CLASSIC NOISE GATE

• i'd like an option for the noise gate section to switch to a "classic noise gate" meaning adjusting threshold, speed etc. the integrated noise gate cuts the treble and kills the attack, and i only use noisegates to bring down high gain noise when not playing (guitar volume down). so... an option (in this slot, which you could access by turning the gate knob) to use a classic gate would be awesome.. but please do not use another stomp box slot for that!

• While I like the current noise-gate - yes, you are right it would be great if we could switch to a classic one or even better get deep editing for it.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• I have to agree that the noise gate needs a bit of improvement.
    While it cuts the noise pretty great, it has a prob: take a highgain profile with high distortion, then roll your volume pot on the guitar back to 1 to clean up the tone. If the noise gate is engaged you get a really strange warbly/doubly sound. If you switch the noise gate off - you get a super sweet clean sound (with a touch of amp noise, obviously)

• You know the "Hard gate" in the HD500 is pretty awesome. It has separate trigger and release controls and is perfect for serious chugging, if the KPA had somethign similar with control over how much "knee" there was (from none to full volume range) then that would cover every eventuality I can think of. Although to make it even more awesome it would be nice to have something that adjusted the eq/bandpassing during the transition in order to avoid that perceived loss of frequency that you get with any kind of soft gate.

• I have to agree that the noise gate needs a bit of improvement.
    While it cuts the noise pretty great, it has a prob: take a highgain profile with high distortion, then roll your volume pot on the guitar back to 1 to clean up the tone. If the noise gate is engaged you get a really strange warbly/doubly sound. If you switch the noise gate off - you get a super sweet clean sound (with a touch of amp noise, obviously)

+ 1000

You're not deep, you're not an intellectual, you're not an artist, you're not a critic, you're not a poet...you just have internet access

• i always turn it off, so it's probably because somethings needs to be improved here, so +1, at least for some rework.

• You know the "Hard gate" in the HD500 is pretty awesome.

Line 6 gate are really great, even in the pod 2.0 it works very good.
    It just cut off the noises (pshhhh) but nothing else, you can let die your note, even with a lot (A LOT) of gain, without breathing sound or cutting your note.

A gate like this in the kemper would be great !!

• +1 for in-depth noisegate controls

i find the noisegate ok for low to mid gain sounds, but have a hard time when placing a 'green screamer' in front of a distorted amp. strangely, i use less gain than with the amp gain alone in some higain factory patches that are still dead quiet without the gate killing dynamics or messing with the pick attack.

• I agree here - with the metal stuff I play, having the option to control more parameters on the gate, as well as having it set on a "per patch" basis as an additional effect if needs be, is quite important.

• I agree here - with the metal stuff I play, having the option to control more parameters on the gate, as well as having it set on a "per patch" basis as an additional effect if needs be, is quite important.

It is already saved per rig

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• It is already saved per rig

That´s right. But as soon as you use the lock function on the input section, the individueal noise gate settings are overridden. I am pretty sure that 90% of all KPA noise gate problems are due to this fact that many users are not aware of this. I already made the suggestion to the support to "decouple" the noise gate from the input lock function. Lets hope they change this.

• I am pretty sure that 90% of all KPA noise gate problems are due to this fact that many users are not aware of this.

Nope. I never use the lock function. The noisegate is problematic in its characteristic to produce a sound that is warbly/doubly/sitar-like. This is especially obvious when you roll back your volume pot on the guitar on a highgain patch with active noisegate. Even with low noisegate settings. It is impossible to get a good clean sound with the noisegate active this way.
    If you switch off the noisegate, you get all the magic back

• Nope. I never use the lock function. The noisegate is problematic in its characteristic to produce a sound that is warbly/doubly/sitar-like. This is especially obvious when you roll back your volume pot on the guitar on a highgain patch with active noisegate. Even with low noisegate settings. It is impossible to get a good clean sound with the noisegate active this way.
    If you switch off the noisegate, you get all the magic back

Strange. I only have this behaviour if i turn up the noise gate to values over 2.0. I normally stay around 0.3 to 1.0 which gives me enough noise reduction while it has no impact on the tone when rolling back the volume when switching to single coils.

What i would really like to see is the option to define a noise gate minimum and maximum value which would change dynamically based on the amp gain setting.

• Usually I stay between values of 1.0 and 2.0 as well.
    But on some profiles, I use a lot of gain and have to turn the noisegate up to around 2.5 - 2.9. It works fine as long as you don't need your guitar to clean up when you roll off the volume pot. In the latter case, I have to switch off the noisgate to get a good clean up.

• Yes, but at the expense of not allowing me the versatility of having an individual gate config AND a locked input sens, which is a very useful tool live. ;)

I'm busy setting up Rig sets (max 10 rigs) for each of my guitars, I don't use the lock function.

All what you would need to do is just set the input sense (you can save it as a preset) to the appropriate value before to press store.

Don't know you, but I rarely use more then 5 different rigs in the same evening...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• That´s right. But as soon as you use the lock function on the input section, the individueal noise gate settings are overridden. I am pretty sure that 90% of all KPA noise gate problems are due to this fact that many users are not aware of this. I already made the suggestion to the support to "decouple" the noise gate from the input lock function. Lets hope they change this.

I believe that "decoupling" noise gate from input lock function would be important.
    When we use the same guitar we like to lock input sensivity, but we still want noise gate saved per rig...