusrite woud be a good starting point. One cable if mono is enough or 2 cables for stereo.
    Check in kemper output section the main out setting (main out mono vs stereo).
    Have a look also at:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• the 2i4 doesn't have S/PDIF ... use TRS cables, not XLR cables. Focusrite interfaces automatically detect mic vs. line level by the connection. The Kemper delivers line level, so there's no point in using the mic preamps (XLR). :)

Well shit, I was wondering why I sounded different through the 2i4. Cheers.

• the 2i4 doesn't have S/PDIF ... use TRS cables, not XLR cables. Focusrite interfaces automatically detect mic vs. line level by the connection. The Kemper delivers line level, so there's no point in using the mic preamps (XLR). :)

IMO you can use also XLR. You have to set the input to line level on the 2i4
    Edit: Okay better no XLR! 2i4 has no mic / line switch.

• Afaik, the (software) mic/line switch is only available on interfaces that have physically different inputs (no combo jacks). For example the Saffire Liquid Pro 56. There you can connect different signals at the same time and then just switch via MixControl.

• Sorry, but I'm not very good with these things. I now have connected my KRK monitors to the Focusrite 2i4. I have got my guitar into front input kemper. I have a trs cable from main output to focusrite but I have no signal. Am I missing something or do I need to connect more cables ?

• To the left of the big "Monitor" knob on the 2i4 is a black knob called "Direct Monitor". set this to center position so you can hear the Kemper AND your computer playback. This is not a volume control but basically a mix knob, how much computer and how much Direct Monitoring do you want? :)
    In other words, if you turn it all the way to the right, you won't hear the Focusrite Inputs.

• Kemper Main Out to the Focusrite woud be a good starting point. One cable if mono is enough or 2 cables for stereo.
    Check in kemper output section the main out setting (main out mono vs stereo).
    Have a look also at:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Got a quick question for you recording experts.

Sorry for the noob question...but while I have played guitar for many a moon(s), I never got into the whole recording side of things. A deficiency I plan on soon correcting.

Anyways, the question has to do with how you guys handle the changes you make to the Output settings, for recording purposes. Or, more specifically, what do you do to easily return the KPA's Output settings to their normal state, when you are no longer recording, and are just playing your KPA. Do you assign the recording Output settings as a "preset", and also save your normal Output settings as another "preset"?

Hope I am being clear, in my question.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Cheers,
    John

• Hey John,

I am not aware if this is possible - to save the output settings as a preset for specific situations. This would be nice.
    I have only one difference in output settings for recording and live situation:
    I set the main checked the output setting to -12 db for live use.
    Anything else is the same.
    I have set always main out to master stereo (also stereo to FOH).
    For recording situation I record one track in stero and another track in mono (with try DI Signal over Direct out in case for reamping).
    Thats all.

Peter

• Understood. Thanks, Peter.

Cheers,
    John

• Sorry, but I'm not very good with these things. I now have connected my KRK monitors to the Focusrite 2i4. I have got my guitar into front input kemper. I have a trs cable from main output to focusrite but I have no signal. Am I missing something or do I need to connect more cables ?

Hey Hook,

did you get things working? I have your exact setup (Logic, Kemper, 2i4). Shout if you need help, ok?

I use it the following:

1) main out left into left input of 2i4. Main out right into right input of 2i4
    2) Play guitar, you should see the input lights flashing. If you, adjust input on your 2i4.
    3) In logic select the 2i4 in Perferences->Audio
    4) Make an audio track within Logic and select the inputs, click on the circle and change from mono to stereo

That should be it. The main volume on the Kemper also needs to be set to a level that is loud enough for the 2i4's input without overdriving it.

Tell us how it went for you.