Using KPA Live - Reverb Settings

• Just curious what everyone is doing in a live situation with their reverb settings. I see most profiles come with reverb "on" already to give it the "room" sound. I completely see the use of that in a studio situation but in a live situation where you're already in a large room or bar is it really necessary? Thoughts?

Onstage I am running the KPA to a 2x12 guitar cab with the cab off and FOH gets the profile with the cab. In my previous "tube amp life" I would not have run any reverb unless it was integral to a part. The KPA is a whole new world for me. What are everyone's preferences out there in the trenches?

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. Just a newb picking some power users brains.

Music is my religion.

• Personally I always have a bit of verb live these days. Actually, only since I got the KPA, I guess (unless it was a surf gig where there had to be buckets of spring reverb). It's probably just a case of it's there, so I use it. Not loads, just a subtle amount to stop it from being bone dry.

• For me, in a live situation, reverb setting typically need to be higher in a band context than it would be if you are at home. Also depends on the room. Some rooms are very "dry" or "dead" sounding. Currently I am using the Hall reverb setting found in a lot of Top Jimi's profiles with the mix tied to an expression pedal. Works really well.

• I guess some of it depends on the kind of music you play as well. For jazz and lighter music I can see the application being useful. I play loud modern rock music and in my IEM mix it does seem like the reverb does push the guitar back in the mix a bit too far. Thank you for the input. I'll play around with a lighter verb mix and no verb at all and see. Maiden voyage for my KPA is June 23 & 24 so I have a little more time experiment.

Music is my religion.

• I use Reverb as an affect live for specific sounds (like a cavernous Reverb), not to make the guitar sound "bigger". To me, Reverb pushes the guitar back into to mix, and makes it sound smaller.

I use Delay, instead. A few repeats, mixed low, at 200ms or so.

I pretty much agree with this...especially the delay setting. However, truth be told, I still need some reverb. I also have been in situations described by @Satch4u3 , in which the venue is so acoustically dead, that it could almost be mistaken for a NASA anechoic chamber. I definitely crank up the good ole 'verb in those situations. :)

Cheers,
    John

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().