What wireless system do you trust?

• The reason I bought the digital wireless system was portability. It has a tiny bug jack and receiver that fits in a guitar case for flying shows. For smaller shows it is great and the signal is hard to distinguish from a lead.

In the end my old Sennheiser EW100 is a lot more robust in these situations where there are many wireless signals, although I'm not sure it is legal in some countries?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• What about the cumulated latency when using multiple digital devices? G30 (4ms), Kemper (3ms), Digital Mixer like x32 (about 2ms), active PA speakers with dsp (don´t know...maybe 4 ms as well). When does it start to become a problem? Should we use analog wireless systems to cut down the latency a bit?

• You can test this by yourself to get an impression. Grab your KPA, dial in a delay post stack with maybe 10 - 15 ms, Mix 100%, and hear what happens.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• So I think i am going to give the Shure GLXD4 a shot and skip Line 6 this time around. I keep seeing so many "Line 6 dropping signal" posts on the internet, and even though I only had that problem once, it was at an outdoor festival in front of a lot of people, in a band where I am the only guitarist.

The Shure seems to get great reviews and a lot of people have went from the Line 6 to Shure. I also like the 16 hour rechargeable battery idea.

It also supposedly constantly scans channels for interference and seamlessly switches between them to avoid drop outs.

We shall see..

• I used to love my Sennheiser D1000.
    No tone loss, no companding...
    They don't make it anymore.
    But the 9 volt batteries were a pain in the ass.
    I tried the Line 6 but didn't like it...
    I've been using the Shure GLX-D Digital Wireless System - Guitar Pedal System
    It has been fantastic!
    Great tone
    Rechargeable lithium battery lasts forever...

• That is great to hear. I think I’m going to go with the version that has external antennas.

• I played the audio technica system 10 for years and it is simply great ... it changes automatically to the channel with the best qualitly permanently ...
    i played it in Munich on the marienplatz and if it works there ... i don't think any body will ever have problems ... but yeah downsides is battery consumption and the
    size of the transmitter but yeah ... that is not that much of a deal imo ...

• My system constantly scans for channels too, but the problem occurred in the same way as yours on two occasions. It is a Smooth Hound Classic and works flawlessly everywhere else. I just don't trust it at busy festivals with a large turnover of bands.

After speaking with the guy who created it and him sending me a brand new replacement unit, the problem still persists. He helped me trouble shoot too, but it is probably just a limitation of the 2.4ghz type of wireless system. There will be a limit to the amount of wireless signals on digital that can operate together.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Practising my guitar in the bedroom last night and the phone rang. I stood up, and trod on the guitar cable, yanking it right out of the guitar. Much to the annoyance of my DXR10. Every freakin' time!! Enough is enough. So, on the recommendation of a friend, and finally being swayed by this video, I've decided to take the plunge. My Smoothhound is on it's way. I ordered last night, and hope to have it by Thursday. I'll post my findings once I get a hold of it :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've not tried these myself yet, but I have a couple of friends who absolutely swear by the SmoothHound System. Seems a good price too.

http://www.smoothhound-innovat…EoUIjCjL10GzQHRoC5Irw_wcB

have 2 of them - no drops, but the sender is a bit wiggly and sensitive, especially if you have to switch guitars.
    Live, I'm using Shure GLXDD6, now - bit more solid and no drops. If faced with an wifi interference (channel overlapping), you can just switch to another channel.

Please be aware - if using 2.4GHz Band in an area with "non-wifi interferers" like Bluetooth, Microwave, motion detectors ... you might suck anyway unless you are eliminating the interferer source.

• have 2 of them - no drops, but the sender is a bit wiggly and sensitive, especially if you have to switch guitars.Live, I'm using Shure GLXDD6, now - bit more solid and no drops. If faced with an wifi interference (channel overlapping), you can just switch to another channel.

Please be aware - if using 2.4GHz Band in an area with "non-wifi interferers" like Bluetooth, Microwave, motion detectors ... you might suck anyway unless you are eliminating the interferer source.

I was using the Shure GLX-D for about a 6 months and had range problems and dropouts at 50% of shows. This one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/shure-glx-d-guitar-wireless-system-with-glxd4-wireless-receiver?pfm=item_page.rr1|CategorySiloedViewCP

The GLX-D has a good reputation, so at first I suspected it was my user error of some kind. I tried everything to resolve it but never got it to be reliable (scanning channels every show, new firmware, removing nearby devices, relocated and switched our rack router to 5ghz mode only, repositioned rack, repositioning bodypack, antenna orientation, different stage positions/distances, new body pack cables, , etc, etc,).

Maybe my unit had an issue/fault? I loved the body pack style and battery life, and the inbuilt batter charger on the receiver base station is awesome, but the number of signal drops understandably made it a no-go. I still have it, but it just lives in a dark drawer in the cold & lonely basement now. I don't feel good about selling it in case it does actually have a problem - so I'm stuck with it, and its basically just an expensive paperweight. :(

Bought a much cheaper Line-6 G50 and its been rock solid. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-relay-g50-digital-wireless-guitar-system Not as nice of a body pack, and the battery life is much less (still get about 4hrs out of a set of rechargeables though), but its been working great the last few months.

• Had the Line 6 G30, loved it but it was flimsy. I "updated" to the Shure GLX-D, and had problems. It was stable and I loved the battery/bodypack, but it had some underlying noise/interference with the signal. I recorded the noise and was sent a replacement, and it did exactly the same thing.

Ended up with a Line 6 G70. It is FLAWLESS! :)

• hey all,

anyone tried the thomann systems? that one looks cool, works with batteries, not so expensive, includes charger and fits in a case much better than a line 6 G10. https://www.thomann.de/fr/the_…76564c3b6966f20a817bf01dd

looking for reviews, cheers

EDIT: there is no pilot tone though, I don't know how important this is in the choice of a system

• For vocals we use 4 peace of thomann systems with a very good perfomance and much cheaper than the Top Dogs (shure, sennheiser etc.)

https://www.thomann.de/at/the_tbone_free_solo_pt_18_ghz.htm mounted in 2 racks https://www.thomann.de/at/thomann_rack_case_2u_shallow.htm
    with headsets https://www.thomann.de/at/akg_c_520_l.htm

For the guitar I am still using Line 6 G30 - it works since years without any problem. (but with a tape for the battery closing)

G10 I tried but had not so good experiences. I had problem with interaction to the wireless mouse of my notebook. I sent back.