Main monitors for homestudio

• Guys, what do you use? I'm not talking about nearfields (Adam A5X here) or these ultra-expensive high end professional studio things. Let me explain: Nearfield monitors are providing a more or less neutral sound in a certain (mixing) spot. But when playing guitar I like moving around in my room, especially when playing to music from CD or MP3. That's why I'm looking for a more HiFi-solution with a wider stereo spread, but still want the flexibility PA equipment usually offers. Two examples:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_dave_8_roadie.htm

or more expensive

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hk_audio_lucas_nano_600.htm

My plan is to route both the stereo signal of my interface (Focusrite 8i6) and the KPA's stereo signal (main outs) to it and using a monitor controller for switching between the two monitor systems (nearfield and main) when needed. I have a treated 4m x 4m room (not ideal I know) and am planning to mount the satellites on the wall. Therefore they should not be too heavy. The subwoofer will not be placed in the middle of the two satellites, but from what I know this isn't necessary for a proper stereo image.

Thoughts? Experiences with the two above mentioned systems? Further suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I think what you are looking for is a small but good quality PA.
    Sadly I don't have any experience regarding them but this seems to be what your looking for. So maybe search for that term.
    I hope you'll find something you'll like :)

• You could try Opals, if you can afford them, 'Maniac.

They'll give you the accuracy you want, the peak headroom, power and mojo you need, and save you the backache you don't need. They'll save plenty of space in your room over a PA too, even a small one. 1000w peak, but with heaps of headroom; no unwanted distortion in these puppies.

Pricey, yeah, but best bang-for-the-buck monitors out there IMHO, without going esoteric, and, also IMHO, the aforementioned benefits sure are worth a helluva lot.

• Thanks guys! I know that a small PA is a bit overkill for my room. But if I'll ever play again outside of my room for some people, I already have a bit of equipment. That's what I meant with fexibility too. Plus I've read of some owners of the above mentioned PAs that they use it as a HiFi-system in their living room with good results.

The Opals are a bit too expensive...

• I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but around here there are amazing 70s receivers from Yamaha, Kenwood, etc as well as large older hi fi speakers for sale for next to nothing. Usually the shipping is half the price. If you are just looking for some volume and a wider stereo image it might be worth considering.

• I use JBL LSR305s. They have a great room sound for a nearfield style monitor. They are neutral, and they are designed to throw a very wide sound stage for how small they are. They are also great for mixing.

HIFI nerds like them and people use them for TV monitors as well. Plus, at $150 each, they are pretty affordable.

EDIT:
    This guy has some high end stuff come across his hifi channel and he says they might be the best speakers he has ever had on his desk.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but around here there are amazing 70s receivers from Yamaha, Kenwood, etc as well as large older hi fi speakers for sale for next to nothing. Usually the shipping is half the price. If you are just looking for some volume and a wider stereo image it might be worth considering.

Yeah this too. Old JBL studio monitors seem to get pretty hig praise from that period. (4100, L-100, 4410A, 4412A, 4311 etc). Search on gearslutz which ones are noteworthy.

• Thanks again for the suggestions, guys. I'm not sure yet which route to go, but I've reread some reviews about the two mini PAs mentioned above and they are also recommended for small parties (therefore for listening to music too).

Is it true that it's not so important to place the subwoofer in the middle of the two satellites to get a prober stereo image?

• Ok, so you plan to get even smaller woofers than you currently have (Adam A5X @ 5.5" vs. Small PA speakers @ 4" - 4.5").
    Seriously, I'm not sure that this will make you happy. Basically you go for less sophisticated speakers and compensate by an additional (smallish) subwoofer.

I would highly recommend to check something bigger, for example check the "LD Systems Dave 15 G3" instead of the smallish ones you had in mind. I'm sure it will make a huge difference.

One more thing to keep in mind:
    Instead of using wall mounts, you might want to consider ceiling mounts for one specific reason: A hard and tight connection to the wall (or ceiling) will pretty directly transmit the vibration into the wall or ceiling and thus you will likely be heard throughout the house.With a ceiling mount it's way easier to incorporate some dampening materials (rubbers, foams, ...) to decouple the speakers from the house structure.

Cheers
    Martin

• The two systems (see my first post) are 2.1 systems with a separate subwoofer (8" und 10"). Or do I miss something?

Thanks for the ceiling mount tip. Why is it easier to incorporate dampening material on the ceiling than on the wall?

• Why is it easier to incorporate dampening material on the ceiling than on the wall?

Sorry guys for answering in german this time. It's so much easier for me to explain :)
    Bei einer Wandhalterung hast du eine ziemlich starke Hebelwirkung des Arms. Er muss also sehr fest mit der Wand verbunden werden.
    Bei einer Deckenhalterung ist die Montage "hängend" und kann somit auch wesentlich leichter "federnd" ausgeführt werden, entweder mittels relativ weichen Gummipuffern zwischen Schrauben und Halteplatte und/oder Schaumplatten. Letztlich also nichts anderes als eine Federung, die den Lautsprecher von der festen Verbindung zur Decke "entkoppelt". :)

Sorry again @ all. Always trying english but this time it felt so much easier in german. :)
    Martin

• I go on in german...

Danke, Martin! Die Satelliten sind nicht besonders schwer (4,5 bzw. 1,2 kg), sodass sich die Hebelwirkung wahrscheinlich in Grenzen halten wird. Dennoch werde ich über deinen Tipp mit der Deckenmontage natürlich nachdenken. Wie meintest du das vorhin mit den Woofern?

• Wie meintest du das vorhin mit den Woofern?

Small woofers in speakers move way less air, so their bass response lacks a lot. If you go for 4 - 4.5" woofers in the main speakers, they will certainly sound very weak. That's where the additional subwoofer "helps" to compensate for the lack of "body". I'm 100% sure that your Adam A5X will already have a better bass response than the main speakers in the PA sets you had posted in your first post. I would highly suggest to go at least for 8" woofers in the main speakers. This will make a BIG difference to the Adam A5X, even without a separate subwoofer.

Do yourself a favour and stay away from these weak and tiny toy speakers. :)
    Even the relatively cheap Yamaha HS8 monitors will already provide you so much more "body" to the sound, even without an additional subwoofer. :)

• Martin, your opinion es highly appreciated, but I still don't get it. Why should the satellites have woofers? They're not intended for playing back bass frequencies. That's what the subwoofer is for. Plus I've read in a lot of reviews (not only from users but also from e.g. Bonedo.de) that the bass frequencies are played back very well through the subwoofers of the two above mentioned systems.

The HS8's are not for me, I think. They have the opening (don't know the correct word in english) for the bass frequencies on the back. My monitors are standing/will be mounted very close to a wall and from what I've read it's better to have the opening on the front. Maybe I'll go with KRK Rockits with 8" woofers...