Cameron Aldrich DI Profile - Cab Added

• Wow, Liam...amazing write-up. Thank you for the background and history on this...much appreciated, mate. :thumbup:

• Liam covered it much better than I could, but it is a Marshall mod that Doug Aldrich made famous with Dio and Whitesnake. Mark Cameron was one of a handful of amp builders to offer this mod. My particular amp is a Marshall JCM 800 that Mark modded.
    I found the following description of the Aldrich mod on another forum:

Mark works the preamp section of the amp and steps up the gain quite a bit. Again, the amp has plenty of gain but without being harsh. Mark also adds a resonance control on the back of the amp that greatly affects the amount of Bass coming from the amp...It gives the amp More Punch and ooomph lol!! The sound coming from this mod is huge.

Thanks for the additional info., Webb.

• I probably need to get better at this but I tried a few different IR's from other profiles, including the one Ash suggested (from the merged Tonehammer profiles), and the low end is just too round for me. It's making me wish I had a traditional cab lying around to try and plug it in direct.

• Mkay, well try Sin's Friedman if you have it?? that was suggested in the other thread. :)
    If no good have fermented hops on hand for cool down :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I probably need to get better at this but I tried a few different IR's from other profiles, including the one Ash suggested (from the merged Tonehammer profiles), and the low end is just too round for me. It's making me wish I had a traditional cab lying around to try and plug it in direct.

MM, do you have Till Schleicher's CabLab pack?

Did you try it without the EQ? I like to boost the low end a bit when playing through a guitar cab to give it a little more punch, but usually disable the EQ when playing through FRFR. I'll add one of my cabinet profiles to the DI and post it in a few.

• Mkay, well try Sin's Friedman if you have it?? that was suggested in the other thread.

Unfortunately not. I don't have any IR's outside of profiles.

MM, do you have Till Schleicher's CabLab pack?

Negatory. The Kemper does cabs well enough that I've never been tempted by 3rd party IR's, plus I'm seeing issues where the conversion is less that savory.

Did you try it without the EQ? I like to boost the low end a bit when playing through a guitar cab to give it a little more punch, but usually disable the EQ when playing through FRFR. I'll add one of my cabinet profiles to the DI and post it in a few.

I don't think so. I'll check that later when I get home. Awesome dude, you're the shit.

• Negatory. The Kemper does cabs well enough that I've never been tempted by 3rd party IR's, plus I'm seeing issues where the conversion is less that savory.

Hi MM,

You may not be aware...

Till's CabLab are not IRs (impulse responses). They are actually Merged Profiles of 3 different 4x12 Cabinets (with different speakers) using various mics and mic positionings. There are 58 profiles in the pack. Since they are Kemper Merged Profiles, you can import them as Cabinet-only presets, in .kipr format. That is really the point of the pack...to be a pool of Cabinet presets which you can save in your KPA, and then mix and match to any of your favorite amp profiles.

Cheers,
    John

• There's both Till's CabLab, which are great:
    https://www.tillschleicher.com/tills-cablab/

And also his free pack, to get your feet wet:
    https://www.tillschleicher.com/tills-cab-pack-free/

All of these are kemper cab profiles, not converted IRs.

There may be something about the free ones not having gone through the "merge" process, so the kemper itself estimates where the amp stops and the cab starts - but if it sounds good, it is good, right?

If you like the ones from the free pack, buy the cablab pack to support the good work! :)

• Tried the new profile, low end was still too round. Put on the EQ and seemed to affect everything except the round low end.

Also imported some of Till's Cablab samples from his site to try these out but couldn't find them as selectable in the cab section. Even mined into the presets to try and figure out if they could be used as anything but presets but no luck. Ended up deleting them as it's too confusing (still no idea how in the hell to make use of them) and they weren't useable presets for me. Oh well.

• Anyone have a chance to try the one with the cabinet added?

Here's a quick (and by quick I mean QUICK) test mix using the Aldrich 5/7 T2 Marsh profile. 2 guitars left and right straight to the Kemper through the same profile with no post processing. Pretty much just put the levels up and bounced it out.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And here is an excerpt with guitars only...

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Tried the new profile, low end was still too round. Put on the EQ and seemed to affect everything except the round low end.

Also imported some of Till's Cablab samples from his site to try these out but couldn't find them as selectable in the cab section. Even mined into the presets to try and figure out if they could be used as anything but presets but no luck. Ended up deleting them as it's too confusing (still no idea how in the hell to make use of them) and they weren't useable presets for me. Oh well.

MM,

You import the cab preset .kipr files just like any other file, which you have downloaded and stored onto your USB flash drive.

Once imported, you pull up any amp profile, and then hit the CAB module to bring up the CAB menu. Once the CAB menu is displayed, turn the BROWSE knob. You should see then see all the available KPA CAB presets populate the screen, including the Till Schleischer Cab presets (provided you have successfully imported them).

Hope that helps. Give it another try. :)

Cheers,
    John