Anyone Loving their Variax / JTV59 + Kemper Rig?

• Since I have the Kemper I feel the difference in sound quality much more than before.

Same here, Harry.

Through my old POD HD500 it kinda sounded like the shite (good). The second I plugged into the Kemper, not so much; suddenly I needed a real guitar.

That said, I still think the acoustic sims are great, and plan to use them in-the-mix for rock / pop stuff. I wouldn't dare use them solo, so I'll have to make sure I don't write anything for solo acoustic guitar as I don't have a "real" one.

• How good are the "stranger kind of sims" like the sitar or the banjo on the newer variax models;

I tried one in 2004 with a vetta and thought that I could do some work with these sounds but ofcourse only for some background "ambience"-kind of stuff in the mix..

So..have the newer variax improved sitar-sims compared to the older ones;Good enough to spend a few hundred bucks for one of them on ebay;

• IMHO, the sitar destroys the old one big-time, Nikos. Very-usable IMHO.

Didn't audition the banjo much as I didn't anticipate using it. That said, IIRC, it's less-plinky now.

The resonators rock, IMHO.

The semi-acoustic electrics are pretty-decent too.

The 12-string acoustic is also way better than it used to be. A minor tweak was made in the final or penultimate FW upgrade IIRC - something to do with the string detuning, important for "character" in 12-string guitars.

You know the deal - pretty much everything sounds way-better now than it did on the original V'Axes.

• That said, I still think the acoustic sims are great,

With a fishtail power bridge in the strat I reach a better acoustic sound as with the Variax. Even 12 strings seems better with the new pitch function of KPA.
    But also never I would use this for a acoustic solo work. Its worth for back ground stuff.

• I own the JTV-69 and run it through the Kemper with the John Mayer profiles from ToneJunkie. Mainly use the mag pickups, however I have a few songs that demand a Chime, Special, and Dobro sound. I find the acoustics sub par so I have routed my Martin through the FX Loop and save it into a patch.

• I've had a variax hooked with my Helix.

I've sold it for some reasons.

Into a FRFR system i found it's pretty convincing. It was hard with acoustic guitars at the beginning because you don't have the same feeling as with an actual one (no big sound/vibrations coming from the instrument itself), it's disturbing, you have to keep it in mind. The alt tuning is disturbing too because you ear distinctly the sound of strings, so you have to play at a louder volume to feel OK....

The couple Helix/Variax is really magic. I could play songs with an intro Capo 2 with an acoustic guitar, then play the verse with a strat on a fender TWin and the solo with a LP on a marshall... The Helix sends commands to the Variax so this is instantaneous by pressing only one switch !!!

Furthermore, the Variax is powered by the Helix via VDI cable.....

In my endless quest to improve my sound, i've bought a Powercab to have all the complete RIG and obtain that AITR.

At least, i've done some tests and realised that the sound was better with the Jack cable than with the VDI (more attack/response...)

The other thing that made me sell the Vx was that i wanted to have wireless so i couldn't have the Helix command and the powered anymore...

I didn't want to play with batteries and changes models with the Vx buttons when i'm gigging....The last thing, i've noticed is that i use to play the strat and the LP most of the time....So i play now with a LP like with humbuckers i can split....And eventually an acoustic guitar if needed....

• love my jtv59 changed Pickups to slash alnico pro2. Mbritt profiles work with the digital models, especially the strat, telecaster neck and bridge Position, the jazzmaster on the 4th position(blue mode neck).

Banjo and from acoutic the 3rd Position works good without amp and cab . Turn them off. You have to care to increase the bass.

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• I love my KPA, but the JTV59 not so much. I finally gave up on the JTV after having had one for about a year. The guitar played and sounded good, but couldn't cope with normal use. The proprietary rotary-switch would only last a few weeks. Repairs took forever (up to 3-4 months) due to proprietary parts that seemed to have to be made to order and shipped by boat from Asia for each repair. My JTV spent a lot more time in the workshop waiting for parts than I could actually play it. The idea is brilliant, but the execution miserable. That's my experience. YMMV.

• That's why I went through half a dozen JTVs over several years too, heldal.

Being Down Under made it take even longer than in your case - usually 4 or 5 months, but up to 9, and I had to keep calling the local wholesalers to remind them to push the overseas suppliers.

A total nightmare, but always worth it in the end for me. We've no option but to treat the knobs on these things with kid gloves, I'm afraid.

• two Fingers crossed, mine does work since 2013? and i use it a lot

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• two Fingers crossed, mine does work since 2013? and i use it a lot

I bought mine in 2011 and it is still going strong. The only part that I would like to replace is JTV-59 bridge posts. The holes for adjusting the height of the bridge has started to strip. I've asked if one could replace them or use another brand of bridge posts on their forum but I never had any replies. I've got a couple of "higher end" guitars and my Variax still stays one of my favourite guitars to play. I love it's neck and the tuning stability is the best out of all my guitars.

• i´m loving my jtv59 to Play

acoustic sample in soundcloud

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.