Eventide H9 - Effect Pedals (Keeping Both Stereo input and Stereo Output)

• I am considering purchasing an Eventide H9 Max. I want to be able to keep all internal Kemper Effects routing through the pedal, keeping everything stereo all the way though the Kemper. As I understand it, lets say I want to use a Kemper Stereo Effect, lets say Delay, before Kemper can route that stereo signal to the Effect Send on the back of the Kemper, it converts is to Mono, which would mean that the delay signal feeding the H9 as an example would be mono, leaving the only stereo signal of the H9 being the only true stereo effect.

If I were doing this with traditional effect pedals, say a Delay Pedal and and an H9, I would go L/R out of the delay Pedal, into L/R Input on the H9, then L/R out of the H9 into the next source, if its an amp, it would be two separate amps inputs.

Does the Kemper actually have a Stereo Effect Send as well as a Stereo Effects Return. From what I've read/watched, it has a Stereo Return, but only a Mono send. I get that If I place the H9 as the first effect, it will be stereo throughout, but I will not always want that.

Does my question make sense?

• That is the case. I have made a feature request with title Stereo send to Stereo loop, in which I requested an opportunity to use Monitor output as a second output for the loop. I guess that option could be simple enough to add, but for now we're stuck with e.g. mono delays from Kemper if we place our loop after that :(

• Kemper's effect quality is on par with H9. But of course both have their own sound. Kemper's effects are more subtle in a way. Pitch shifting is more natural in Kemper. If the (possibly) upcoming reverbs are as good as the new delays it's possible I sell my H9 if I need money... though I love some algorithms, especially space algorithms, and of course there's the fact that H9 editor is excellent: it's easy and fun to experiment with effects on your computer screen.

• I have an H9 and use it this way:
    Just mono in the x slot. It sounds glorious, but I use it less these days since the new Kemper delays. If I understand how it would work, if I used it in stereo (with one of those y cables needed of course) is that the subsequent mod, delay, and reverb slots on the Kemper would take the stereo from the X slot where the H9 is and it would work perfectly.
    Here's why the X slot is the perfect location for the H9. If you are using some of it's modulation effects, then the best location for the mod effects would be prior to the Kemper's delays and reverbs, but after the amp. If you're using the H9 Delays, then they are still behind the Kemper's delay and reverb. Granted, if you wanted to use Kemper modulations prior to the H9 delays and verbs, you'd probably want them before it, which would mean before the amp block if using the H9 in the X slot, and then modulations feeding into the amp and then into the H9 would be in mono, but the H9 would still spit out it's stereo imaging of whatever algorithm your using. And at that point, would it really make a huge difference, since you're probably using the H9 for the most dominant part of the effect anyway? While the H9 is capable of everything from subtle to extreme, I tend to save it for the extreme stuff and let the Kemper handle the subtle stuff. Since most of the H9's reverb, delay, and even their pitch stuff is already a combination of many effects including the modulation realm, which are ambient enough on their own, I'n not wanting or needing to add any additional mod, delay, reverb or pitch from the Kemper.
    The real benefit of having a versatile preset capable multi-effect pedal independent of the Kemper is that it gives you the ability to quickly access dozens of different effects and quickly utilize them all within a single Kemper Rig, vs having to create numerous identical rigs, all so you can use the same basic sound with 12 different delay presets, for example.

• There's no benefit using y-cable, since feed to effects loop is still mono. But everything else Grooguit said is true: basically I miss stereo feed to effects loop is when I want to use H9's fancy reverbs and would like to have some stereo delays etc fed to it. But that's the only drawback and it's not a deal breaker: H9 still introduces lots of versatile sounds in an easy format. They are inspiring and give new ideas (not only because they sound good but because they're easy to handle with editor including lots of presets). Especially if you can find Max used at a decent price, like I did, I would totally recommend it. If you find out you don't need it you can still easily sell it without losing money.

• There's no benefit using y-cable, since feed to effects loop is still mono. But everything else Grooguit said is true: basically I miss stereo feed to effects loop is when I want to use H9's fancy reverbs and would like to have some stereo delays etc fed to it. But that's the only drawback and it's not a deal breaker: H9 still introduces lots of versatile sounds in an easy format. They are inspiring and give new ideas (not only because they sound good but because they're easy to handle with editor including lots of presets). Especially if you can find Max used at a decent price, like I did, I would totally recommend it. If you find out you don't need it you can still easily sell it without losing money.

