RCF NX 12-SMA with the KPA?

• So, I'm not a very patient guy and I don't care how good the Atomic CLR will be, I think I'm just going to get myself an RCF NX 12-SMA for both regular home playing and live use. I think if I remember correctly, mDan is using the KPA with this system, but there may be others, too. What are your experiences with the RCF + KPA? Do they interact well? Can the KPA get a nice guitar-like sustain and feedback through the NX 12?
    Thanks!

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• I've give it a run in my local shop and it sounds fantastic, definitely better then the QSC k-10. I'm also looking at 1 of them, though at home volume level I prefer my studio monitors, the RCF is REALLY loud.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I've give it a run in my local shop and it sounds fantastic, definitely better then the QSC k-10. I'm also looking at 1 of them, though at home volume level I prefer my studio monitors, the RCF is REALLY loud.

Sounds great! I live in a nice big house, so volume is not an issue! Still going to get some studio monitors for studio work, tho. What do you recommend?

• It all depends on budget, I've chosen the iKey Audio over the KRK 8" and the Yamaha 8" based on quality, not price. The Adams AX7 were objectively better, but out of my price comfort zone.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• The RCF NX 12-SMA is a entry price point professional level solution; it's been in service here both live gigging and rehearsal for me the past few months and I could not be happier with it. Very clear, very loud, excellent headroom and build quality is notable. There are good 'wedges', good 'speakers' and then there are professional level products. This is a good one. Highly recommended you check it out.

• The RCF NX 12-SMA is a entry price point professional level solution; it's been in service here both live gigging and rehearsal for me the past few months and I could not be happier with it. Very clear, very loud, excellent headroom and build quality is notable. There are good 'wedges', good 'speakers' and then there are professional level products. This is a good one. Highly recommended you check it out.

Thank you very much! How does it pronunce the mids? Is it good for low and high mids, the most important frequency range for the guitar?

• Thank you very much! How does it pronunce the mids? Is it good for low and high mids, the most important frequency range for the guitar?

It does not 'pronouce' the mids at all; it's exceptional in exactly how flat it is. It is flat across the entire spectrum; not razor flat aka "reference" flat; but it's remarkable in how well it communicates whatever you put into it.

• It does not 'pronouce' the mids at all; it's exceptional in exactly how flat it is. It is flat across the entire spectrum; not razor flat aka "reference" flat; but it's remarkable in how well it communicates whatever you put into it.

Ah, I understand, thanks! So, with knowing that a guitar speaker is very mid pronounced, how different is the RCF from, say, a PA + guitar cab in terms of tone and feel?

• I wonder if the 'DSP Processor' adds some more latency to the signal flow.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I wonder if the 'DSP Processor' adds some more latency to the signal flow.

I've tried it with the KPA and I couldn't hear/feel any added one (though that doesn't necessary mean is not there).

• Ah, I understand, thanks! So, with knowing that a guitar speaker is very mid pronounced, how different is the RCF from, say, a PA + guitar cab in terms of tone and feel?

Very different. Moreso than a guitar cab than a PA speaker.

This is a premium FRFR solution. I'd suggest you spend some time on the Fractal Forum in the Amps & Cabs section.

The tone and feel in FRFR come from your preamp; the speaker only amplifies what your preamp puts out. If it is flat output, then you get out what you put in. It's a VERY different paradigm than running a power amp and conventional guitar cab/speaker.

• As I've never ever tried a FRFR solution, I can only imagine.
    So, let's say, a guitar cab is something that is kinda nasal, narrow banded, with being punchy and very characteristic.
    In my imagination the FRFR would be something that is totally clean and clear, flat, not so punchy and characteristic but providing a very reliable and "3D" open sound. Am I more or less correct?

• As I've never ever tried a FRFR solution, I can only imagine.
    So, let's say, a guitar cab is something that is kinda nasal, narrow banded, with being punchy and very characteristic.
    In my imagination the FRFR would be something that is totally clean and clear, flat, not so punchy and characteristic but providing a very reliable and "3D" open sound. Am I more or less correct?

Somewhat. You've heard your amps; you've heard recorded guitars and you've heard mic'd up guitars at shows. FRFR is akin to running a mic'd up amp through a PA. The better the speaker, the flatter the response with FRFR so you merely hear exactly what you put into it coming out of it without color or timbre changes. As with anything, there are a range of performance (roughly following along with the budget price point) in how well a given speaker/speaker system performs this task.

Think of running FRFR as doing everything you do in your signal chain inside the KPA - including the cabinet - and then merely using the FRFR box to amplify it... not color it.

• Somewhat. You've heard your amps; you've heard recorded guitars and you've heard mic'd up guitars at shows. FRFR is akin to running a mic'd up amp through a PA. The better the speaker, the flatter the response with FRFR so you merely hear exactly what you put into it coming out of it without color or timbre changes. As with anything, there are a range of performance (roughly following along with the budget price point) in how well a given speaker/speaker system performs this task.

Think of running FRFR as doing everything you do in your signal chain inside the KPA - including the cabinet - and then merely using the FRFR box to amplify it... not color it.

So this means that if I'm planning on using the KPA live and I really want to utilize what it does the best - profiling different sounding amps and cabs - then my best way to go is an FRFR solution, because it will be the best choice for giving that kind of versatility back?

• So this means that if I'm planning on using the KPA live and I really want to utilize what it does the best - profiling different sounding amps and cabs - then my best way to go is an FRFR solution, because it will be the best choice for giving that kind of versatility back?

IMHO, yes. Others have differing opinions.

• So this means that if I'm planning on using the KPA live and I really want to utilize what it does the best - profiling different sounding amps and cabs - then my best way to go is an FRFR solution, because it will be the best choice for giving that kind of versatility back?

The goal of FRFR would be to accurately reproduce the cabinet profiling in the KPA. Due to the coloration and limited high frequency response of a guitar speaker you would probably have to turn off the cabinet section in the KPA if you used a guitar cab.

• I have just taken a look at the fractal forum topic.
    Very interesting.
    I guess I will pull the trigger on one of those as soon as they are available at Thomann.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln