Environment and Equipment to Make Profile

• if I make a profile of my amps in my basement, with no ISO cab or soundroom or mixer, with a SM57 mic can I make some quality profiles or will mine inevitably be sucky. I mean I may look at them and think they are great because I made them, but the rest of the kemper community would think they are just hotdogs compared to the steaks commercial profilers make like Michael Britt....

If I used a SM57 and got a ribbon mic, and profiled in my basement, what's to stop my profiles from sounding as good as theirs? And I am not asking this to be a prick, I really would like to know the answer because if you guys tell me that their profiles will inevitably crush mine, then I won't even waste my time aside from just tinkering around for the hell of it, but then I would just go buy some of Britts profiles.

I have a Victoria 45410 and a Dr Z z28 I think would be cool to profile, and I don't see a ton of their profiles out there. But if mine are gunna be mediocre then I'll just wait for a pro to make them and offer them for sale

• I just tried for the first time yesterday to do profiles, my DI profile is sweet dead on my amp played back through my cab and poweramp. However my full amp profile definitely lacks in any comparison to the commercial profiles I have, I do need to spend more time and experiment more but its just like trying to record your amp at home vs a studio, the equipment, mic placement, and room do come into play. It would seem the majority of profiles I have or love for frfr or full amp use have allot more behind them than just sticking a 57 in front of the cab and hitting profile, they have high end multi mics, preamps and allot of time in either recording or classes on recording.

• I'm only using headphones, but my favorite profilers are Top Jimi and Michael Britt. The amp factiry has some great stuff as well. maybe through some decent speakers they will sound different though.

• if I make a profile of my amps in my basement, with no ISO cab or soundroom or mixer, with a SM57 mic can I make some quality profiles or will mine inevitably be sucky. I mean I may look at them and think they are great because I made them, but the rest of the kemper community would think they are just hotdogs compared to the steaks commercial profilers make like Michael Britt....

If I used a SM57 and got a ribbon mic, and profiled in my basement, what's to stop my profiles from sounding as good as theirs? And I am not asking this to be a prick, I really would like to know the answer because if you guys tell me that their profiles will inevitably crush mine, then I won't even waste my time aside from just tinkering around for the hell of it, but then I would just go buy some of Britts profiles.

I have a Victoria 45410 and a Dr Z z28 I think would be cool to profile, and I don't see a ton of their profiles out there. But if mine are gunna be mediocre then I'll just wait for a pro to make them and offer them for sale

Some of my earliest profiles were done in a very low tech setting. I set my speaker up in my living room covered in couch cushions and used a simple mackie mixer to blend the 57 and ribbon mic. Where you put the mics and how loud you run the amp and what your tonal tastes are make the biggest difference, after the speaker and the amp, of course. I always recommend trying it yourself if you already have an amp/cab that you like and are familiar with. Then it's just trial and error moving the mics until they sound good to you.

The biggest issue with using more than one mic is phase and frequency cancellation/summing. I would recommend placing the mic elements the same distance from the speaker and as close together as you can. Granted, good results can be had doing it differently, but that's what I try to do.