And that's the reason a lot of folks are hoping that Kemper does for reverbs what they did for delay. For example if you used on other their new fancy delays and wanted to run it through a simple spring reverb, you can't. Even if you own something that does fancy reverbs like the H9, you can't send stereo delays from the Kemper to it. I'm wondering if it's even physically possible for the effects send to be stereo. For example, if it is just a TS jack and not TRS, no firmware upgrade from Kemper could make the send jack stereo. Now what we could do, is buy a second H9 and we'd just need the $400 core one as you could upgrade it to max for free if you already own one max. Then you could send stereo delays from the one H9 to the other H9 and process it with stereo reverbs and then back in to the Kemper returns. Plus then you could also toggle H9 presets between the two H9s and have spillover. With one H9 you lose your spilloever when changing its presets.

• I believe it's TS jack, that's why I feature-requested that they would introduce an opportunity to use Monitor output as the second feed to stereo loop.
    The thought of buying H9 Core has indeed crossed my mind, but I'll guess I will wait for a while... though I didn't realize the spillover opportunity! That would be nice to have, too.

• Reading all of this, I'm not sure now I made a good decision to by the H9. I have an H9 Max on the way, based on this, sounds like it would make more sense to return it since the Kemper's delays and reverbs are on par with the H9. I'm not a heavy effects guy anyway, however, I do enjoy quality as most so I was thinking that the H9 had Delays and Reverbs on a whole other level, but sounds like that just isn't the case.

Baded on my points above, do you agree, its most likely redundant for me?

• Reading all of this, I'm not sure now I made a good decision to by the H9. I have an H9 Max on the way, based on this, sounds like it would make more sense to return it since the Kemper's delays and reverbs are on par with the H9. I'm not a heavy effects guy anyway, however, I do enjoy quality as most so I was thinking that the H9 had Delays and Reverbs on a whole other level, but sounds like that just isn't the case.

Baded on my points above, do you agree, its most likely redundant for me?

Barry, just spend some time with the H9 for the fun of it. You may enjoy it more than messing around with the effects on Kemper. I bought an H9 max and messed around with it a bit. It was really easy to get good delay and reverb sounds out of it. What I struggled with was the routing, sending cables to and from my Kemper head, its just messy and felt like a lot of work every time i was setting up my rig. And then I could not put the H9 in the reverb slot to use it only for reverb and put Kemper delays in front. Kemper does not allow you to change the Reverb slot to anything but their reverbs. In this case it was unpractical for me, especially after the new delays came out, they are pretty good and you can get good ambient sounds from them which i was looking for. In the end I sold it because I never used it. I have a Helix on the way though, the routing on that is is much easier and it's all on the floor, so it would be easier for me to just set up an H9 on a pedal board and be done with it, sooooo... maybe I will get an H9 again someday. We shall see...

• Reading all of this, I'm not sure now I made a good decision to by the H9.

I think you made a great decision :D

When I said that they're on par I meant that regarding those effects that Kemper provides they're on par (well matter of taste). But both provide different things in different color. I personally use H9 in almost every rig for something, and I will sell it only if I really have to: I have had it about nine months and I still enjoy its sound when I'm playing at home in the dark room and it's raining outside and all seems to go to hell and I dial in that Blackhole algorithm and it doesn't matter that I'm too drunk to play but it still sounds comforting and awesome. It's incredibly versatile unit. But like KPA_Leader said, you have to see it for yourself

• So I got the H9 on Friday, to audition it in full stereo with the Kemper I decided to create a stereo hardware insert on my Protools HD system, bringing the Kemper in via SPDIF Stereo to a track and then place the H9 as a Hardware Insert on the track.

The H9 is very good, but I have to say, so are the Kemper effects! There were, as expected, a handful of effects that were clearly a step a head of the Kemper, but honestly, not enough to justify the cost of the H9.

If I were still in the primary real amp world, the H9 would be a no-brainer, actually, I'd buy 2 of them. Since I am a studio guy, the H9 is being returned.