Cameron Aldrich DI Profile - Cab Added

• With all the hoopla surrounding the Cameron Aldrich thread in the commercial section, I figured I'd take a stab at making a DI profile of my Aldrich modded Marshall and share it with you guys for free. I think it responds and sounds very much like the actual amp in the room. No secret methods....just straight out of the amp to the Kemper DI box to the Kemper return. Crank it up through a power amp and 4x12 or load a cab of your liking and let it rip. If you guys like it, I'm sure I could capture some studio profiles as time permits. Please let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nal0…5-06%2022-03-18.kipr?dl=0

Edit: new DI profile added. It sounds huge here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mi4g…5-07%2013-23-50.kipr?dl=0

May 8 edit: added one of my cabs (Marshall 1960BX) to the DI profile for those that only use FRFR. Check it out -

DI profile with Marshall cab added:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd2k…5-08%2010-03-14.kipr?dl=0

***Comparison test between my profile and the $40 profile added to post #90***

• I'm all for Studio Profiles, man, as I generally don't touch DI ones, and likely won't 'til a more-friendly utility (editor) or feature of RM comes along that allows handling of large cab sets, or even one that automatically places a chosen-default cab into Direct Profiles. So, I hope you're able to find the time to make a / some Studio ones.

I'd be interested to hear how your free effort compares to the $40 one, so if anyone's able to share a clip or his / her opinions, I'm all-ears. I'm not in the least up for the $40 Profile, but could use some context given the the fact that the thread blew up and was closed, and there's been no further effort on the part of the seller to justify the price here. The lack of follow-up it telling, IMHO.

Thank you, Webb!

• I'm all for Studio Profiles, man, as I generally don't touch DI ones, and likely won't 'til a more-friendly utility (editor) or feature of RM comes along that allows handling of large cab sets, or even one that automatically places a chosen-default cab into Direct Profiles. So, I hope you're able to find the time to make a / some Studio ones.

I'd be interested to hear how your free effort compares to the $40 one, so if anyone's able to share a clip or his / her opinions, I'm all-ears. I'm not in the least up for the $40 Profile, but could use some context given the the fact that the thread blew up and was closed, and there's been no further effort on the part of the seller to justify the price here. The lack of follow-up it telling, IMHO.

Thank you, Webb!

No problem.

I'm curious how it compares to the $40 profile as well. I would love to hear what those who bought it think of this one. I have pretty thick skin so if you think my attempt sucks and not worth it even for free, please tell me. I promise I won't be offended.

• Nice dude. I really like the Cameron CCV stuff you've shared thus far. Never matched a different cab to a DI so this will be something new (and not cost $40? Win). Thanks, as always.

• Try Deadlight studios Marshal cab 1960Av brother (check my thread) .
    J has a sample profile to test (message him if you want) but just saying all this to be balanced
    So please dont kill me for the message :D

Good to see you doing things like this too!!
    THANK YOU!!!

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Try Deadlight studios Marshal cab 1960Av brother (check my thread) .

Which thread?

J has a sample profile to test (message him if you want) but just saying all this to be balanced
    So please dont kill me for the message

I keeeell you!!!

I'm sure the guy isn't interested in me after I was one of the most vocal skeptics before his thread got completely ransacked. His bogus asking price and justification thereafter put me off in a major way, too. His DI could be superior for all I know, but it's just a DI and only as good as the cab you match it with.

It would be interesting for someone with the "Official Mark Cameron" DI to post a comparison to this one using the same IR.

• Yeah your right J could of sold a lot of packs with our advice but <X
    thankfully it did contribute some thing as he is working on it based on our efforts ;)
    Here is the thread my Brah
    Aldrich profile Review

I have been having an extra beer for you since your not in oz
    Things i do, its hard work but some one has to spread the love :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I'd be interested to hear how your free effort compares to the $40 one, so if anyone's able to share a clip or his / her opinions, I'm all-ears.

Hi Moneky_Man, I do not have that mystical 40 USD Cameron DI profile but this sample I have recorded 2 weeks ago using one of Webb´s Cameron profiles.. if this can interest you.. it´s over MIDI backing track..

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi folks, and @Webb

I am a bit confused...

Would someone explain the significance of "Aldrich" and "Cameron", specifically as it relates to Marshall amps. I had assumed that both are names for amp technicians who have created specific mods to Marshall amps. However, what confuses me is the two names being used together (I think) as it relates to a specific Marshall amp. Then, I am further confused when I realize "Aldrich" could actually mean "Doug Aldrich", the guitarist for Whitesnake.

So, help me out here.

