Having trouble profiling a preamp... Please help!

• I'm (obviously) a n00b and having no success while trying to profile my Digitch GSP21 Legend rack preamp. My understanding is that the Kemper basically treats this guitar signal processor like a modeler. So, I have my Kemper PowerHead connected to the GSP21 as follows:

Guitar to Input of Kemper PowerHead (KPH)
    KPH Direct Out/Send to Input of GSP21
    GSP21 Output (left mono) to Return Input of KPH

I'm monitoring with headphones.

When turning the KPH knob to "Profile", I hear the Reference Amp, the GSP21, perfectly. All effects on a particular preset/patch are sounding just like I had connected my headphones directly into the GSP21. However, when listening to the Kemper amp, I can only hear the last preset I was on while in browse mode. I'm not hearing the GSP21 at all.

So, my questions are, do have things connected properly? I read the manual and also read a thread on how to model an Axe FX II, but I don't know if it would be the same connections as trying to model my GSP21.

Also, is it even possible to profile individual patches/presets from the GSP21, with the active effects from the preset? For example, if I'm trying to profile a clean GSP21 preset called "Canyon Chorus", will the Kemper be able to detect the amount of chorus and delay in that preset, then create a profile of it? I'm thinking these profiles would be Direct profiles without a cab attached, but that's a few steps ahead of where I'm at right now.

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Kemper Power Head
    Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers, Marshall 1960A cab, 1976 Marshall 1959 SLP (sold), 1978 Marshall 2203 JMP
    A few Gibson SGs, PRS CU 24, ESP George Lynch Purple Tiger, Skulls & Snakes, Les Paul Standard, Frankenstrat, Taylor 314ce
    Atomic Amplifire (sold) :D

• Hello MisterScary,

You need to disable all the time-based effects in your GSP21, The KPA will only profile a distortion producing device (e.g. tube amp, or OD pedal + tube amp). It cannot profile a signal that contains modulations, delays and/or reverbs. You will either immediately receive an error message from the Kemper, or if the profiling process does complete, you will have a profile that sounds like garbage. So, any time-based effects need to be disabled, as these will throw off the capturing and successful construction of a profile. You will also need to defeat/disable any Cabinet simulation that might be present in the preamp. I am not sure if the old GSP21 had cabinet sims, but you will want to check on that.

Cheers,
    John

• Hi John. Thanks for the reply and info. It makes a lot of sense why I wasn't hearing the delay and chorus from my GSP21 preset. I must have been listening to the GSP21 when monitoring the "Kemper Amp" during the profiling process, but without the delay and chorus.

Thanks for the link too.

Cheers,
    Jim

Kemper Power Head
    Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers, Marshall 1960A cab, 1976 Marshall 1959 SLP (sold), 1978 Marshall 2203 JMP
    A few Gibson SGs, PRS CU 24, ESP George Lynch Purple Tiger, Skulls & Snakes, Les Paul Standard, Frankenstrat, Taylor 314ce
    Atomic Amplifire (sold) :D