Rig Manager, Import folder structure

• I have a quite extensive collection of profiles, and I like to keep them organized by amp brand / model, so I have a few folders / subfolders

When importing the profiles to the Rig Manager, it looks like it ignores the folders and just import whatever is inside the root.

Is there any way to overcome this limitation (other than manually creating the folders within the rig manager and drag n dropping the rigs inside them)

I have tried to look into the Rig Manager own library files but it looks like the SW is not using a plain folder hierarchy, but instead it is creating a single db file which cannot be browsed / modified directly.

Cheers,

• AFAIK, there's no way to overcome this "limitation", everasia.

You might as well do what I do, which is create folders to reflect the same hierarchy that I use to store Profiles on my 'puter.

Once you've done this, there'll be minimal work involved to add subsequent folders as you acquire new Profiles; it's just that initial task of getting things set up that'll take some effort.

• Thnx MonkeyMan,
    I was struggeling with the same question as everasia and ended up with your suggestion as a possible workaround.
    Good to have it confirmed. Now I will concentrate my efforts in building a folder hierarchy instead of spending time on searching for solutions.

Kristian

Gibson Les Paul Std Brimstone, Fender American Elite Stratocaster, Gibson Blueshawk, Yamaha APX5, Epiphone 335 Dot
    Kemper Head & Remote, RedSound powered cab, Line6 Relay G10, TC Helicon VoiceLive 3

• You can copy profiles from explorer (Windows) or finder (MAC) and paste into Rig Manager.......

I extract my profiles onto my computer as they usually come in a compressed file (zip, rar etc)

Create folders on my computer to organise my profiles.

Copy and then paste the profiles into the folders on my computer

I create my folder structure in Rig Manager

Copy the the profiles I want to import to a particular folder from Finder(mac) or Windows Explorer (only profiles not folders)

Select the folder I want to paste into in Rig Manager

Paste profiles into the Rig Manager folder right hand pane.

If you're starting from scratch and have lots of profiles it may take a while but I've always done it this way, so only need to do it with any new profiles I acquire.

Hope this helps if not feel free to ignore. :thumbup:

P.

Edited once, last by P3t3rB ().

• Ha! This is exactly what I said, Peter:

You might as well do what I do, which is create folders to reflect the same hierarchy that I use to store Profiles on my 'puter.

Once you've done this, there'll be minimal work involved to add subsequent folders as you acquire new Profiles; it's just that initial task of getting things set up that'll take some effort.

• Hehe, sorry Nicky, but I didn't think you'd explained about importing into rig manager.

I'll fall back on the excuse of being an old fart who's mind isn't what it used to be! LOL.

P.

• Thnx for the clarification P3t3rB,
    I started building the hierarchy in RM, mirroring the folder structure on the HDD, but then used the RM import feature in every RM folder.
    Copy/Paste is a much faster way with two windows side by side, and a better overview as well.
    A time saving advice.

Kristian

Gibson Les Paul Std Brimstone, Fender American Elite Stratocaster, Gibson Blueshawk, Yamaha APX5, Epiphone 335 Dot
    Kemper Head & Remote, RedSound powered cab, Line6 Relay G10, TC Helicon VoiceLive 3

• Hi guys,

I do have folders on my comp and RM local library and I might have a silly question here.

Often I see my self scrolling and scrolling on the KPA when RM can't be used and a particular performance hasn't been created yet.

Will the KPA be able to see the folder structure if I drag the folder itself or will it see just the content?

I appreciate your thoughts cheers.

Music is Key.

• Yeah, you can't drag folders anywhere within the RM app, unfortunately, and even if you could, the KPA doesn't handle folders, only metadata-differentiated Rig groups based certain flavours such as "Favourites" and "Bass".

Hehe, sorry Nicky, but I didn't think you'd explained about importing into rig manager.

I'll fall back on the excuse of being an old fart who's mind isn't what it used to be! LOL.

Well, I reckon your post would've been valuable to anyone who wasn't up-to-speed with folder-handling in RM, Peter, so thank you, mate!

• It makes proprietary-formatted copies, SB.

They're stored within database "containers" in Kemper's Application Support folder on the Mac; I can't speak for PC.

Kemper has asked us to not mess with this folder 'though, so if you want to backup RM, I'd suggest doing what I and many others do - use the drop-down menu to store a backup file of RM's entire contents, and supplement that with manual dragging of Rigs from the app to appropriately-named folders on your 'puter, zipping them up thereafter. I do it en-mass, meaning that after everything's been dragged to folders that reflect what's in RM, I zip that up, date it and store it.

I keep only the latest 3 saves in the interest of preserving disk space.

• there are a number of People who have thausends of profiles and would like to orga ize them well in RM AND compu ... so we need to import and export file and directoty structures in RM AND OUT RM
    .. . Much more important than another new delay!!!

• I think that for organizing things, a folder tree is an old-fashioned, inferior solution. Rigs have lots of properties like amp brand, model, cab, style, gain, author, etc. etc. If you attempt to organize that with folders, you might end up with putting the same rig into different folders.

Tags are a better solution in my opinion. And both the KPA and the RM are ready for that. Search/order by those tags and finding a rig is matter of seconds. The favourite flag has a similar purpose.

That said, I do use folders in the RM, for different rig or performance collections that purposely contain copies of the same items, like

• live performances folder
    • studio rigs folder
    • try out next rigs folder

etc.

francisco jent - 2 powered toasters & 1 remote

• Tags are a better solution in my opinion. And both the KPA and the RM are ready for that. Search/order by those tags and finding a rig is matter of seconds. The favourite flag has a similar purpose.

The problem is that i have yet to see a commercial profile where the tags have all been correctly filled. Most of the time they are missing or worse, completely wrong (seen much too frequently).
    You could in theory fill them yourself, but that's a lot of work, and Rig Manager or the Kemper are not very practical for such work.