Kemper high end and fizz

• Yep. In the case of removing fizz it's easy. For instance, with a spectrum analyzer you can clearly see activity in the 9.3KHz range in the OP's sample, so I'd do the same thing in the KPA that I did using Samplitude. I'd use a Studio EQ in one of the post cab effects slots and set the Mid Frequency to 9372KHz with a slightly narrow Q and cut it by approximately 6dB.
    In Samplitude, I actually made a 6.9dB cut @ 9.3k.

Anyway, you can do the same thing in the KPA if you know what frequency you're looking for(I use a spectrum analyzer). EQ matching is obviously another story.

I use EQ to cut fizz because I've found that cutting presence or treble is akin to using a machete to remove a splinter.

I tried this last night on my beloved MBritt 70 SL3 which sometimes had that high end fizz especially when using the neck pickup.. it really cleans up the sound. thanks for the tip!

• Yep. In the case of removing fizz it's easy. For instance, with a spectrum analyzer you can clearly see activity in the 9.3KHz range in the OP's sample, so I'd do the same thing in the KPA that I did using Samplitude. I'd use a Studio EQ in one of the post cab effects slots and set the Mid Frequency to 9372KHz with a slightly narrow Q and cut it by approximately 6dB.
    In Samplitude, I actually made a 6.9dB cut @ 9.3k.

Anyway, you can do the same thing in the KPA if you know what frequency you're looking for(I use a spectrum analyzer). EQ matching is obviously another story.

I use EQ to cut fizz because I've found that cutting presence or treble is akin to using a machete to remove a splinter.

Will be trying this at home.

I found great tone with Sinmix MesTriple pack profiles and a green scream in the effects slot I did notice however the fizz at the top end. I used a graphic EQ and have the highest frequencies murdered completely, helped but it's still there to a degree and changed the whole tone also (not a bad thing). I was considering a real overdrive also between the guitar and the amp. Someone else mentioned it works well so might be on my shopping list along with the Freqout and FRFR solution.

Another thing - I'm listening through headphones and hearing the fizz. I'm sure in a live situation it would be not noticeable at all.

Edited once, last by tubelube ().

• Will be trying this at home.
    I found great tone with Sinmix MesTriple pack profiles and a green scream in the effects slot I did notice however the fizz at the top end. I used a graphic EQ and have the highest frequencies murdered completely, helped but it's still there to a degree and changed the whole tone also (not a bad thing). I was considering a real overdrive also between the guitar and the amp. Someone else mentioned it works well so might be on my shopping list along with the Freqout and FRFR solution.

Another thing - I'm listening through headphones and hearing the fizz. I'm sure in a live situation it would be not noticeable at all.

Personally, I've found it essential to use a spectrum analyzer to hone in on and isolate exactly where fizz is located. Some people prefer to just use their ears, but I've found this often results in removing more high end than necessary. 9.3KHz was effective in the example above, but it's definitely not a one size fits all frequency for eliminating fizz, which I've found can be located anywhere in the 4.5k - 9.5k range.

• Personally, I've found it essential to use a spectrum analyzer to hone in on and isolate exactly where fizz is located. Some people prefer to just use their ears, but I've found this often results in removing more high end than necessary. 9.3KHz was effective in the example above, but it's definitely not a one size fits all frequency for eliminating fizz, which I've found can be located anywhere in the 4.5k - 9.5k range.

Can you get software to do this and will it work with an audio interface or do you need special equipment.

• Can you get software to do this and will it work with an audio interface or do you need special equipment.

It's all software (VST plugins) on my end. There are quite a few software based (plugin) spectrum analyzers out there, and yes, they'll work with your audio interface assuming you're using a DAW like Reaper or some such. The one I use is called H-EQ by Waves, but Voxengo makes a free one called SPAN.

• Valid advice for high end fizz, and I am not detracting from that. But just to make sure there is no confusion, the EQ notch method for fizz is for instances of plain old high-end fizz

However, the rasp, congestion and thin "phasey" solo notes found in many profiles are an entirely separate matter, not simply some high end fizz that can be EQ-notched out.

Sonic

• Valid advice for high end fizz, and I am not detracting from that. But just to make sure there is no confusion, the EQ notch method for fizz is for instances of plain old high-end fizz

However, the rasp, congestion and thin "phasey" solo notes found in many profiles are an entirely separate matter, not simply some high end fizz that can be EQ-notched out.

In this case though, the fizz in question has all the earmarks of the standard issue variety.

• What some people forget...you always amplify a existing signal / EQ curve
    No matter if Kemper or Real Amp.
    So in many cases from my experience...the fizz or harsh highend comes from the Guitar/pickups/string choice etc
    and not from the Amp..micing or Profile.

For example..just watch the guitar Demos from Session.de on youtube. Some say "damn this JVM sounds harsh..trebly" and i tell you - no its the used guitar/pickup in the specific video!
    in some other videos from them with other guitars, the JVM just sounds perfect.
    They always use this amp..because it shows perfect the good and weak points of every guitar.

I often have Guitar DI tracks that have been send to me with which i struggle. No matter which amp is use..no matter which profile..no matter if i mic up the Amp and change micing...
    Some things are simply always there - because you always amplify them. You can only live with that and EQ things later

Sonic

Strange, when I first got my Kemper there was a horrible double / phasing on the high notes. I spent weeks researching it and others had the issue too. This was years ago. Finally through a series of resets and flash initiation I was able to get it to go away, now Kemper will not acknowledge this but after my Kemper sounded SO much better. Not a single phase issue. Not saying this is you problem but.....

• oh my

• I wanted to do an update on this since I wasn't entirely convinced it wasn't a hardware issue with my unit.

I tracked another part and recorded the DI signals though my J48 DI box into my Profire 2626 and through my Kemper front end going spdif into the interface, then level matched and reamped though my spdif loop. I'm noticing some differences that I pointed out in my original post. The J48 reamp had less congestion overall a bit more punch and dynamics on the low end and a less static high end fizz.

The track is j48 di first then the Kemper DI. I took two sections and did a low pass/ high pass to highlight the differences I'm hearing.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anyone else experience this?

• It says "j48 di first then the Kemper DI" in his post :thumbup:

Thanks, I totally missed that line... :D:whistling:

This makes the differences even more interesting.
    the added high and low end might also be resonances from the j48's circuit/transformer or a mildly cut back midrange.

I think I'll try to do some measurements to the Profilers Input circuit when I find the time.