What is the significance or story behind: Marshall + "Cameron" + "Aldrich"? Moreover, what specific model Marshall amp are we talking about here (sorry if I missed this somewhere).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    John

• I like the sound of it. The default gain is maybe a tad bit too high and the only bad thing is it seems to get some digital artifacts like clipping sounds even when it's not clipping, could be my guitars or setup though??

• As quick and simple as I can explain it, 99% certain this is all correct (I think don't hold me to it) as I'm a keen modded Marshall enthusiast.

• Mark Cameron is an amp tech who used to work in a guitar shop in the USA, the shop purchased a lot of amps from Jose Arrendondo's sister I believe after his death that were left in his shop or uncollected by rock stars after he'd modded them. Mark had a keen interest in the 80's hot rodded Marshall tone of his heros. To him this was like finding a goldmine of great information. He opened up these amps to see what magic was in there and traced/remembered/learned what made it all work. One amp in particular was a Marshall with the badge missing with Atomica sprayed on the front which sounded to him and everyone who heard it as a holy grail of EVH/80's Marshall tone. The rumours were that this was an amp Eddie was working on with Jose before his death that was never finished. Other rumours were it belonged to an LA band called Atomica. But obviously the EVH connection and story makes it all the better haha.

• Jose Arredondo owned a shop called Arrco Electronics, which fixed electrical appliances like vancuum cleaners etc. He also modded and repaired amplifiers on the side.

• A little known guy called Eddie Van Halen was friends with Jose and had him service (or mod depending on what you believe) his Marshalls. To help Jose out he "leaked" in a guitar magazine that Jose tweaked his amps.....next thing you know, every LA guitarist is down at Arrco asking for their Marshall's modded.
      Typical Jose mods included:
    • Pre amp tweaking for more gain and tighter more modern gain structure
    • Diode clipping via zenner diodes or transistors
    • Post phase invertor master volume
    • Valve fx loops
    • Insert loops before the cathode follower to be able to act as an extra gain stage if you inserted something like a cranked Lexicon Rack unit in there.
    • Negatve Feedback tweaks
    • Extra master volume control with zenner diode clipping volume positioned before the tone stack rather the typical Marshall post tone stack pre phase invertor

• Mark Cameron then started to offer his own mods primarily based on Jose's work, giving guitarists the chance to obtain these tones again.

• Now to your actual question - I'm pretty certain the "Aldrich Mod" is a Marshall JCM/JMP circuit with the pre amp tweaked for more gain and a 4th gain stage added by doing away with the cathode follower and using that side of the 2nd pre amp valve for the 4th gain stage. No cathode follower anymore in the circuit it is now a plate driven tone network. It also has a resonance control added. What I'm not 100% certain on is if it used any diode clipping. If the base for the mod is a non master volume Marshall Super Lead like I'm certain Doug's was the gain stages will need to be cascaded and a master volume added making it basically a JMP Master Volume/JCM 800 amp with tweaks. It is supposed to sound half way between a Mesa and a Marshall.
      There are also John Suhr and Martin Golub versions of the Aldrich mod, which I believe is slightly different, which Doug has used at different times. I think Golub's version uses and extra valve for the forth gain stage and keeps the cathode follower intact although I couldn't swear by this at all.
  • Hi Moneky_Man, I do not have that mystical 40 USD Cameron DI profile but this sample I have recorded 2 weeks ago using one of Webb´s Cameron profiles.. if this can interest you.. it´s over MIDI backing track..

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's one of my CCV studio profiles. Thanks for sharing the clip...it sounds great.

• I like the sound of it. The default gain is maybe a tad bit too high and the only bad thing is it seems to get some digital artifacts like clipping sounds even when it's not clipping, could be my guitars or setup though??

I tried to match the gain level with the commercial profile. The amp sounds best with the gain cranked and it was super loud in the room when I was profiling so maybe I need to play with the return level. Having said that, I'm not really hearing any clipping here.

Try the new one I just uploaded and let me know if that sounds any better.

• Liam covered it much better than I could, but it is a Marshall mod that Doug Aldrich made famous with Dio and Whitesnake. Mark Cameron was one of a handful of amp builders to offer this mod. My particular amp is a Marshall JCM 800 that Mark modded.

I found the following description of the Aldrich mod on another forum:

Mark works the preamp section of the amp and steps up the gain quite a bit. Again, the amp has plenty of gain but without being harsh. Mark also adds a resonance control on the back of the amp that greatly affects the amount of Bass coming from the amp...It gives the amp More Punch and ooomph lol!! The sound coming from this mod is huge.