FW 5.3.0.13018 Public Beta Feedback Thread

• But that's not the way it was, was it? :huh: Previously (or at least last time I checked), when you turned the Master Volume knob and you had more than one output volume linked, it showed a meaningless 1-10 overall value that didn't have a fixed relationship with the actual volumes. Please correct me if this was no longer the case -- lately I always kept only the Main Output volume linked so that I would at least get an exact dB reading for that.
    What I was hoping for when I read the changelog, was that the linked output volume dB values would now always be displayed when turning the Master Volume knob, just like you described (with, perhaps, the green led rings around the knobs below the screen giving an additional rough indication). That was what I suggested a while ago in a feature request. I still haven't been able to try the new beta, but it seems that a rough indication is all you get now...

I never had my volumes linked. My Master volume only controlled the monitor output. So whenever I turned it, it instantly showed me the dB values. My XLR outputs were always just locked in at -18.

• so, linking to monitor outputs and headphone, what is the resultant display?(i'm not using beta)

you see all of the outputs represented in a horizontal graph bar representation for each output. The ones linked to the volume knob move corresponding to volume raised/lowered. The others stay at a fixed level set elsewhere.
    I have no issue with the graph bar missing the db reading. As a matter of fact I would like an option to disable seeing the screen when I move the volume knob. I use my ears and don't look at the screen.

• I never had my volumes linked. My Master volume only controlled the monitor output. So whenever I turned it, it instantly showed me the dB values. My XLR outputs were always just locked in at -18.

Ah, I see. Same as mine then, only Monitor instead of Main Output, and I specifically had it that way so I could see the dB value. Sounds like that's gone, which is a pity... :huh: (although since I started using spdif in the studio, thankfully I no longer have to change the main volume very often between different locations).

• you see all of the outputs represented in a horizontal graph bar representation for each output. The ones linked to the volume knob move corresponding to volume raised/lowered. The others stay at a fixed level set elsewhere.I have no issue with the graph bar missing the db reading. As a matter of fact I would like an option to disable seeing the screen when I move the volume knob. I use my ears and don't look at the screen.

That's, true, the ears are the best guide but I do sometimes find there is a little lag/delay when moving the volume knob so occasionally it requires a different amount of rotation to achieve the desired volume change. This could take numerous turns to get the required level whereas a visual indication of db (as is current on 5.2) gives instant visual confirmation that the level has been altered a desired amount.
    Unlike an analogue amp where you get exactly what the knob points at instantly, (even up to 11 ;) )

However, there is no set amount of levels due to the factors such as how loud the rest of the band are, room acoustics, position of other audio gear,etc,etc, so it's impossible to say 'my level is alway xx' i've never understood musicians who fix parameters/knobs (traditional amps) with tape or markers no more than youd permanently set a thermostat in a room for one user all year round
    Sorry, I've gone off topic a bit..

• Ah, I see. Same as mine then, only Monitor instead of Main Output, and I specifically had it that way so I could see the dB value. Sounds like that's gone, which is a pity... :huh: (although since I started using spdif in the studio, thankfully I no longer have to change the main volume very often between different locations).

That a pity indeed. We don't have separate foh/ae guy but many times some educated ears in front for most of the gigs and after soundcheck doing the (slight) db adjustments (raise in the heat of the jam) ourselves and kpa metering has sorked great for that purpose.

• Hi guys,

Huge thanks to the KPA Team for continuing to improve.

I've only updated here, even though I am constantly relying on my ears to understand best what I need, I do like the reassurance that technology supports my needs in all possible ways.

The dB values are crucial to me and I hope that can be re-considered.

Cheers.

Music is Key.

• I don't know, if it has been mentioned yet: with the new Beta, I can't switch off Reverb. Worse: I can't get the dry output of the reverb, only the delayed signal. On headphones, there is no problem. Any idea, what I'm doing wrong?

• Hmmm, Is it me or...

Before the 5.2 firmware your master volumes links would retain it's relative volumes: if you would set your master at 10, and monitor out (linked off course) to -30dB, and then sweet your master pot to 0 and back to 10, it would come out higher on the monitor out volume: lets say -20dB. That was fixed in 5.2: if 10 would equal -30, it would keep being -30...

Right now in 5.3, after a sweep of the master knob my monitor out will be 0dB!!! so -30 is somewhere at 0.7 on the master pot!

I'm using my monitor out of my powered Kemper for playing through an FRFR cab at home, with a 4,5 year old kid who loves to fiddle knobs when she doesn't get her ways, so this will eventually result in very loud mishaps ;)

On top of that: something that always annoyed me with the master volume: it's pretty sensitive: if you want to make a 3dB adjustment you have to be darn careful not to overdo it... Offcourse, if you want -infinite to 0dB adjustment in the usual potmeter travel, that's natural, but that's why I would set my master at 10, monitor output at -30dB: that would theoretically allow for finer adjustments within the -50 to -30 range (home volumes in my situation), but somehow that doesn't work.

• No matter what I try, the Phaser exhibits horrible clipping artifacts. Put in a post amp slot I get the full unfiltered goodness of earsplitting digital clipping. Can anybody confirm?

I have not yet tried the multitude of KPA reset options.
    Nor have I used the phaser for at least a few OS revisions.

EDIT: Had some more time to burn, turns out to be a very loud bunch of profiles.
    Had to tame them by taking 6dB off of the Amplifier volume to avoid overdriving the Phaser, which seems to have comparatively little headroom.
    The patches came with Delay and Reverb and I added a bunch of different FX in X and Mod slots.
    Only the Phaser 'complained' about the amp's level by distorting.

• ...something that always annoyed me with the master volume: it's pretty sensitive: if you want to make a 3dB adjustment you have to be darn careful not to overdo it... Offcourse, if you want -infinite to 0dB adjustment in the usual potmeter travel, that's natural, but that's why I would set my master at 10, monitor output at -30dB: that would theoretically allow for finer adjustments within the -50 to -30 range (home volumes in my situation), but somehow that doesn't work.

The coarseness is dependant upon the speed with which you turn the knob AFAICR, Joel, just like the Stack EQ knobs and so on.

• The Time displayed on the remote with the new beta fw. 5.3.0.1318B suddenly shows wrong time
    I switched off the KPA yesterday with the right time on the remote, but today when I powered up the time on the remote /and in the system menu on the kpa are 15 minutes before the right time.
    This has happened to med twice.
    Is this a bug ?

Kemper Stage, KPA head, Remote, JH Audio Lola IEM, Shure PSM 900 wireless System, L-Acoustics 108P active FRFR monitor.

• The Time displayed on the remote with the new beta fw. 5.3.0.1318B suddenly shows wrong time
    I switched off the KPA yesterday with the right time on the remote, but today when I powered up the time on the remote /and in the system menu on the kpa are 15 minutes before the right time.
    This has happened to med twice.
    Is this a bug ?

As far I have seen, the clock of the KPA is not very accurate. (At my KPA 5 min/day to fast)

It seems synchronized with computer time when RM is running or starting.