QOST & Muse rigs

• hey all,

I will audition as a guitarist for a band in the next weeks. they ask me to get ready for:
    - no one knows from queens of the stone age
    - plug in baby from muse

any rigs suggestions for these ? I am on on a PAF style LP which I assume will work better on QOST
    cheers

• From, the producer, Eric Valentine:

The main guitar sound on "No One Knows" was a combination of 3 amps. It was one of the Peavy solid state amps, an Ampeg VT40 and this crazy Tube Works amp that he pulled out of storage. The guitar sounds were challenging. Sometimes the sound coming out of the amps was not particularly musical and at the very least intensely unconventional. I would put a lot of mics in front of the amps and in the room so there would be a lot to choose from in the control room. I would just start playing with combinations of mics and amps until something would fall into place. One thing that was pretty consistent with micing is that we tended to use off axis positions for the mics. The amps were so scratchy and gritty sounding that it just didn't work to put a mic anywhere near the cone of the speaker. His main guitar at the time was an Ovation electric guitar. It had a somewhat dull sound that worked well for the tuned down fuzzy sound. The only fuzz pedal used was a Foxx octave fuzz of some sort. It belonged to Alain Johannes. I have to say the guitar sounds were difficult. It took a lot of patience and experimentation to get the sounds that ended up on the record. Here is a pic from one of the guitar tracking setups. you can see one of my over zealous efforts to find a mic that would compliment the sound coming out of the Ampeg V4B.