how to get the best sound out of the kemper

• (Nessun oggetto)

MP
    marco papi
    [Blocked Image: https://cdn1.evernote.com/outlook/v1.6.3/images/app-icon.png]
    Rispondi|Oggi, 11.58
    Te

Hello everybody!
    I recently bought a kemper amp and I'm really happy with it so far , I'm having a bit of a concern about my recording process though and the solution may be in the kemper (or most possibly into my lack of knowledge about recording in general ).
    I'll try to explain this as the best as I can (I'm not English mother tongue so I'll try my best )

Guitar into kemper , kemper into focusrite 2i4 (through 2 xlr cables) focusrite into iMac ,recording with Logic Pro.

first of all I set the output master volume of my kemper to have a good but not too hot signal out (-20 db master out) I set the focusrite's knobs just below the clipping level and start recording , so far so good .
    Everything sounds good to me but whenever I open the EQ the guitar level seems quite high , especially high notes reach peaks between +6 +9 DB ,I saw videos on YouTube and noticed ppl usually have an even signal which is pretty much just below the 0 Db threshold .
    I can off course low the highs with the Eq itself but I guess it wouldn't be the best solution .
    If I decrease further the master volume of the kemper I have lower highs but then I need to boost my lows so it's not ideal either .

I'm probably making probs out of nowhere as the signal never clips either in the kemper nor in the Scarlett , but my concern is , even if it doesn't clip would those 6/8 Db sound a bit harsh to human ears?Please note that I have this prob mostly during solos when I want to have high notes to sound loud but with a smooth end at the same time

So long story short :D
    If I decrease the gain to stay below the 0db threshold the sound is too tiny and I feel like I'm
    not using the kemper as the best of its potential. If I increase the gain it sound good but maybe too harsh on high notes.

I m sure you guys have a better recording knowledge than me and could maybe help me out with this.

Ps: I play a standard Gipson les Paul (2 humbuckers pick up)

Thank you
    Marco

• unfortunately my audio interface doesn't have spdif . The video on you tube i was talking about uses xlr like me but the level seems more linear. Could the type of xlr cable makes any difference balance?unbalance? i don't know anything about these things tbh

• @marcozzz

The XLR inputs on your 2i4 are designed for microphone-level signals, at the moment you're running the signal from the Kemper through the full microphone preamp stage. The signal coming out of the Kemper is at line level, you should therefore connect to the 2i4 using a 1/4 inch jack connection with the switch on the front of the 2i4 set to 'Line'.

I hope this helps!

Jack // Focusrite Technical Support

• thats exactly what i do , the focusrite is set into line on both input but still have the same problem, i start thinking it may be the guitar itself, maybe too high pick ups or something like that, ill try to set it up and see if it fixes

• I use the exact same setup, except reaper instead or logic.

I've never noticed a high end dB gain though, but I don't use logic as I said.

I take it your opening the eq in logic and you have a boost. I can't see what could be causing the boost.

Where's the kemper volume set ? Could you back off the volume and raise the master volume ??

Are u getting the same result with different profiles ???

• I have a plug in EQ , happen pretty much with every profile to have an ok signal till the 1k frequencies then the signal boost up to 6/9 db on highs , the volume on kemper is set to 12 o'clock the master out to -20 decibels in order to bring the highs below the 0 db threshold i really need to cut the gain a lot (and obviously the sound its quite crap if i do so :D)

• Does changing amps or cabs make no difference ???
    Maybe it is a pickup issue.
    I can't say weather I have the same issue because I havnt got the eq plug in.

Maybe drop the treble side of your pickup slightly and see what effect it has.

• @marcozzz

In your initial post, you mentioned your connection path is: 'Guitar into kemper , kemper into focusrite 2i4 (through 2 xlr cables)'

As mentioned in my previous post, you should NOT use an XLR connection to connect the Kemper to the 2i4 - doing this will activate the mic preamp circuit in the 2i4. You should ensure that the connection to the 2i4 is a 1/4 inch jack connection to engage the 'Line' circuit instead (you can use an XLR to 1/4 inch jack cable if you're using the XLR outs on the Kemper).

Best,
    Jack

• @JackFocusrite

sorry i actually wrote it wrong ,
    on the back of the kemper i have connected 2 1/4 cables (1 left/1right) which both goes into the focusrite as XLR (male end) and the focusrite is set to line .

Im a bit of a noob about this things (as u can tell :D) so what you are saying is that i should do the opposite ?!
    i should connect an XLR on the back of the kemper and the 1/4 in the focusrite ?
    would it make any difference at this stage to go 1/4 both ways?( normal guitar jack i mean)

thanks for your help!

• From the Focusrite manual:

Note the Scarlett 2i4 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automaticallyconfigured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument whenyou connect a jack plug. Set the LINE/INST switch next to the socket to INST if you are connectingmusical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole guitar jack, or to LINE if you areconnecting a line level source such as the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole(TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both types of jack plug.

Aside: I'll never understand the 'jack plug' term. Is it a jack or a plug?? Jack=female plug=male in my book.

• @marcozzz

You can either go from XLR on the back of the Kemper to 1/4 inch on the Scarlett, or just go 1/4 inch from the back of the Kemper to 1/4 inch on the Scarlett - the important point is to NOT connect anything over XLR to the Scarlett unless it's a microphone.

Best,
    Jack

• Would this be the same with the Zoom UAC-2? I'm in the same boat, using xlr and having it be loud in Reaper even though there's no clipping indicated by the Zoom.

From their site:

• Two combo balanced XLR/TRS input connectors accept both mic- and line-level signal