Profiling Procedure Question

• I'm going to dive in and try profiling some of my amps today. I have a hot plate that I used to plug all my tube amps into a Marshall 1960 4x12. i also have a Line6 4 x12 (stereo) and a Mesa 4x12 and a Marshall 1936. Should I just use the Hot Plate's direct outs or will I get better results micing up the 4x12s with an SM57? I don't have great recording mics (or technique!) since I've been recording direct for 10 years and sold off the mic (love to get a Royer 121 since those sound really good in the Axe and others modelers).

PS - I hate typing on an iPad.

• Well, there are already some very nice cabs (Including 1960 and mesa....thanks, Tyler) available and if you use the Hotplate all what you need to do is add the cab after profiling. Not a bad plan

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I actually stick my fingers on my ears while profiling. I guess use your best judgment when using more sensitive microphones, but if the mic is commonly used on guitar amps, it should be able to handle the SPLs.

• The process is as loud as you turn up your amp. All that needs to happen is that the KPA gets a good enough signal. So you can either use a passive mic like an SM57/58 and turn up your amp real loud. Or you could use a mic pre and then profile at a lower volume. I didn't find the profiling to be that much louder than playing guitar through the amp, so don't be too scared. Use the volume that you'd normally record at.