SPDIF Higher bitrate.

• Just connect it in analog to you interface and record at whatever rate you want...where is the problem? The balanced output of the Kemper is a lot better then most of studio amp/cab/mic I know...

The problem (as has been covered elsewhere in this and other threads before) is that it adds extra levels of conversion that shouldn't be necessary on a digital device and more latency. In addition SPDIF allows you to use your own convertors for bringing the guitar into the Kemper int he first place which allows you to get a higher quality signal in, and finally it allows you to record both a dry guitar track and the distorted track at once for later tweaking and re-amping, and it allows you to do that with full stereo from the KPA rather than dual mono (one dry the other with effects).

SPDIF is a great standard, it's on the Kemper for a reason, why have it but then cripple it to the point that you have to use the analog outs instead?

• Using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o and usually recording and mixing 48kHz (broadcast standard) it's impossible to use S/PDIF connection from the KPA.
    Very very sad and something that should be fixed indeed. Can't imagine any sound engineer running his equipment in 44.1kHz only.

Yes, I can (and actually do) use analog i/o, but imho it's kind of crazy to do one extra DA->AD conversion in the signal chain, no?

Cheers,
    Martin

• Today I checked with Focusrite tech support and they confirmed that none of their devices (even the new ones) have internal sample rate conversion.
    That means, with KPA S/PDIF Out you currently have to switch your whole audio signal chain to 44.1kHz. This is not an option for my work. I have to stay 48kHz.
    Of course I could add a Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC 2496 or Mutec MC-4 or Lake People SRC F422 to my gear collection.
    But to be honest, I think the KPA should be as versatile as possible without any additional 3rd party gear requirement.

Imho, there should be a "Made by Kemper" solution for this problem!
    Either a configurable S/PDIF Out ... or maybe even better a decent digital I/O board for the big hole in the back of the lunchbox (will never need it for power amp option).

Kemper Digital I/O Board could provide the following features:

• S/PDIF i/o (coax. Cinch & opt.)
    • AES/EBU i/o (XLR)
    • ADAT i/o (Lightpipe)
    • MADI i/o (opt. & coax. BNC)
    • Word Clock i/o (coax. BNC)
    • Master or Slave sync mode selectable
    • 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz & 192kHz i/o modes

Ok, I confess that for some this might be to much to ask for, but I'm a huge fan of 100% plug'n'play in terms of "I don't have to worry about connection limitations and requirements".
    And I'm willing to pay for this luxury, btw.

Cheers,
    Martin

• i think none could say anything better than that !!!!

i can't understand something so good but with 2 big lacks

1 spdif issue

2 pc editor or library management

• has there been any word from mothership if this is even possible? they could just tell us that it will never happen and we're supposed to live with it... ?(

• In addition SPDIF allows you to use your own convertors for bringing the guitar into the Kemper int he first place which allows you to get a higher quality signal in

If you use SPDIF the guitars signal is A/D converted in the Kemper and not in your interface, if you on the other hand use the analog outs of the Kemper then it is converted by your interface BUT also A/D D/A converted by the Kemper (3 conversions in total) which is of course isnt preferable.

I definately do agree that the KPA should be possible to slave to the DAW. Personally i record in 44.1 , but i guess some prefer higher rates and to have options is generally a good thing.

• If you use SPDIF the guitars signal is A/D converted in the Kemper and not in your interface, if you on the other hand use the analog outs of the Kemper then it is converted by your interface BUT also A/D D/A converted by the Kemper (3 conversions in total) which is of course isnt preferable.

I definately do agree that the KPA should be possible to slave to the DAW. Personally i record in 44.1 , but i guess some prefer higher rates and to have options is generally a good thing.

You can opt to use SPDIF in with the KPA, so using SPDIF in that instance will bypass the KPA's converters completely.

• You can opt to use SPDIF in with the KPA, so using SPDIF in that instance will bypass the KPA's converters completely.

Ahh, so you are not connecting the guitar to the Kemper at all then, but instead connecting the guitar to your interface and from there to SPDIF in and out through SPDIF out back to the interface... i missed that the KPA has a SPDIF input unlike my Boss GT-pro which only has SPDIF out, but the GT-pro has USB audio in/out though.

Well honest misstake on my part, after all i dont own a KPA, might some day though if it ever meets my feature requests (which it doesnt yet).

• +1337

I had to use my Axe-FX as an interface to record the KPA as the project was in 48 kHz :thumbdown:

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Hi guys, I just want to bring this topic to Kemper's attention again, because it is a serious issue for studio work.

1. Many studios run 48kHz and can't switch down to 44.1kHz when using the KPA with S/PDIF.
    This applies for all studios that work in the broadcast business, and they (me included) have serious trouble for that reason.
    Also, sample rate conversion is a can of worms in terms of sound. Would be great to avoid this by all means.

2. No studio can afford to synchronize on external gear. It's a huge problem that the KPA's S/PDIF is MASTER only!
    I've done quite a bit of research and there isn't any kind of "synchronizer" on the market that could fix this issue.

I would really like to know ...

a. If Kemper is aware of the above issues and
    b. if Kemper is in the process of finding a solution in some way or another.

Thanks,
    Martin