Do I need a mixer in order to Profile

• I just connected my profiler to my Dr. z z-28 to profile it (my first profile). I connect my SM57 mic to the proper Return jack. Then, I plugged my amp to the Direct Output/Send jack. I plugged my guitar into the kemper input on the front.

I DO NOT have a mixer. Do I need one?

The first couple times I tried to begin profiling, I got the error message about amp not being connected or volume too low. When I flip back and forth between the reference amp and kemper the volumes coming out of the Z-28 cab seem to be the same level of volume. The error message came up a couple more times, so I just twisted the Return Level knob to the right (just to some random position) and it appeared to work and the kemper profiled the Z-28.

I have no idea why the error came up and what I did to solve it. Can you please explain it to me and go easy on me...

• As of now, both my reference amp and my kemper amp sounds come out of my reference amp speakers when I switch back and forth between the kemper and reference amp.

What does it mean that I can "monitor" my kemper through different speakers or mixer or headphones in order to compare it to the reference amp. I am assuming this means I can compare the sound coming out of my amp and its speaker to the profile I am making with the kemper and a different speaker and get them as close as possible. I have a NEO Atomic Wedge, could I use this as my "Monitor" and if so where would I connect it to and with what type of cable?

• Use the "compare" feature (whatever it's called - it's a soft button I think) during the refining process.

If you've got a set of 'phones plugged into the Kemper, that's obviously one of the flavours of monitoring you enquired about. The others should be self-explanatory now; it's all about that point in Profiling when you switch between the original source and the Kemper's Profile using the soft button.

• Can you tell me if I am connecting everything right in order to make a profile of an amp...

I plugged my amp's input to the kempers direct output/send using an instrument cable

I plugged my SM57 XLR cable to the Return

I plugged my CLR Atomic Wedge using an instrument cable to the Main left jack.

Then I turned the chicken head knob on kemper to the profile option and began to profile the amp. Step 1 told me check the volumes of both the kemper and reference amp, so using my ear I just turned the volume up on my CLR Atomic Wedge until the volume was approximately the same as the reference amps. I did not touch the Return Level volume knob at all (I am not sure what this knob does because when I do turn it one way or the other I don't hear any audible volume changes in the reference amp or the CLR.

Then I go to the next page and hit start profiling And it goes through all the weird noises.

Then I refine the profile a couple times and then I am done.

Am I doing this right? I have head phones but I have not used them for anything in this process. Let me know if there is a reason I should be using them.

Also, after I made my profile, my profile seemed to have a lot of white noise coming out of my CLR speaker, but when I switch over to the reference amp there is no white noise. Can anyone explain this?

Also, I use my amps standby switch to mute the reference amp in order to hear the Profile coming out of my CLR by itself. Is this appropriate to do?

• This is all explained in the manual in great detail: Profiling Guide. Including pictures. Your setup is most basic. While comparing Reference Amp and Profiler you don't hear the Profile via your reference amp and connected guitar speaker cabinet. How to monitor and compare the sounds, and the reason why the reference amp isn't muted while you select the Profiler sound is all covered in that manual ....