Stevie Ray Vaughan Tone - Axe Fx II XL+ vs. Kemper

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stevie Ray Vaughan tone (Pride and Joy) - Kemper
    SRV - Pride and Joy tone
    Fender Stratocaster YJM (Van Zandt p.u.)
    Kemper profiling amplifier (GRStudios Fender Super Reverb modified profile + Mbritt cab)
    Ibanez TS808 (booster)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I do not write much on the forum, so I will try to share my experiences with the KPA. I'm sorry if I spend a little time. I hope not to bore you with topics already widely discussed on this forum.

I have found many good profiles for very saturated and distorted sounds, while, apart from some rare exceptions (eg Mbritt, Bert Meulendijk, TAF), I am not very satisfied with the commercial profiles that reproduce the sound typically fender .... perhaps because less required on the market.

I really love the Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds. Since I use the Kpa (2014), I have tried hundreds rigs. My toaster has almost exclusively sounds called SRV :D . In these years I have tried to improve this particular sound experimenting various amp or cab, trying IR, using both commercial and free profiling (RM).

At the same time, I listened to many audio tracks of SRV (studio and live) trying, simultaneously, to find correspondences through the coupling of various amp, speakers, equalizations and effects.

During live performances, I think Stevie has not always used the same amp, the same pickups, the same guitar, the same pedals, so I looked for a synthesis based on my personal taste. For example, I think that during some live performances of "Texas flood" Stevie used the Vibratone (leslie cab used on Cold Shot) and n. 2 TS, while in the studio version I think SRV used only n. 1 TS (set as boost). When I finish my research and experimentation work on the Texas flood tone, I will let you hear the result to get your opinions. I will have to make a synthesis between 4 profiles that I have already assembled and customized by listening to texas flood in various contexts (live and studio). Personally I am very satisfied with the dynamic and sustain performance of these 4 profiles. The only limit I have encountered are the overdrives in the KPA that I do not think can be a valid alternative to my TS808 pedal.

At the same time I'm also working on more modern blues sounds (for Fender and Gibson guitars pickups): eg. John Mayer, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Matt Schofield, Joe Bonamassa.

Thanks for the patient reading! :)

• Thanks for your work. Please share your rigs if they are free.

My profiles are only partially free, because I use MBritt cab. At the end of my work I will try to replace this cab with others free on rigmanager and if the result will be equally satisfying, then I will share it here.

• My profiles are only partially free, because I use MBritt cab. At the end of my work I will try to replace this cab with others free on rigmanager and if the result will be equally satisfying, then I will share it here.

Please let us know which MBritt cab you used since some of us already bought many MBritt profiles.

• PayPal sent :)

Would love to get some ODS profiles.
    mbritt D-Pack ist very good.

Thanks for your work!

• your playing is also very good, can't wait for some profiles.

Thank you Bill, you are too courteous. I think that my next Texas flood profiles are better....a bit more SRV tone. when I will be satisfied enough, I will share here a test for your opinions

• Looking foreward to your SRV profiles, you quite nailed Stevie's tone in your videos!

Thank you! However, my profiles could change a lot if played with a different guitar. For example, on my other stratocaster (pickups custom shop), the sound changes a lot. In this case, it may be useful to work individually on your own equalization.
    Kemper is really a very surprising tool for me, but I will never be able to replicate the 100% SRV sound because I do not have his magic hand :)

• Thank you! However, my profiles could change a lot if played with a different guitar. For example, on my other stratocaster (pickups custom shop), the sound changes a lot. In this case, it may be useful to work individually on your own equalization.Kemper is really a very surprising tool for me, but I will never be able to replicate the 100% SRV sound because I do not have his magic hand :)

Yes, of course the the sound changes a lot according to the guitar you plug in. And as you said, I lack Stevie's magic hands and also can't play on .013 gauge strings ;) Still: can't wait to check out your profiles!

• Marcus, I listened to the "Continuum" pack demos and I appreciated the clean sounds. It would be interesting, considering your experience, if you are profiling some amp that reproduces the typical texas blues sound of stevie ray vaughan. ;)

• Here's another one:

Kick ASS tone, and awesome improvisation, IMHO.

External Content www.youtube.com

I prefer this sound much over the one of the AxeFX, much more warmth and liveliness.

• I played this little video test with a Tone Junkie profile and the kemper "rotary leslie" effect. The result seems to me quite satisfactory even if AXE-fx perhaps has more advanced rotovibe effects.

SRV - Cold Shot

The Phase Vibe in the KPA does an ok job, if you know how to set it up. It's just missing some of the wobble that the Uni/Rotovibe had (the model in the Helix is the best digital emulation I've heard).