Cab sim off speaker out, on with main output

• noob question here.. but ive been searching and feel like im missing something!

i need to have the cab sim off for my speaker output going into my 2x12 cab for stage volume. But i want to have cab sim on for the main xlr outputs i want to plug into the FOH (Don't I?? right??).. How do I do that?

• noob question here.. but ive been searching and feel like im missing something!

i need to have the cab sim off for my speaker output going into my 2x12 cab for stage volume. But i want to have cab sim on for the main xlr outputs i want to plug into the FOH (Don't I?? right??).. How do I do that?

Hi Steve,

First, you read the KPA Reference Manual (page 32).

Sorry, I had to get that in. :P:D
    But seriously...read the manual. You will learn so much, trust me. :):thumbup:

You want to go into your powered KPA's OUTPUT Menu, and check the box for "Monitor Cab Off". Here is the relevant section from the Reference Manual:

-----------------------------------------------

Running a Guitar Speaker Cabinet by a Power Amplifier, “Monitor Cab Off”

For the perfect on-stage setup, the Profiler allows to simultaneously run a guitar speaker-cabinet through a power
    amp, and - at the same time - send a complete studio sound (amplifier plus cabinet and microphone) from the MAIN OUTPUTS to the front-of-house mixing desk. Since your guitar cabinet doesn’t need to be picked up via microphone any more, it becomes your personal monitor on stage. The MONITOR OUTPUT features an independent volume control, as well as a dedicated Monitor Output Equalizer in the Output Settings. These allow you to tailor the sound to your speaker cabinet, while the sound on the other outputs remain unaffected.

For this setup, you need to bypass the Cabinet Profile for the MONITOR OUTPUT, so as to avoid running a cabinet
    simulation through a physical cabinet. The soft button "Monitor Cab Off" in the Output Settings will bypass the Cabinet Profile for the MONITOR OUTPUT as well as the built-in power amp of PowerHead and PowerRack, while the Cabinet Profile stays active for the other outputs including the MAIN OUTPUTS. This is a global setting, and thus applied to all Rigs. However, the signal from the MONITOR OUTPUT is processed according to the kind of Profile included in the Rig: for regular Studio Profiles, the CabDriver algorithm is activated, whereas Merged Profiles feed the direct amp sound to the MONITOR OUTPUT and built-in power amp.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
    John

• Thanks! that is good info.. But I still have one question.. So i am pluggin my cabinet into the monitor out on the kemper now, and im not sure, but the volume does not get loud at all when using this setup.. How can i get around that? Thanks again!

• So if I plug my guitar cab into the speaker output of my Kemper, go to the output section and press “Monitor cab off” I’m done? Is that how I turn off the cab sim for the speaker out and leave it on for the xlr Main outs?

What confuses me is that if I do so the “cabinet” section of the profile I’m using still has an effect on the sound coming out of my guitar cab (for example the high shift or low shift in the soft button cab settings). Do I additionally have to press the soft button “cabinet” for every single profile I’m using in order to turn off the cab sim? Why do the cab settings still have an effect on the sound coming out of my guitar cab?

Thanks

• So if I plug my guitar cab into the speaker output of my Kemper, go to the output section and press “Monitor cab off” I’m done? Is that how I turn off the cab sim for the speaker out and leave it on for the xlr Main outs?

What confuses me is that if I do so the “cabinet” section of the profile I’m using still has an effect on the sound coming out of my guitar cab (for example the high shift or low shift in the soft button cab settings). Do I additionally have to press the soft button “cabinet” for every single profile I’m using in order to turn off the cab sim? Why do the cab settings still have an effect on the sound coming out of my guitar cab?

Thanks

To answer your first part...yes. Just toggle (check mark on) the Monitor Cab/Off option in the OUTPUT menu parameters.

As far as your second issue, I am not sure what is going on. If you have Monitor Cab/Off enabled, ALL settings associated with the Cabinet module will be defeated on the Monitor/Speaker Output. In other words, The "High Shift" and "Low Shift" parameters should be disabled, and even if you radically adjust these settings, it should have zero effect, presuming you have selected the Monitor Cab/Off setting and are connected to a guitar cabinet via the Speaker Output (or Monitor Output) jack.

Perhaps Kemper Support #1 can advise on this matter.

• To answer your first part...yes. Just toggle (check mark on) the Monitor Cab/Off option in the OUTPUT menu parameters.

As far as your second issue, I am not sure what is going on. If you have Monitor Cab/Off enabled, ALL settings associated with the Cabinet module will be defeated on the Monitor/Speaker Output. In other words, The "High Shift" and "Low Shift" parameters should be disabled, and even if you radically adjust these settings, it should have zero effect, presuming you have selected the Monitor Cab/Off setting and are connected to a guitar cabinet via the Speaker Output (or Monitor Output) jack.

I think there was a thread previously which said there was a bug that caused the cab off to not work properly but that the cause had been identified and would be fixed in a future OS update.

• To answer your first part...yes. Just toggle (check mark on) the Monitor Cab/Off option in the OUTPUT menu parameters.

Thank you guys for answering so quickly.

I spoke with the guys from Kemper on the phone and they told me that the cabinet module still has an effect on the sound even with my setup (with only a guitar cab plugged in via the speaker out and the Monitor Cab/Off enabled), because the cab module is never turned off 100%. If you have a regular studio profile the KPA tries to identify which part of the profile originates from the profiled speaker and microphone and cuts that part out (via the so called CabDriver algorithm) if you enable the Monitor Cab/Off (at least for the signal coming out of the speaker out). Of course the KPA cannot do that perfectly right (because the studio profile does not seperate amplifier, cab and microphone by itself). That's what they told me on the phone, I hope that makes sense. They also told me that that is part of the reason that they came up with merged profiles (and direct profiles too), so the KPA can seperate cab-module/microphone and amplifier-module perfectly.

I should try the same thing with merged profiles, I'm wondering if the cab module still has an effect on the sound in that case. That's one thing I forgot to ask haha :D