Several months down the line: It's not the Kemper that's the problem

• Hi everyone,

I've had my toaster for the better part of six months, and overall I'd been very unimpressed. The issue was a lack of presence to the sounds, made even worse when tracking.

But I resisted selling it mainly because so many good, experienced players get great results on records, tours, youtube etc. Basically I thought: it must be me that's the problem. I've recorded a lot, made records and done session work for TVCs, but I'm pretty inexperienced at working unassisted: always had an engineer to lean on.

I looked all over for solutions and had resorted to weird workarounds like direct profiles and IRs in Logic.

Then I had an unintended breakthrough:

My wife bought me a new imac for my birthday, for the purpose of replacing my four year old Macbook pro in my recording setup. Completely out of the blue.

I set up the imac, loaded up logic and rig manager, set up my UA Apollo and plugged in my Kemper. BAM. Everything is great. No blanket over the sounds.

Basically there must have been some changed setting on my Macbook, logic or UAD console I couldn't find. Someone who knows that stuff backwards would probably have been able to spot it, but I couldn't.

I push the global EQ presence a bit and still find the MBritt stuff a touch warm, but there are loads of profiles that sound awesome.

It's a hell of a relief. Very glad I stuck with it. I love amps, and the Kemper is an amp nerd's dream.

• Well, actually I'm not sure that a new iMac will necessarily outperform a 4 year old MacbookPro.
    Depends on the specs (of both).
    And most certainly there has to be a wrong setting with the older machine (perhaps in conjunction with the audio interface).
    I'd scrutinize this again, but kudos to your wife anyway. :)