Power amp ONLY profiles?

• Has anyone done a power amplifier only profile? Power amp tone, absolutely no pre amp tone. Preferably DI.

I can not seem to find any. The idea is to run the Kemper as a PA + cab simulator for use with external preamps, pedals etc, in the studio. The Kemper will act as the "master volume".

Examples: Mesa, Marshall or VHT/Fryette. 6L6, EL34, KT88.

This could surely be done, right? :)

• Perhaps someone with better knowledge can chime in, but my initial thought is that the Kemper itself is a preamp and designed to be. I wonder if it's just a matter of turning off the Amp, EQ, and Cab stack on the front panel.

• I believe the Kemper can do either PRE or POST amplification well, just not both. I could be wrong though.

Surely it is possible to turn of the AMP + EQ in the STACK while leaving the CAB on.

Perhaps a LINEAR profile will do the trick, that way one could tweak the AMP parameters (sagging, bias etc.).

Doing one of those shouldn't be too hard.

• challange accepted :) i'll add some soon :) but at the moment i only have the Victory kraken at hand ^^ you can also try ma di profile of the zt lunchbox amp, that is a cool pedal platform
    i use ma kraken fav profile as a pedal platform with less gain and so on btw

• oh and for bass i just deactivate the amp and only leave the cabinet on ... that works well too imo

• Surely it is possible to turn of the AMP + EQ in the STACK while leaving the CAB on.

It is. @ColdFrixion has done so in the past using the Axe-FX amp model into a Kemper cab with really great results.

• deleted by mod

commercial post

• Well, I imagine it is might be possible to profile a dedicated tube power amp. However, assuming it works, you are just going to end up with a very VERY clean amp tone. I presume none of the power amps listed by @voidar would feature a DI Line Out (why would they?)...so, the power amp would have to be connected to a DI box suitable for making a Direct Amp profile, in which the DI box has a pass thru connection so that the power amp can be connected to an appropriate speaker cabinet load.

However -- and just thinking out loud,here -- I can imagine a potential issue. I presume the power amp will have to be fed some sort of preamp signal...otherwise there is nothing to amplify, and there is not going to be any significant signal level at the power amp's output. I imagine, in that case, the KPA would give you an error message if a profile is attempted. So either way, you still have some involvement and contribution by a preamp.

Cheers,
    John

• i have this old soldano designed poweramp here but for making the profiles sound good a bit poweramp distortion would be great BUT with out a preamp that is not possible ... what would you recommend? or waht would you like ? profiling it without a preamp would be so clean that the kemper makes a clean profile and so the distortion characteristics aren't capturedd well ...

i will try it later with a tube driven preamp (art)

• hmmm okay but i don't thing the kemper will then properly capture the sound of the saturation and compression and when driven hard then with pedals it will be tooo clean ... do you know what i mean? ... i think i will just make a few ...

• ahhh forget what i said :D i make them right now and it is totally okay ... i make them DI with a full volume ... mid volume and min volume setting ...

and it is the poweramp of my victory kraken ... i'll add some more later

• aaaaaand here they are ... 3 versions (MAX-, MID- and MIN Gain) and a copy for each version with a cab i made
    the Amp is like i said the Victory Kraken with 6l6 Tubes https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fq9…miQ88ugzIx6g4S5HNaka?dl=0

• aaaaand i did the same with this Starfield Tube poweramp https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0o1…igWGLKENLYA8g41FtBDa?dl=0 that sounds brighter then the kraken ...

i have mesa tubes here i'll swap them and upload them too soon

• Are there any other "power amp only" profiles out there? Or anyone willing to do some? Anyone with a Mesa or Engl power amp or heads with EL34 (or 6L6) power amp, who could do some more profiles?

I even tried to convince @Cili, but it seems not going to happen.

It would be so great to have some (more) power amp di profiles of some classics at hand (Engl 840, 810 or Mesa, Peavey/EVH heads).

I could combine them with merged cabs or IR and use them with my rack tube preamps like Engl E530, Laney IRT Pulse or pedals like EVH MXR 5150 Overdrive... Also I could run preamps of other amps (line out) through it...

Anyone? Or any idea, who I can ask for?

• How would you even accomplish this? You'd have to use some type of power soak or attenuation from the speaker out of the amp. I use a Radial Headload for live performance with my Uberschall and send the line out from it to my in ear monitors and to the FOH, I suppose I could try coming off the pre-eq line out of the Headload and input that into the Kemper for the profiling and use the send from the Kemper straight to the effects return of the Uberschall. That would bypass the preamp of the Uberschall and would essentially capture the power amp only... It would be a clean type profile I think... Unless the Kemper send can be cranked, because the effects return bypasses the master volume on my amp...