Normal Master out levels? I can't get enough signal to my new interface

• I have been using a MOTU 896 but i have to move that back down stairs soon when i finish my dedicated music room/space so I just picked up a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 gen 2 for using upstairs at night and i'm confused because i have a super low line in level now. I used to run the master volume around 6 (-10db or so) and it was just about clipping when recording with the MOTU but with the Focusrite i can barely hit my meters at -10db in my daw with the master gain all the way up! The only way to get enough signal in this thing is to plug it in to the mic inputs on the front and increase the units gain which seems crazy.

Anyone have any ideas on the Kemper or Focusrite device?

Thanks

• Hi @chrismilne

The MOTU 896 you were using likely has a lower maximum input level that your Scarlett. I've been unable to find specs online for the 896 but the maximum input level on the rear line inputs of your 6i6 is +16dBu - this means that you could send in a +16dBu analogue signal before digital clipping occurs.

There's nothing inherently wrong with getting a -10dB signal in your DAW (in fact, I'd typically recommend aiming for -10dB or lower as the maximum level when recording to leave some headroom) - you can simply turn up the channel you're recording into (or the DAW master/your speakers) to compensate if you're used to recording at a higher level for any reason.

I hope this helps!

Jack // Focusrite Technical Support