Elmwood Profiles / Far field / Medium field

• Just finished my Elmwood profiles.

I own a nice sounding Elmwood Modena M60 with the Elmwood 4x12" cabinet.

This cab sounds very good - very different from other 4x12" IMHO.

The sound was not this easy to be captured - close miking did not work at all - it sounded not even close to the great sound of the 4x12 "in the room".

So I experimented and found that a distance of about 1meter works fine.
    But then was the level of my microphone this low that I had to boost it with the KPA 'Return Level' - which leads to the well known 'loud / distorted' profiles (bug). So I used a mic-preamp and now all is fine.

I don't now if all here are doing close miking or far field / medium field as well.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Sounds very interesting. Especially that distance miking. Can you post a sound sample?

• Yes, the Elmwood has a special sound regardless of the settings - if you like it than you'll hear 'This is an Elmwood'.

Here is a short demo of all profiles:
    http://soundcloud.com/ahha/elm-profiles

I use a Jem guitar Bridge PU all the time - only the profiles are switched.

This is a good example that one profile is not enough ;)

These are my raw profiles (with a little bit of reverb added via KPA)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• The clean and moderate stuff really sounds great with that "in the room" sound :thumbup:

Yes, the high gain profiles sounds great also when played via large monitors at high volume.
    If I play them via my PC speakers (B&W MM1) then the bass 'farts' to much - this can be easily reduced by putting an EQ before the KPA amp block (in slot D) and reduce the bass - then we get a 'faster' and more 'close miked' sounding tone.

But my goal was to get the Elmwood 'in the room' sound as close as possible into my KPA.
    I tried hours for hours with all my mic's, different positions, combinations and preamps - but it all sounded not at all close to the Elmwood - so I tried the far field stuff and it worked :):)