Kemper alternative for rehearsal/live backup?

• I have my Kemper at home, but I will start using it live as well.
    But I wont lug it around to rehearsal every time, so I need something else in rehearsal.

Right now I'm just playing through a lined Boss GT-100, but I'm gonna sell that.
    I have a EVH 5150 50 watt I will sell too, I have never really used it, so that was a big waste of money...

The new amp has to be:

1. Rackmount digital amp
    2. Built-in effects
    3. Be able to switch channels with the same midi switch I will use for Kemper (a Tech 21 Mongoose)

Any ideas what I can look for?

I really cannot afford to get another Kemper, even tho that would be ideal :love:

• Axe-FX Standard maybe? Shouldn't be too expensive and still sounds very good. Or have a look on the gsp 1101. What's your budget?

OR: Helix LT.... yeah it's not rack mount but you could control the Kemper with it, also has some very nice effects :) I use my Kemper in 4 cable method with the LT ... very happy.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Agreed on the Helix LT.
    You can take into consideration an Amplifire 3 if you don't need too many FX.

@mDan: I was thinking to a similar setup too. Is the Helix LT transparent? Don't you feel it is too much bulky if compared to the remote? Are you always using it with IEMs?

• Agreed on the Helix LT.
    You can take into consideration an Amplifire 3 if you don't need too many FX.

@mDan: I was thinking to a similar setup too. Is the Helix LT transparent? Don't you feel it is too much bulky if compared to the remote? Are you always using it with IEMs?

I've got an Atomic AmpliFIRE on the way to be used as my live KPA backup. Should be here by the end of the week. I did loads of research on many options (everything from a used AxeFx rack, to a Zoom G3n) and for me, the AmpliFIRE came out the winner. I know @Cederick mentioned wanting rackmount (which the amplifire technically isnt) but it is small and should easily fit in a 2u rack.

Anyways, what I liked about it was:

• Amps sound amazing
    • Easily updated and many commercial packs/IR's/Patches available (Mbritt, Ampfactory etc)
    • Has great sounding effects built in
    • Small - (as a backup this was important. It fits in my guitar bag).
    • Versatile - has its own switches so it can be used independently for practice etc,
    • Will be supported for a good while - Atomic only just released a 12 button version which uses the exact same DSP chips etc and AA have stated model development, FW updates, feature improvements etc are not slowing down.
    • Can be found used for around $450
    • Fully Midi capable for expanded pedals control etc. Easy to implement with the -
    • Full featured PC editor!! (*cough cough.. Kemper)

Atomic are releasing a super small pedal called the Amplifire-box any day now. Basically a stripped down AmpliFIRE in a stompbox size enclosure, with less effects and buttons. Apparently it'll sell for $299 and it looks pretty damn sweet. I wanted more buttons though and needed the delay fx, so I i went with the amplifire.

Honestly, I was actually pretty close to just getting the Zoom G3 ($149! :) ) but found an AA for a good price and pounced on it. IMO, a much better purchase in the long run.

• Axe-FX Standard maybe? Shouldn't be too expensive and still sounds very good. Or have a look on the gsp 1101. What's your budget?

OR: Helix LT.... yeah it's not rack mount but you could control the Kemper with it, also has some very nice effects :) I use my Kemper in 4 cable method with the LT ... very happy.

I do NOT want a big pedalboard.

Thats why I'm selling my Boss GT-100.

For channel switching I only need 5 buttons like Tech 21 Mongoose (which I will buy very soon)

I will never use a "wah pedal" so that would be a waste of space.

http://2ap6ndle7dn3hxy4u3p0d58…ces-the-MIDI-Mongoose.jpg

HOWEVER

GSP1101 looks like a good alternative, I like that it's only 1 rackspace too.
    Thanks for the tip! I will look up some info about it :)

• The GPS1101 can load IRs with a special FW version ... that makes a huge impact on sound, sounds really good (not as good as the top tier modellers... but well... more than enough as a backup). Also nice that it's just 1 rackspace. Another option: Eleven Rack ... very cheap used, sounds decent!

@Jimmyno: Very happy with the combination, Helix LT sounds very transparent, have the KPA in one loop and the Source Audio Nemesis in the other loop. It's actually not thaaat much bigger then Remote + Expression Pedal. But I'm not a big fan of the remote so I might be biased ... :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• The GPS1101 can load IRs with a special FW version ... that makes a huge impact on sound, sounds really good (not as good as the top tier modellers... but well... more than enough as a backup). Also nice that it's just 1 rackspace. Another option: Eleven Rack ... very cheap used, sounds decent!

@Jimmyno: Very happy with the combination, Helix LT sounds very transparent, have the KPA in one loop and the Source Audio Nemesis in the other loop. It's actually not thaaat much bigger then Remote + Expression Pedal. But I'm not a big fan of the remote so I might be biased ... :D

After research, I wont bother iwth ElevenRack because of "Avid stuff" I have read a lot about.

The Digitech I haven't heard anything like that.
    And yeah, I might install the special FW.

Actually,.. No offense to Kemper, but I might actually use the GSP as my main live unit.
    Kemper is for me a very expensive unit and metal gigs can be sort of intense (not as much as punk tho 8o ) but I'm not sure I can risk my Kemper in a live setting.

However one of my bands will headline a fairly big festival in a couple of months, so the stage will be pretty big and no risk of fans jumping on stage going wild hhaha. So I might use Kemper for big gigs, and Digitech for smaller... Ah, I have no idea, I'm just thinking loudly right now... :rolleyes:

• Hmm I would say bias and iPad but then you would need a cab(and vodka :D )...what speaker will you use is that already there ?

Best compact digital for me is bias...but then Again I run that through may stereo mission FRFR
    Bias can get tasty when loud just saying. I use bias with the my MK multimedia blue board compact as man and I have switching via Bluetooth , bias mission cab and BlueBoard....loud but compact

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• This looks interesting. with less then 10 Kg. Controlled also by mobile phone or tablet.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mustang_gt_100.htm

Holy cow does the Fender GT sound BAD!!!! Like, horribly bad.

I had a Peavey Vypyr a couple of years ago and it was actually pretty good!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Now, I'm of course not getting a Peavey Vypyr, but if you haven't listened to the Fender GT... stay away from it hahahaha
    (well, at least for metal tones I guess, have no idea how it sounds for cleans, but I dont care about that)

• Holy cow does the Fender GT sound BAD!!!! Like, horribly bad.

You're not kidding, man. Wow.

I was going to make excuses for Fender and say that maybe the cleans and crunch are OK, but then I remembered that they made the EVH amps, so Peavey and Fender have both produced analogue 51/50-style amps. No excuse!

• @Cederick[/url] mentioned wanting rackmount (which the amplifire technically isnt) but it is small and should easily fit in a 2u rack.

I received the Atomic AmplifFire 3 the other day and just wanted to follow up to say it doesn't fit in my (very full) rack quite as nicely as I had hoped so it just going to live in the front pocket my guitar case. Really love that it has footswitches on it. Even if for some reason absolutely everything my KPA rig stops working, I'm still good and could do a show no problem. No need for the KPA at every practice either now. Guitar case and done. The perfect backup pedal IMO.

Seriously surprised with how good it sounds tbh (loaded the Mbritt patch pack). Some of its tones are right up there with my KPA favorites!