Ronson sound

• I'm after this particular grind sound which comes in at 2.55 on the video.
    I've got close but I would like exact. I can get exact using Ozone as an insert post recording but would dearly love a profile.
    I've tried Ozone on the mic when profiling but it's not a huge success for me.
    Has anybody come across a profile that will get me near as dammit? It's almost an extreme sort of eq going on
    (which I've fiddled with until my ears cant tell the difference between a fly or a truck going past)
    Thanks fellers. :wacko:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Are you using a similar tele, or are you also EQing for a different guitar? Is that a stacked humbucker with a rail magnet at the bridge?

For the original sound on the records, he says he used an LP and a Crybaby pedal, set to a specific frequency. Have you tried modifying the the KPA Crybaby preset to give you a fixed midrange boost?

• Hi Paul, LP mainly but tried a Strat and an old SC Ibanez from 1983.
    I know he's using a Tele there but I've seen other stuff with Ronno playing his beloved LP and getting the same sound.
    It seems to be a 70's sound thing (Whole lotta love isn't too dissimilar) but whether it's the amp, treble booster or whatever I dunno.
    His big trick was to use a cry baby and leave it on a certain position but it aint that in this case.

• Your probably right mate but (to my ears) this the same tone, different levels of distortion etc but essentially the same mid range gargle.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Could be. I'm wondering whether it's something really simple like a treble booster, I had one meself back in the day.
    I'm happy to pay for a commercial profile to save me the hassle of being dissatisfied, just haven't heard it as yet.
    Thanks for the help, if you come across anything similar in your travels give me a shout.
    Woof!

• Fuzz, fuzz is your friend. Also the order of effects is often the opposite way around from the "correct" studio way, e,g, if there's chorus it can be before distortion rather than after, stuff like that. You have to be experimental with your affects to get towards those sounds, sometimes they even drove a desk preamp directly pushing it into distortion.

• Out of interest here is :
    A: The original Ronson sound from the interview
    B: Me + Ozone tonematch (close but not perfect)
    C: Me with no tonematch

External Content soundcloud.com

• Ozone will get you so far, but you need some room verb, TBH it's 99% the actual room. Ronsons sound is kinda like a cassette recording of a small speaker in a room and a lot of his own guitar acoustic noise, not to mention the stereo image (most of the sound seems to be to the right, most of the room sound on the left). Otherwise good effort.